PDA

View Full Version : Virgin talking 100Mb

thighguy_uk
16-12-2008, 14:46
http://tech.uk.msn.com/news/article.aspx?cp-documentid=11943957

Jonathan90
16-12-2008, 15:07
"We could have launched 100Mb today if we'd wanted," he said, "we're not capacity constrained.

LMAO can barley do 2mbit in some areas. what a joke

nutellajunkie
16-12-2008, 15:41

Does someone need a hug?

Toto
16-12-2008, 16:07
Been talked about for over two years.

Stephen
16-12-2008, 16:14
They actually mentioned 200MB yesterday as well, saying they could launch that in the next few years.

Jonathan90
16-12-2008, 16:18
na my connection nice m8 just some people have massive over subscription ol

Impz2002
16-12-2008, 16:18

Why o why wont people realise that the new DOCSIS 3 network is totally seperated from the existing DOCSIS 1.0 network. VM Could provide a 100meg service if they wished and the only reason some people have bandwith issues is due to oversubscribed UBR's. Once the 50meg rollout is complete and the 10 and 20 meg users are pushed onto the DOCSIS 2.0 network alongside the 50 meg people will notice a vast improvement in thier service. You have to remember that each revison of DOCSIS has created better and more efficient ways of providing bandwith to users. Give it time !

Impz

Pierre
16-12-2008, 16:24
200meg is achievable with Docsis 3.

There's a lot of network to install and upgrade.

But at least it is happening

cimt
16-12-2008, 16:43
Why o why wont people realise that the new DOCSIS 3 network is totally seperated from the existing DOCSIS 1.0 network. VM Could provide a 100meg service if they wished and the only reason some people have bandwith issues is due to oversubscribed UBR's. Once the 50meg rollout is complete and the 10 and 20 meg users are pushed onto the DOCSIS 2.0 network alongside the 50 meg people will notice a vast improvement in thier service. You have to remember that each revison of DOCSIS has created better and more efficient ways of providing bandwith to users. Give it time !

Impz

I read somewhere today that 10 and 20 where being put onto DOCSIS 3.0? Must of been a spelling error.

Impz2002
16-12-2008, 16:51
I read somewhere today that 10 and 20 where being put onto DOCSIS 3.0? Must of been a spelling error.

No, let me explain.

DOCSIS 3 hardware is backwards compatible, as is DOCSIS 2 hardware. the VM 255 and 256 modems are DOCSIS 2. they currently run on DOCSIS 1 as this is the hardware originally installed in the UBR's

once they are moved onto the new 10k chassis (DOCSIS 3 Hardware) they will use the more efficient DOCSIS 2 protocol.

The main point is that DOCSIS 3 hardware is backward compatible so you can connect DOCSIS 1, 2 and 3 modems to it.

Impz

Jonathan90
16-12-2008, 17:07
Just cause there on this new docsis thing they still only have such amount of bandwidth to use what happens when that gets saturated? oversubscription? no idea just a thought cause you know they ain't gonna upgrade to more.

Jonnymeg
16-12-2008, 17:20
Just cause there on this new docsis thing they still only have such amount of bandwidth to use what happens when that gets saturated? oversubscription? no idea just a thought cause you know they ain't gonna upgrade to more.

The point is that DOCSIS 3 is more efficient so it will take more strain to saturate the system than the current one. By the time it does reach that point there will be other protocols that are even more efficient waiting to take over.

Impz2002
16-12-2008, 17:27
By the time it does reach that point there will be other protocols that are even more efficient waiting to take over.

DOCSIS 3 will be the standard for a long long time. It was designed to be scalable and is capable of 400Mbit/s + downstream and 100Mbit/s + upstream in its current guise.

As analogue TV channel are removed it creates more spectrum which could see future drafts of the DOCSIS 3 standard reach 1Gbit/s. It all depends on how many channel's you want to bond !

Impz

m419
16-12-2008, 21:55
They need to launch 100MB in Bournemouth and some places in Scotland to compete with Fibrecity(H20) A.S.A.P before launching it anywhere else first.

H20 might be a flop since they won't be offering tripple/quad play services.

Furthermore, H20 won't be able to afford to offer tripple/quad play services because they are splashing out on a new network,so by the time they complete the rollout, they will need to make some money first, Virgin Media however is already set up and able to offer TV,Telephone,Mobile and High Speed Broadband to the same speeds and most homes already have the cabling installed, H20 however would need to dig up the pavement and install cabling from the drop to sewers to the property which will cost some money.

Virgin Media may find using sewers or BT's existing ducts more affordable when expanding to new cities.

sk8er_boi6000
16-12-2008, 22:19
They keep putting these things out and apparently have so much available bandwidth on their networks, yet they are still desperately trying to justify their need for STM

Laughable

n0c0ntr0l
16-12-2008, 22:29
You guys really don't understand. DOCSIS 3.0 is from the exchange to the user, however Virgin have to cap because they are out of Fibre capacity from exchange to exchange and exchange to gateways. This is where their problem is. They refuse to increase the amount of fibre due to the costs of digging the places up, however without doing this they simply cannot provide the bandwidth that they need for people to see this 100Mb/s they speak of. It's all well and good if I connect to my exchange at 200Mb/s but if the bandwidth from my UBR is only 5Gb/s in total and 300 people are expecting at least 128KB/s then its not going to happen. And THAT is why they are throttling.

