PDA

View Full Version : Strange claim by VM Broadband Tech

ntl.wotcha
12-12-2008, 15:31
OK, so I have a UBR capacity issue in my area which was logged on the cable news group on 6th Nov. The said the eta date for the work to resolve the capacity issue was 9th Dec. Anyway I checked up with them again on 10th and they said the work had been pushed back to 20th Jan. Wasn't happy as I get speeds of <1.5mbps in the evenings.

So I decided to call VM and ask for a refund as it's next to unusable in the evenings. Anyway the Indian lady puts me through to the Broadband tech support people and I put my case to the techie.

At this point he says to me, "less than 2mb is not possible even on UBR capacity issues,". I begged to differ but he insisted I needed to run some tests on my PC. (I wasn't at home at the time). Anyway, I told him to stop treating me like an idiot, at which point he went off and got me a 20 quid credit on my account.

Question I want to know is, was he telling the truth or lying to me ?

Is there really anything on the UBRs that can ensure service never drops below 2mbps for a specific user ? Can't see how it could be true but then again I don't expect bare faced lies either.

Turkey Machine
12-12-2008, 15:33
OK, so I have a UBR capacity issue in my area which was logged on the cable news group on 6th Nov. The said the eta date for the work to resolve the capacity issue was 9th Dec. Anyway I checked up with them again on 10th and they said the work had been pushed back to 20th Jan. Wasn't happy as I get speeds of <1.5mbps in the evenings.

So I decided to call VM and ask for a refund as it's next to unusable in the evenings. Anyway the Indian lady puts me through to the Broadband tech support people and I put my case to the techie.

At this point he says to me, "less than 2mb is not possible even on UBR capacity issues,". I begged to differ but he insisted I needed to run some tests on my PC. (I wasn't at home at the time). Anyway, I told him to stop treating me like an idiot, at which point he went off and got me a 20 quid credit on my account.

Is there really anything on the UBRs that can ensure service never drops below 2mbps for a specific user ? Can't see how it could be true but then again I don't expect bare faced lies either.

He's fibbing. People on 2Mbit have had problems, and users on here on 20Mbit have had their speeds below 1Mbit before, so it's entirely possible, but he's fibbing to you.

xocemp
12-12-2008, 15:38
So you called customer services and they/she put you through to 1st line support?
And as far as I know there is no protocol or secondary device that would make it possible for you to have a service of >2 meg if there was a UBR issue. :erm:

Magilla
12-12-2008, 16:19

Since my 10Mb service is also averaging out at 200kb/s and has been since September.. I can only conclude he's lying.