PDA

View Full Version : triplexing

bureaucrazy
14-12-2008, 00:36
I have seen triplex distribution amplifiers and triplex wall plates for sale where tv radio and sat signals are seperately connected into the amplifier and then a single coax is run to each room where it terminates in a wall plate with seperate sat, tv and radio sockets. How does this work? is it simply that sat, tv and radio signals occupy different bands so can simply be summed together. if so, does the wall plate filter out the irrelevant bands or is that done by the recieving equipment? what frequency bands are used for the virgin digital signals for tv and internet? can they be distributed as described above? what equipment do i need? for my purpose the set top box must be in the same room as the tv and i will only be watching virgin on that tv the other rooms will have terrestrial free view. thanks

---------- Post added at 00:36 ---------- Previous post was at 00:27 ----------

I forgot to mention that i may wish to move my virgin tv and set top box to a different room from time to time. that is why i need to distribute the digital signal. also i wish to have the broadband socket and cable modem in the hallway and there not to be access to broadband in the other rooms since there will be a router in the hallway with cat 6 running to each room from there. each room must have broadband access at the same time.

Jonnymeg
14-12-2008, 10:08
You may find that in reality you may get some functionality by using this system but these devices are made for Sat/terrestrial/FM signals and not supposed to be used for cable.
My guess would be that your system would suffer from too many problems to make it worth trying.

triplexers work by shifting the input frequencies to higher or lower frequencies far enough apart for them to coexist on the same coax. They are then shifted back and separated at the other end and outputted to the correct socket. In the real world there is always loss and interference between the signals.
You have to remember that cable services already utilize a similar system anyway by putting analogue/digital signals down their cable so how a triplexer would cope with this is certainly a concern.

You would be much better running two separate cables to each room, one for your aerial and one for Virgin. Use a terrestrial amp for the aerial and a HDU for your cable services.