PDA

View Full Version : 20Mb broadband speed and router problems

faze
16-12-2008, 12:03
I was with Telewest since 2003 but it’s since changed to virgin media and my speed is supposed to be 20MB.

However, every time I test the speed using speedtestnet it seems to be around 10-13Mb.Surely it should be much higher than this or is the modem too old?According to virgin media website it claims that it should handle 20MB fine.

Secondly, I had a Linksys wireless router but my computer connected by Ethernet cable and their seems to be a loss of speed of around 3-5 MB when I do a speedtest even when no one else is using the internet.Then frequently it will lose the internet connection .I normally disconnect the router and connect the modem directly to my PC and then reconnect the router and it starts working.I then replaced the Linksys router with a new Phillips one and the same problem is happening… losing internet connection frequently and loss of speed.

I haven’t contacted Virgin media yet as I expect them just to blame it on the router etc but i feel there is something more to it!!

Any help/advice would be greatly appeciated!!

MovedGoalPosts
16-12-2008, 13:00
All speedtests are not necessarily accurate. There was a spate of articles on that recently, including a news story on this site.

To check reliably your speed you need to be directly connected, ethernet not USB, between modem and PC. Try a decent length download from a Virgin based mirror. Try at different times of the day too.

As for the router, do you have the latest firmware? Same goes for your computer, do you have the latest drivers?

If you do call Virgin Support, do so only when you have the computer conected direct to the modem. Don't even dream of having the router in the network as that will allow a host of shrugged shoulder responses.

faze
16-12-2008, 20:00
Thanks for your reply ..do you have an actual weblink of a virgin mirror site where i can test the speed?

I have the latest drivers and firmware etc so definitely there is an issue with losing connection when using a router.

whydoIneedatech
16-12-2008, 20:01
Thanks for your reply ..do you have an actual weblink of a virgin mirror site where i can test the speed?

I have the latest drivers and firmware etc so definitely there is an issue with losing connection when using a router.
If you are a Virgin Media customer then the best speedtest is from the link below.

Have you tried going to this link to check your speeds http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/

click on blueyondergames>demos>then click on at least 2 large files around 400/500 mb and save them to your desktop, and then wait a couple of minutes then write down the transfer rates on the files that are running > times them by 8 and you will get a truer download speed.

Remember to stop and delete the files.

i.e : 250Kbps X 8 = 2Mbps, 500Kbps X 8 = 4Mbps, 1250Kbps X 8 = 10Mbps, 2500Kbps X 8 = 20Mbps

faze
16-12-2008, 20:04
I forgot to mention that my modem is Motorola SB4200

I have also been noticed the signal level thread and this is my results:

Downstream
Frequency 330750000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 34 dB
Power Level -12 dBmV

Upstream
Channel ID 2
Frequency 21300000 Hz Ranged
Power Level 53 dBmV

The -12DdBmV doesn't look right can anyone clarify?

whydoIneedatech
16-12-2008, 20:11
I forgot to mention that my modem is Motorola SB4200

I have also been noticed the signal level thread and this is my results:

Downstream
Frequency 330750000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 34 dB
Power Level -12 dBmV

Upstream
Channel ID 2
Frequency 21300000 Hz Ranged
Power Level 53 dBmV

The -12DdBmV doesn't look right can anyone clarify?

The Downstream frequency has drifted and needs resetting so open a browser and in the address bar put or click the link > http://192.168.100.1/ this will open the Surfboard configuration manager then click on configuration and you will see the frequency in the 3rd box down change it to 331000000 click save changes and then the restart cable modem button at the bottom, after your modem restarts check the frequency has stayed on 331000000 and if not call Tech Support.

You will probably be best ringing Tech Support over the -12dbmV as well but the frequency still requires resetting.

Tech Support is open 24/7 on the numbers below.

For help with your TV or Phone and for Broadband Technical Support:

Call Product Support/Faults on 151 option 3 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.

faze
16-12-2008, 20:29
I just did the speedtest that you suggested and the speed is 9.28Mbs without using the router and 3.1Mbs with the router connected.

But i'm going to try the changes suggested and get in touch with technical support.

