PDA

View Full Version : Can't set up broadband properly

abbas_ali
12-12-2008, 20:48
Hi guys

Been trying to set up Virgin broadband today eeek! It has not gone so well!

Basically, i set up the cable modem they sent me downstairs with the wall socket, with one coaxial cable going to the set top box and the other to the cable modem, via a splitter. I then phoned them up to activate the cable modem as per the instructions.

After this i followed the instructions to set up wireless networking, I've connected the wireless router and cable modem together via the Ethernet cable and they are pretty much sitting side-by-side. The USB adapter has also been installed on my PC

Once this was done i used the wireless set-up CD they sent me to try and set the network up. Went through all the stages and then when trying to register/finalise the wireless network with its name and password etc. it couldn't quite complete it and i got the message to check everything and try and move the router closer to the PC.

Eventually i went to view which networks were available in Windows (i'm using Vista) and seen one called virgin media so i connected to that and it connected. Tried it again and this time the wireless network was created. After that it asks whether you are a new or existing broadband customer, if new you have to register the account. So i click it but i get an error message saying that although the wireless network is created it can't connect to the Internet .

I'm going to call VM tomorrow but thought if anyone has any tips then I'd be very grateful

Cheers

P.S.

I tried the cable modem alone. I took out the router and connected the cable modem to the wall socket via the co-axial cable and then used the ethernet cable to connect my PC to the cable modem. Tried going online but when i try activation.virginmedia.com i just get the "Internet Explorer could not display this webpage". Funnily enough, when i check networks it does say i am connected to a local network called Network 3 which is a bit odd.

Kymmy
12-12-2008, 20:50
When you connect to the modem alone what IP address does the PC get...

Also try going to 192.168.100.1 and see if you get the modem config pages...

abbas_ali
13-12-2008, 16:07
OK guys got another problem, last night my brother took our the ethernet cable from the PC and connected it to the PS3 in the desperate attempt it would work there and he could play some online games. I tried explaining to him it wouldn't work!

Now the PC isn't even recognising a LAN? I thought he might have damaged the cable by pulling it out since it can be a bit difficult to get out but the ethernet light on the cable modem is green?

The virgin support line have not been much help so far :(

moaningmags
13-12-2008, 16:33
Connect the modem directly to the computer and then restart the modem, power cable out count to 5 power cable back in, wait a few mins then try the internet.
Does this work?

abbas_ali
13-12-2008, 20:42
Connect the modem directly to the computer and then restart the modem, power cable out count to 5 power cable back in, wait a few mins then try the internet.
Does this work?

Heres what i did, i shut off the power to the cable modem, took out all the cables and waited 5 seconds and put them all back in, shut down the pc and restarted it and took the ethernet cable out of that for 5 seconds also and still no luck - no LAN found or anything.

Tried up to 1min but nothing :(. Do you think my cable wall socket is faulty or even its not been activated properly?

moaningmags
13-12-2008, 20:44
which modem do you have?
What lights are on solid, what lights are off and what lights are flashing?

abbas_ali
13-12-2008, 20:55
The power, ethernet, sync lights are solid green. The 'ready' light is flashing, and the sending light flashes occasionally (1 in every 10secs) and the receiving light is off but might be flashing now and again.

This is the virgin media cable modem i am referring to here. I;m going to try and get it working with cables first before i try wireless.

moaningmags
13-12-2008, 21:00
Ready light flashing means there's a problem on the network side or with the account such as not activated.
Call tech support and get them to sort it.

You need sync and ready to both be solid.

abbas_ali
17-12-2008, 01:55
Hey all,

Finally got it working. Technician came out, it turned out the problem was due to a bad connection caused by a loose wire somewhere outside my house.

Problem now however, is that it works with the ethernet connection and i tested it at a download speed of 9Mb/s but when i try to set it up with the Wireless Manager software the signal is so low it can't detect it and tells me to move the computer closer to the router. I can however, find it in Windows if i go to the network and sharing centre and access the internet. However, the signal is low or poor.

Do i have any other options other than to buy a repeater?

chickendippers
17-12-2008, 10:35
You could try a bigger aerial for your router and/or computer. This one did the trick for me: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=38211

fixerman
17-12-2008, 11:41
The power, ethernet, sync lights are solid green. The 'ready' light is flashing, and the sending light flashes occasionally (1 in every 10secs) and the receiving light is off but might be flashing now and again.

This is the virgin media cable modem i am referring to here. I;m going to try and get it working with cables first before i try wireless.

How far apart are the router and PC?. If you have the option of an ethernet cable then that is by far the best. It is much faster and more stable.

abbas_ali
29-12-2008, 20:04
How far apart are the router and PC?. If you have the option of an ethernet cable then that is by far the best. It is much faster and more stable.

They are quite far away, however the ethernet is obviously going to deliver the best performance but i can't have a cable from one end of the house all the way upstairs to the other end.

The router i have allows data transfer of 54Mbps, i'm thinking of buying a 108Mbps Netgear RangeMAX one as this should make my download speed faster anyway (since it is 108Mbps) but it has better coverage so the signal quality should be better anyway? Am i right in this?

Otherwise i guess i will just buy a repeater or a a bigger aerial for the existing router.

P.S. I have tried changing the channel the router transmits to but there has been no effect.

fixerman
30-12-2008, 10:35
They are quite far away, however the ethernet is obviously going to deliver the best performance but i can't have a cable from one end of the house all the way upstairs to the other end.

The router i have allows data transfer of 54Mbps, i'm thinking of buying a 108Mbps Netgear RangeMAX one as this should make my download speed faster anyway (since it is 108Mbps) but it has better coverage so the signal quality should be better anyway? Am i right in this?

Otherwise i guess i will just buy a repeater or a a bigger aerial for the existing router.

P.S. I have tried changing the channel the router transmits to but there has been no effect.

The Rangemax is an excellent product but the only sure way to find out if it solves your problem is to try it and see.

The Installer
31-12-2008, 17:44
Might sound stupid but make sure you haven't got your router just tucked down at the back of your tv or in a cupboard or something like that as this will seriously affect the range, the same applies to the dongle on the pc at the other end too.

Try where possible to allow the router to be clear of any object, if it was standing on a side board etc for example. Make sure the aerial on the router is vertical and not just sticking out at the back etc.

abbas_ali
05-01-2009, 14:14
Thanks, i'm going to buy the WNB2100 router and hopefully this should sort out any problems.

My only concern is that it allows high speed but not coverage (its not rangemax), i want to be able to download at a fast a rate as possible and it allows up to 300Mbps but the rangemax ones tend to only allow 108Mbps but have much better coverage. Am i making the wrong choice?

Dai
05-01-2009, 15:20
An aternative to buying another router may be to consider a pair of 'homeplug' devices. These would enable you to create a wired connection via the house electric cables.
Info here:
http://www.homeplugs.co.uk/