PDA

View Full Version : If your 50Mb become available next Monday ....

telfordcable
11-12-2008, 19:07
When VM XXL 50Mb come out next monday to launch XXL 50Mb and it available to half of the UK (50%) what would you do next ?

1) Order 50Mb straight away (might have to wait until 50Mb modem come out)

2) Will not order it because too pricey

3) Will not order it because prefer to wait and see what happen to customers review on 50Mb first

4) Not bother with 50Mb as happy with my current broadband

I choose number two for me

Wicked_and_Crazy
11-12-2008, 19:11
why havent you made this a poll?

Kymmy
11-12-2008, 19:14
Also how can you ask a question based on price when you haven't specified the price??

I know it's been talked about in the other thread but 1# not everyone reading this thread has read that one...2# The prices on there aren't confirmed...

Mick Fisher
11-12-2008, 19:21
When VM XXL 50Mb come out next monday to launch XXL 50Mb and it available to half of the UK (50%) what would you do next ?

1) Order 50Mb straight away (might have to wait until 50Mb modem come out)

3) Will not order it because prefer to wait and see what happen to customers review on 50Mb first

I choose number two for me

You forgot: 5) Couldn't give a monkey's with that pathetic upload.

I choose five. :D

zing_deleted
11-12-2008, 19:22

Kymmy
11-12-2008, 19:24
How about for some people:

6) It's not yet available in my area

7) Would like it but can't pass the credit check

8) Would get it for business use but it doesn't yet have static IP capability

on in an hour!
11-12-2008, 19:38

9)or all of above..oh and sorry,
10) im too cynical to even give it a try :D

xocemp
11-12-2008, 19:51
11) I'll wait to see if it costs extra on the staff package

on in an hour!
11-12-2008, 19:53
11) I'll wait to see if it costs extra on the staff package

12) he he.hope they release the price in the next 90 days then!! :(

whydoIneedatech
11-12-2008, 19:56
Allegedly the is no offer for forthcoming rollout of 50Mb on the staff package, as with everyone else you want it, then you pay for it at full price.:shocked:

General Maximus
11-12-2008, 20:03
i will order it straight away hoping that they will give it to me straight away :) I am not a patient person and i don't want to be waiting 2 weeks for them to send me a modem and do whatever they have to their end to sort stuff out.

on in an hour!
11-12-2008, 20:08
i will order it straight away hoping that they will give it to me straight away :) I am not a patient person and i don't want to be waiting 2 weeks for them to send me a modem and do whatever they have to their end to sort stuff out.

calm down general,its only an advert!! im sure once they launch in the initial chosen areas they will have a 'coming soon' section on their website,then you can wait till day 1 of your areas launch and really kick off about how inept (months before you knew it was coming) you KNEW theyd be in delivering modems and 'sorting stuff out at their end' :rolleyes:

Fatec
11-12-2008, 20:37
You forgot: 5) Couldn't give a monkey's with that pathetic upload.

I choose five. :D

+1

General Maximus
11-12-2008, 20:40
don't worry, i am not jumping the gun and I don't want to moann, I am more than happy to pile on the praise when it is due. I just don't want them to get ahead of themselves to rake in the £££ and have everyone signing up for it and then turn around and say they can't meet the demand and we'll be waiting till the end of January or something for the modems. When I buy my pcs bits for example, I always order them from Dabs.com because I know that whatever i order is going to arrive next day without fail. When I order/pay for something i get excited and I want it asap, it is just the type of person I am :)

on in an hour!
11-12-2008, 21:03
don't worry, i am not jumping the gun and I don't want to moann, I am more than happy to pile on the praise when it is due. I just don't want them to get ahead of themselves to rake in the £££ and have everyone signing up for it and then turn around and say they can't meet the demand and we'll be waiting till the end of January or something for the modems. When I buy my pcs bits for example, I always order them from Dabs.com because I know that whatever i order is going to arrive next day without fail. When I order/pay for something i get excited and I want it asap, it is just the type of person I am :)

understood general,but even you couldnt order something from dabs.com that they dont yet have and then expect it next day!! chill your maximus beans for a while ;) ;) ;)

General Maximus
11-12-2008, 21:17
I know, but once it says it is in stock it will be at my house the next day. What I am saying is that if VM say 50mbit is available in my area on Monday and I will order it straight away, I would like the modem shipped Tuesday to arrive Wednesday, I will give the dudes a buzz to register the mac address and then I am 50mbit all the way :)

Hugh
11-12-2008, 21:31
Won't be ordering, as I am happy with my 10Mb - does the job for me.