Thank you:tu:

whydoIneedatech
16-12-2008, 20:31
I just did the speedtest that you suggested and the speed is 9.28Mbs without using the router and 3.1Mbs with the router connected.

But i'm going to try the changes suggested and get in touch with technical support.

Thank you:tu:
The frequency change is essential and should improve your connections speed.

faze
16-12-2008, 22:33
Spoke to the technical support and after doing all the checks etc and testing the modem they think there is nothing worng with the network/modem and suggested that i get the DNS client reinstalled.I assume this can be done by reinstalling windows XP?

whydoIneedatech
16-12-2008, 23:05
Spoke to the technical support and after doing all the checks etc and testing the modem they think there is nothing worng with the network/modem and suggested that i get the DNS client reinstalled.I assume this can be done by reinstalling windows XP?
Did you change the frequency in the modem and did you speak to UK based agents.

faze
16-12-2008, 23:11
Did you change the frequency in the modem and did you speak to UK based agents.

yes i changed the frequency but that made no difference.

I beleive i spoke to a lady from India.

Also i just connected the modem directly to my brothers work laptop which is very up to date and he gets the same speed!!

whydoIneedatech
16-12-2008, 23:15
yes i changed the frequency but that made no difference.

I beleive i spoke to a lady from India.

Also i just connected the modem directly to my brothers work laptop which is very up to date and he gets the same speed!!
You could try calling during the day to get a UK call centre or try posting on the Newsgroups.

Newsgroups link below shows you how to do it with Outlook Express.

---------------------------------------------------
Tech Support via Newsgroups.

virginmedia.support.broadband.cable is the one that you want to use and here is the set up link http://www.virginmedia.com/customers...setting-up.php

faze
16-12-2008, 23:52
Ok i have just set up the newsgroups and hopefully should get a reply.
Do they reply directly to the email address?

I will ring up during the daytime on the weekends if i don't get any reply etc

moaningmags
16-12-2008, 23:59
Support are there from 8am - 10pm. They answer in the newsgroups in reply to your post.

caph
17-12-2008, 00:19

This is what is technically known as absolute bull****. Welcome to the level of incompetence you will experience when ringing tech support (whydoineedatech is unfortunately a diamond in the rough). Your DNS client (which is a part of standard windows TCP/IP) cannot in any way be the problem because it only resolves addresses. Your download speed can only be measured after you have successfully resolved the address. You can see straight away that what you've been told is nonsense. You're better off listening to the people on this forum than the complete rubbish you will be told on the phone. Sad but true.

You need to ask support via the newsgroup if your UBR (click the connection link at the top of the page and copy and paste the result) is oversubscribed. You'll probably find it is.

whydoIneedatech
17-12-2008, 08:20
Support are there from 8am - 10pm. They answer in the newsgroups in reply to your post.
Thanks Mags I always forget to put the times.

As Mags said you will get an answer in the newsgroup.

faze
17-12-2008, 21:10
I just got a reply from the techincal support team and the downstream level -12dBmV is a problem.They will arrange for an engineer to come round etc

Many thanks to everyone ..i have learnt alot in the last few days!!

whydoIneedatech
17-12-2008, 21:56
I just got a reply from the techincal support team and the downstream level -12dBmV is a problem.They will arrange for an engineer to come round etc

Many thanks to everyone ..i have learnt alot in the last few days!!
Let us know how you get on;)

faze
02-01-2009, 13:22
A technician was supposed to come last week but never turned up because they beleived it was an area fault??

Anyway they arranged another appointment and a technician turned up today
He just made a few checks and said everything was fine.Then he used speedtest.net to show that i had a speed of 19Mbs.I told him that I didn't think that speedtest and I get dowload transfer rates of max 1.4 Mb/s from the virgin media mirror site but he said that you can't go by the transfer rate.I think im being fobbed off but i'm not sure ..I just did a test with thinkbroadband and it gave me a speed of 12Mbs!!

I asked him about my -12 download power level and he said he couldn't do anything about it and a network engineer has to do something on the outside boxes.He said he would get a network engineer to do that but i'm not sure if that will actually happen!!