PDA

View Full Version : VM routing my traffic through Ireland

badsoupday
12-12-2008, 12:52
I'm half Irish, but still, I wish they hadn't done this. I live in Watford, not Waterford.

All websites (that care) now think I'm based in Ireland so my google.com redirects to google.ie, yahoo.com redirects to yahoo.ie, and bbc.co.uk restricts access to certain content.

That's a big issue for me as I can no longer use iPlayer for download - something that is killing me.

The routing change occured around 16th November. Up to that point I was pretty happy with my 20Mb connection after sorting some speed issues in the summer.

Four calls to VM's 'helpdesk' call centre and still no joy getting anything changed. One VM agent even told me that my problems were related to an old version of Windows Media Player and I should download the latest one, then everything would be magically sorted. I did - and of course it made no difference. Hmmpt.

The latest wisdom given to me yesterday (after 30 minutes on the phone changing settings and rebooting router/modem/PC a few times) is to wait until 15th December when the 'lease on the ip' will be renewed.

I must say I'm not wonderfully confident, so thought I post here to see if anyone has had similar issues, or knows how I might get a solution.

Thanks folks
RM

Joxer
12-12-2008, 15:52
You could check to see if you have a proxy and if so remove it - if not try this one webcache.blueyonder.co.uk port 8080

to change proxy settings - control panel - classic view - internet options - connections - LAN settings.

badsoupday
12-12-2008, 16:25
I'm not listing a proxy at the mo, but thanks for the steer - I'll give it a go.

Cheers
Soupy

xocemp
12-12-2008, 16:46
What does your rDNS say http://relays.osirusoft.com/cgi-bin/rdns.cgi

Don't include your IP address if you copy the results to this thread :)

dev
12-12-2008, 17:12
sites that report where you live do not use how you got there to determine your location so i doubt they're routing the traffic through Ireland. More likely your IP has changed to one registered as being in Ireland

Joxer
12-12-2008, 17:16
Or what does the connection link at the top of this page say? Again, you might want to remove your ip address.

ukplum
12-12-2008, 22:14
I'm also having this issue. I noticed that iPlayer was no longer working. Google thinks Im in Ireland??

Anyone think this is just a temporary problem?

badsoupday
13-12-2008, 12:09
Joxer's proxy suggestion has worked (second entry in this thread).

Very much appreciated!

Now why couldn't VM staff tell me stuff like that?

BSD

magz
17-12-2008, 12:16
we tried all this too but after a week or 2 it went back to being in ireland (i'm in glasgow). Been on the phone to BB Tech support several times got sick of speaking to them so went to retentions to cancel all services. They assured me they would get someone from swansea to call us to talk us through how to resolve the problem but again still back to ireland.

So yet again last week i spoke to the BB tech support who then said to me... " can you put your husband on the phone as this will get technical and he only will understand what we are talking about" Now... how bloody sexist is that?!?!? I'm sorry, but by this point i was totally astounded to be spoke to in such a way that made me feel like an empty headed ****, that i handed the phone to my husband who ripped into them.

After this we have spoke to retentions again to cancel. This time they got told no ifs or buts, just cancel the whole lot! I also tried to make a complaint about being spoke to in such a sexist way but they just said "thats ok we have notes on the system" so... they're taking the word of a sexist over mine?

Sorry for ranting on but i'm really cheesed off over this. Have now subscribed to Sky.

LaineY
17-12-2008, 13:11
Sorry for ranting on but i'm really cheesed off over this. Have now subscribed to Sky.

Dont know what your saying sorry for.. im pretty sure every other woman in the world would be saying exactly the same...

you dont need a man on the phone to get technical

thats rediculas.. and im pretty sure that agent will get a kick in the ***** for that..

that wont go un noticed....

frogstamper
18-12-2008, 02:11
" can you put your husband on the phone as this will get technical and he only will understand what we are talking about"

I don't know weather to laugh or cry when I hear comments like that, it sounds like this pratt belongs in "Life on Mars"...unbelievable.