Fatec
11-12-2008, 21:33
I know, but once it says it is in stock it will be at my house the next day. What I am saying is that if VM say 50mbit is available in my area on Monday and I will order it straight away, I would like the modem shipped Tuesday to arrive Wednesday, I will give the dudes a buzz to register the mac address and then I am 50mbit all the way :)

Till STM hits you then your 7.5Mbit all the way :p:

BenMcr
11-12-2008, 21:34
No it wouldn't as STM isn't on the service yet ;)

slowcoach
11-12-2008, 21:35
I will wait to see if it comes with STM, if not I will wait until STM is applied as I don't want to give them the satisfaction of slapping STM on me down the road on a product I ordered without it.
I know that's how VM get their kicks. :dunce:

Fatec
11-12-2008, 21:37

Give it 3-6 months ;)

*hugs his 100/100 connection, cheaper than vms half assed 50mbit*

I wanna go back home ;)

General Maximus
11-12-2008, 21:38
I'll tell you what, seeing your connection drop from 50mbit down to 7.5 is enough to make anyone cry :(

If docsis 3 is fantastic as they say it is and there is going to be more than enough bandwidth for everyone (with the current 20mbit users only accounting for 9% of customers and we are going to have it all to ourselves) I don't see the need for stm anymore. It was a sensible measure which they had to implement to help manage a congestion issue. The issue nolonger exists so therefore there is no need for the solution to the problem to exist either.

zing_deleted
11-12-2008, 21:44
Give it 3-6 months ;)

*hugs his 100/100 connection, cheaper than vms half assed 50mbit*

I wanna go back home ;)

no offense meant or anything but from posts you have made and stuff is it ok to ask if you actually are Asian? please remember no offense meant

browney
11-12-2008, 21:45

Fatec
11-12-2008, 21:48
no offense meant or anything but from posts you have made and stuff is it ok to ask if you actually are Asian? please remember no offense meant

Nah, i'm white but i'm very multi cultural, i speak english, bad english, french, korean and mandarin.

:D

zing_deleted
11-12-2008, 21:49
So where is home then?

Fatec
11-12-2008, 21:53
So where is home then?

France, currently.

Was born in australia, moved to UK shortly after, lived in france for a few years after leaving school, lived in hong kong for 3 years after meeting someone :) but unfortunetly have spent most of my life in the UK and looking back now i wish i had stayed away permanently, living in other countries really shows just how bad this place actually is.

But yes, back to paris after christmas, home sweet home and back to FTTH.

General Maximus
11-12-2008, 22:06
why do you want to live here? I thought you would prefer to stay in Hong Kong or Australia

Fatec
11-12-2008, 22:09
I dont want to live in the UK, only here for xmas, hate everything about the UK, but i do miss family and some friends.

As i cant work now (disability) australia is pretty much out of the picture unless i can move in with family over there or get some help.

Hong Kong i would love to go back, depends on how things go with a certain someone in all honesty.

General Maximus
11-12-2008, 23:48
cool, i hope everything works out for you, you definitely dont want to stay here

Enuff
12-12-2008, 00:14

I can't make my mind up... it's between one of them though.

Zhadnost
12-12-2008, 11:11
Probably will get it if it's £47, not sure if it's £52.

sk8er_boi6000
12-12-2008, 13:38
I'll tell you what, seeing your connection It was a sensible measure which they had to implement to help manage a congestion issue.

No, it's a cheapassed way to oversell your network without actually performing adequate equipment upgrades to ensure that it can actually handle the traffic. Whilst I love using my 20mb connection and don't hit STM all that often, it does irritate me that I am paying a hefty price premium for something that is no longer unlimited in the best sense of the word, the only reason that I haven't switched to o2 at this moment in time is because I prefer cable over DSL type services, and o2 cannot currently offer me an all-in-1 package like Virgin can (TV, Phone, and Internet). Also, because I am lucky enough to be in an area that was on the old Blueyonder network (far better than NTL), and because the subscriptions in my area aren't too heavy, I rarely see any of the speed issues I see some other people report on this forum

However in response to the actual question, if the 50Mb package comes without STM and is no more than £50 a month I will subscribe straight away, I beta test a lot of software and often perform multi-gig downloads meaning the more speed, the better things are

AndyIggs83
12-12-2008, 14:37
I really would love this but £50 is way too much unfortunately so I won't be getting it, shame as if they lowered there prices of all tiers and made it a bit more affordable, I'd be the first to order!

General Maximus
12-12-2008, 14:50
i can see the price coming down by mid next year because other isps will be offering faster connection or more competitively priced deals and Virging will have to respond accordingly. We move with the times. I can remember paying £25 for 1mbit years ago because that is the fastest there was, atm 50mbit will be the fastest but as everyone else catches up the price will come down.

GazCBG
12-12-2008, 14:53
Hi,

If it becomes available in Lincoln on the 15th I would most likely order it on the day it comes out or the day after.

I mainly want it as the upload speed, download speed be nice and I like the new modem

broadbandking
12-12-2008, 15:05
Yeah the 1.75Mbit upload is fantastic woooo hooooo not

GazCBG
12-12-2008, 15:07
It better then what I am getting on the 20mb

ynwa
12-12-2008, 16:08
Upload is not enough to justify the price jump. Plus i want to know if it will be STMed cos if it is then its pointless upgrading.

popper
12-12-2008, 19:38

09: i would consider taking it but i want more than one CM per account.

