PDA

View Full Version : Service cancelled... but I STILL have internet access.

mcai8rw2
16-12-2008, 11:14
Hi all.

A couple of months ago i cancelled my agreement with Virgin media.

The Direct Debit has been cancelled and I telephoned Virgin to confirm with one of their staff that the service agreement is no longer valid, and that no further money would be taken from my account.

However, as of this date i STILL have internet access?! Albeit quite slow... but Its still usefull for everyday surfing.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am concerened that one day a bill will leap onto my doormat for the unauthorised internet use.

Would be interested if anyone else has ever heard of this occuring.

Ta

Graham M
16-12-2008, 11:27
Yes it happens, have you send them a letter? They will argue that you have still been using the server so should pay for it which is fair enough.

Magilla
16-12-2008, 12:13
And the OP can argue that he assumed it was a free connection, since he'd done everything possible to get it disconnected, which is fair enough.

Graham M
16-12-2008, 12:21
And the OP can argue that he assumed it was a free connection, since he'd done everything possible to get it disconnected, which is fair enough.

But VM don't offer free connections so I don't know how you have come to that conclusion? If you are using a service, expect to be charged.

Kymmy
16-12-2008, 12:36
If you cancel the service then you should also disconnect your own equipment from the service... By leaving it connected you are suggesting that you still want the service and could be used as a strong arguement in court ;) Remember a civil court doesn;t need you to be breaking the law to rule against you..

I believe though that eventually the MAC of the modem will get cycled round into the banned pile and once the dhcp expires you won't be able to get another IP

mcai8rw2
16-12-2008, 12:55
Yes it happens, have you send them a letter? They will argue that you have still been using the server so should pay for it which is fair enough.

Thanks for the responses.

Graham M's approach seems the most logical. I will call them and clarify the situation.

webcrawler2050
16-12-2008, 13:33
Generally just be sssssshhhh ;)

Magilla
16-12-2008, 15:37
If you cancel the service then you should also disconnect your own equipment from the service... By leaving it connected you are suggesting that you still want the service and could be used as a strong arguement in court ;)

It could also be a strong arguement that the OP is forgetful, VM are forgetful, or both.

Leaving it connected doesn't suggest or imply anything.

Remember a civil court doesn;t need you to be breaking the law to rule against you..

Irrelevant.

nutellajunkie
16-12-2008, 15:44
personally, id be happy to keep quiet about such like and never broadcast such info on a forum :)

But, Ill never cancel my contract with VM, so I cant have that opinion :)