PDA

View Full Version : VPN Setting for Virgin Media

macshimi
14-12-2008, 18:35
Hi

I am running WinXp with an NTL 250 cable modem and a D-link DIR-301 wireless router.

I have a company laptop to connect to our intranet via a VPN. The VPN is Cisco Version 4.6.03.0021.

I can access my company E-mail but not the intranet. If I disable the LAN setting on the Internet Properties Connection Tab, I can access the internet.

After discussing the problem with Virgin, it appears the VPN settings are wrong, can anyone assist me?

I have discussed it with our company IT but at other wireless sites I connect to the intranet without any problems.. so IT says it is Virgin's problem. I know it isn't but can get any further.

All or any help gratefully taken.

Thanks

duffman
14-12-2008, 20:51
Do you use a token log in with the Cisco VPN client? Is the service provided by BT?

General Maximus
14-12-2008, 21:32
i don't know anything about this sort of stuff at all but the fact that it works everywhere else except when using a VM connection means that the problem with the settings VM use. Hopefully it will just be a setting you need to change (either enable or disable) when connecting via VM.

MovedGoalPosts
14-12-2008, 21:59
Step one. Disconnect the router, connecting a PC direct to the modem (reboot the modem, etc).. Does the VPN work now?

I've found that despite what they might say on the box, routers are very hit and miss with passing the right stuff through for VPN to work.

TheDon
15-12-2008, 00:29
i don't know anything about this sort of stuff at all but the fact that it works everywhere else except when using a VM connection means that the problem with the settings VM use.No, it really doesn't.

Firstly do as Rob says, and check if it works without the router.

If it does then go to your routers config page (most likely 192.168.1.1) then go to advanced, firewall settings, and ensure that the VPN passthrough boxes are all ticked.

If they are and it doesn't work then it's likely that your company VPN uses nonstandard settings that your router doesn't support, this is a pretty common problem with a fair amount of low end home routers.

ntl.wotcha
15-12-2008, 12:09
Agreed, try it without your router.

Stuart
15-12-2008, 12:24
i don't know anything about this sort of stuff at all but the fact that it works everywhere else except when using a VM connection means that the problem with the settings VM use. Hopefully it will just be a setting you need to change (either enable or disable) when connecting via VM.

Beyond carrying the signals no ISP gets involved in VPN. There are no settings for the ISP, because the ISP just carries the signals. Unless they are willing to hack, they don't even see the data that's going across their network.

As far as I know, VM do not block VPN access. But, it is possible that your router is.

macshimi
15-12-2008, 20:15
Many, Many Thanks!!!

Rob, The Don, General Maximus, NTL Wotcha and Stuart C you are great

I did as Rob recommended and everything works, now I can work from home; I am over the moon.

It is a router/VPN problem; does anyone have any ideas where in the VPN config I can look as then I can lounge on the couch and work.

Again many thanks for the expert help.

Charles

MovedGoalPosts
15-12-2008, 20:49
I have no idea. what blocks it in the router. I've had a version 1 Linksys WRT54GS and that allowed me to connect fine, yet a version 5 Linksys WRT54GS blocked it. Similar issues with Netgear. :confused:

Paul K
15-12-2008, 21:01
There are similar issues with some Sagems, seems like there is something that is locked down in some firmwares and not others.

TheDon
15-12-2008, 22:06
Many, Many Thanks!!!

Rob, The Don, General Maximus, NTL Wotcha and Stuart C you are great

I did as Rob recommended and everything works, now I can work from home; I am over the moon.

It is a router/VPN problem; does anyone have any ideas where in the VPN config I can look as then I can lounge on the couch and work.

Again many thanks for the expert help.

Charles

The only settings you'll beable to change is enabling the VPN passthroughs in the router's config, if they're all enabled and it's not working then there's nothing you can do short of getting a new router that has better VPN support.