General Maximus
16-12-2008, 22:37
normally announcing something like this would get me really excited but atm i couldn't care less. They could tell me they are going to give me a gigabit connection and i wouldn't want it. There is no point offering more speed because it just means I am going to hit my stm in 2 mins instead of 30 mins. If they are happy to throw bandwidth around i would happily forgo 50mbit and 100mbit and stay on an un'stm'd 20mbit connection where i can download as much as i want using whatever prog/protocal i want (i.e no dpi).

Instead they are going to market super fast connections which are going to be unusable because they are going to block all the apps and protocols people want to use to download stuff. Give it a couple of years and they might actually discourage everyone from using the internet full stop.

Gary L
16-12-2008, 22:47
Instead they are going to market super fast connections which are going to be unusable because they are going to block all the apps and protocols people want to use to download stuff. Give it a couple of years and they might actually discourage everyone from using the internet full stop.

In a couple of years the difference will be that one is useable and the other one isn't. and the one that isn't was all trousers but no balls.

Impz2002
16-12-2008, 23:24
Virgin have to cap because they are out of Fibre capacity from exchange to exchange and exchange to gateways. This is where their problem is. They refuse to increase the amount of fibre due to the costs of digging the places up, however without doing this they simply cannot provide the bandwidth that they need for people to see this 100Mb/s they speak of. It's all well and good if I connect to my exchange at 200Mb/s but if the bandwidth from my UBR is only 5Gb/s in total and 300 people are expecting at least 128KB/s then its not going to happen. And THAT is why they are throttling.

VM's Backhaul isn't the problem. there is nearly infinite amounts of bandwith available on VM's pipes its the UBR's where the problems take place. VM's connection to the rest of the internet is good the only reasons people have issues is down to UBR's being overloaded and once these are either re-segmented or moved onto new equipment everything will be fine. VM don't need more fibre they need more UBR's and better network management.

If VM made the configs they could start 200meg links today, the capacity is there as the DOCSIS 3 kit is more than capable of serving such speeds. like i said above VM's backhaul is in good shape they have good peering links and plenty of dark fibre waiting for action.

Horace
17-12-2008, 11:31
They'll probably announce 100meg the same day BE start rolling out 48meg even tho' they're not really competitors. Anyone who lives close enough to an exchange would be mad to be with VM for broadband when BE offers faster download and upload speeds for a much cheaper price, including the price of a BT line.

Gary L
17-12-2008, 11:36
They could announce 1GB connections. as long as you only want to use it for the occasional email and surfing of the web. you'l be fine as there will be loads more restrictions that come with the new speed.

Zhadnost
17-12-2008, 15:43
They'll probably announce 100meg the same day BE start rolling out 48meg even tho' they're not really competitors. Anyone who lives close enough to an exchange would be mad to be with VM for broadband when BE offers faster download and upload speeds for a much cheaper price, including the price of a BT line.

I currently get 6.5 Mbit with Be (on the 24 Mbit service, 6.5 is what the modem syncs at) and when I got an email regarding the bonded trial I did consider it.

Still, paying 2 line rentals and a be subscription to get a 13Mbit connection isn't nearly as good a deal as the VM service I get at home.

Frank
17-12-2008, 16:07
Maybe if they roll traffic shaping out over the entire network they will be able to offer 200Mbit without any UBR upgrades.

n0c0ntr0l
17-12-2008, 16:14
Maybe if they roll traffic shaping out over the entire network they will be able to offer 200Mbit without any UBR upgrades.

Thats stupid, with that sort of view you would come under STM in less that 5 minutes. I'm sorry but thats ridiculous. They should upgrade the UBR's instead of claiming this fictional 200Mbit/s that noone can use other than for a speedtest.

Ignitionnet
17-12-2008, 16:46
You guys really don't understand. DOCSIS 3.0 is from the exchange to the user, however Virgin have to cap because they are out of Fibre capacity from exchange to exchange and exchange to gateways. This is where their problem is. They refuse to increase the amount of fibre due to the costs of digging the places up, however without doing this they simply cannot provide the bandwidth that they need for people to see this 100Mb/s they speak of. It's all well and good if I connect to my exchange at 200Mb/s but if the bandwidth from my UBR is only 5Gb/s in total and 300 people are expecting at least 128KB/s then its not going to happen. And THAT is why they are throttling.

Fibre is not usually a constraint.

You should be aware that you can stuff 40 - 80 channels at 40Gbit/s per channel down a single fibre. That's 3.2 - 6.4Tbit/s down a single strand of fibre. You don't need to replace the fibre, just the muxes either side. The access networks will never be able to match that kind of performance, being limited to in most cases 750MHz with a best case downstream performance of a few Gbit/s per node. You would need every single node being completely unicast with no multicasting or broadcasting at all, no hubsites in between those nodes and the core, and there to be a thousand or more nodes there.

The 10ks have dual 10Gbit/s uplinks to GSRs / T320s upgradeable further. The core fibre will not be the limiting factor for decades only what's either side of it.

Frank
17-12-2008, 17:27
Thats stupid, with that sort of view you would come under STM in less that 5 minutes. I'm sorry but thats ridiculous. They should upgrade the UBR's instead of claiming this fictional 200Mbit/s that noone can use other than for a speedtest.
Yes, that was my point :)

RyanB
17-12-2008, 18:02
So what am i going to do when my wireless will only support 54mbit/s and my computer NIC 100mbit/s? lol

I would be happier with my upload to be 10% of my download... say 2mbit/s...

my "friend" is on talktalk LLU and gets 12mb down and 1mb with for free (well £17 including line rental)....

General Maximus
17-12-2008, 18:10
in the event that you do get 100mbit this time next year, you will have to buy a new wireless router to support 100mbit wireless.