PDA

View Full Version : Help with router from virgin

DC_FC79
14-12-2008, 18:18
Maybe im not doing something right but when i plug the router virgin sent to i cant seem to connect to the internet, i plug the router into the mains, plug the 2 ethernets in; 1 from the modem and 1 from the pc, and i get the red screen asking for an ssid and passphrase so would i enter the default ones on the bottom router or is it asking me to create an ssid and passphrase, i called virgin this morning but i couldnt understand the guy, anyone here able to help

Joxer
14-12-2008, 18:21
It is asking you to create an SSID and passphrase. Make some up.

Tech_Boy
14-12-2008, 18:31
name the network & input your own password (min 8 letters/numbers)
then turn the power off to the modem & router.

Turn modem on & wait for sync & rdy lights to lock solid, then turn on the power to the Router & wait for the tick to go off, then get your pc to search for available networks & connect to yours.

That should do it.

DC_FC79
14-12-2008, 22:36

Turn modem on & wait for sync & rdy lights to lock solid, then turn on the power to the Router & wait for the tick to go off, then get your pc to search for available networks & connect to yours.

That should do it.

does it matter that my pc isnt wireless, its connected to the router by ethernet

---------- Post added at 22:36 ---------- Previous post was at 22:34 ----------

It is asking you to create an SSID and passphrase. Make some up.

like i said i wasn´t sure, ill give it another go tommorrow

Tech_Boy
14-12-2008, 22:47
does it matter that my pc isnt wireless, its connected to the router by ethernet

in that case after the reboot, you should allready be online, the reboot sequence is vital, as is naming the network & securing the wireless.

Joxer
14-12-2008, 23:17
You shouldn't need to reboot, once you click apply the page should ask to close the window - say yes - reopen internet explorer and that is it, you should be online.

Tech_Boy
15-12-2008, 00:04
You shouldn't need to reboot, once you click apply the page should ask to close the window - say yes - reopen internet explorer and that is it, you should be online.

If you read the OP's original post, he has not done a "Logical reboot", so the modem probably still has the mac address of the pc that it was connected to before stored against it, hence needing a reboot to lock onto the mac address of the wan port of the router & pass the connection through.

Joxer
15-12-2008, 08:29
Fair point, I thought he said he plugged them both into the mains - but he didn't.

DC_FC79
15-12-2008, 08:57
Fair point, I thought he said he plugged them both into the mains - but he didn't.

id just plugged the router into the mains, the modem was plugged into the mains but i hadnt done a reboot, ill give it a try this morning

Joxer
15-12-2008, 09:00
You'll need to reboot the modem then, and probably the router too. Best thing is to remove power from them both and turn them on one at a time as Tech_Boy said.

DC_FC79
15-12-2008, 10:27

That should do it.

well thanks techboy and Joxer, it worked, i did what you said yesterday except i hadnt rebooted the modem first then the router,

Tech_Boy
15-12-2008, 21:56
Glad you got it sorted:)

DC_FC79
15-12-2008, 22:01
Glad you got it sorted:)

thanks,