10: id consider taking it but for the fact your giving new customers a free laptop plus cheaper 20Mbit bundle and giving me jack as a longtime end user/customer.
http://it.tmcnet.com/news/2008/12/12/3852185.htm

---------- Post added at 18:49 ---------- Previous post was at 17:39 ----------

don't worry, i am not jumping the gun and I don't want to moann, I am more than happy to pile on the praise when it is due.

I just don't want them to get ahead of themselves to rake in the £££ and have everyone signing up for it and then turn around and say they can't meet the demand and we'll be waiting till the end of January or something for the modems.

When I buy my pcs bits for example, I always order them from Dabs.com because I know that whatever i order is going to arrive next day without fail.

When I order/pay for something i get excited and I want it asap, it is just the type of person I am :)

i guess you havent been reading or keeping up with the old 50Mbit threads then, its not even been hinted at as yet that the "bronze" only certified DS3 modems are even in mass production mode yet.

and even if they are, the US are more than likely to get the largest part of these if thats the case, as they already have rollouts and packages being used right now for their contracted OEM kit.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/10/33624637-virgin-media-announces-50mb-lines-next.html

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33631817-50mbit-rollout-has-started.html

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33640081-virgins-new-50mb-modem.html

---------- Post added at 19:19 ---------- Previous post was at 18:49 ----------

we assume OC, but then we also assume it WILL BE within the 12 month contract span of this new XXL, and sooner rather than later at that.

---------- Post added at 19:38 ---------- Previous post was at 19:19 ----------

Yeah the 1.75Mbit upload is fantastic woooo hooooo not

ohh now i see the NOT ;) as you say,No it isnt, we have been through this before remember readers, they need to make it this bare minimum upload speed as the original planed 1.5Mbit upload rate rollout cant supply all the required tcp Acks for a full 50Mbit download rate.....

1.5Mbit upload gives you something like a max of 44 to 48Mbit down.....and probably less after overheads generally....

(and remember ,thats only 14/18Mbit faster download than the old DS2.0a that US Cablevision are suppying to their existing DS2.0a customers today, plus their 3Mbit and 5Mbit upload rates packages OC .

Cablevision's current fastest speed offering is named "Boost", a 30Mbps/5Mbps DOCSIS 2.0 that's uncapped in the truest sense of the word (http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/87129).
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Cablevision-DOCSIS-30-Speeds-Within-Months-99611 )

although im pritty sure 1.87 was the bare minimum required upload ratio we worked out for true 50Mbit download at full pelt long term (and forgetting general overheads, negative spikes etc), but its been a while.... and i cant be bothered to look at the other threads right now....

General Maximus
12-12-2008, 21:08
well this is going to be interesting then, if VM havent got any docsis 3 modems they technically cannot offer "up to 50mbit connection" from Monday because nobody can get anywhere near that.

popper
12-12-2008, 22:30
VM and the rest have probably been given access to the first one off 1000 unit runs at some point, so they will have a few in the stock rooms or on the way there by now.

sk8er_boi6000
12-12-2008, 22:53
Although 1.75 mbit is an improvement, it is still in my opinion not good enough, but that is a criticism that can be leveled at all UK ISP's, not just Virgin. They seem to assume everyone just downloads and nothing else, but some people do have legitimate uses for large amounts of upload.

Personally I think the upload is still disappointing

General Maximus
12-12-2008, 22:59
the fact that it is 1.75 shows they are being tight and giving is the bare minimum to make it work. If they weren't being cheap skates they would give us a nice round 2 or 3 (as a minimum). If i was being reasonable i would expect 50*5. Who has ever heard of 50*1.75. I am going to laugh my ass off when they bring out 100mbit. Virgin Media, fastest internet connection in the UK, 100mbit and .................................................. ............3mbit up.

homealone
12-12-2008, 23:25
the fact that it is 1.75 shows they are being tight and giving is the bare minimum to make it work. If they weren't being cheap skates they would give us a nice round 2 or 3 (as a minimum). If i was being reasonable i would expect 50*5. Who has ever heard of 50*1.75. I am going to laugh my ass off when they bring out 100mbit. Virgin Media, fastest internet connection in the UK, 100mbit and .................................................. ............3mbit up.

then don't sign up for it, it isn't compulsory :erm:

personally I cannot justify spending that much on my internet access - I have enough trouble managing the storage of downloads from a standard 20mb connection, all 50mb would do is make that problem happen faster....

sk8er_boi6000
12-12-2008, 23:37
I still intend to sign up, because the download speed will come in handy, especially if not STMed. He has a point though, 1.75mb is crap when you have 50mb down

General Maximus
12-12-2008, 23:45
i am going to have it, i will always want whatever is the fastest because every little helps, up or down, and means i am not rushing all the time to try and get everything downloaded and uploaded and trying to cram time in for my gaming as well. I was just saying that they can easily do better without going OTT on the bandwidth.

ichiban
13-12-2008, 05:06
will it be a new contract if you sign up or just an upgrade? If so can downgrade it after a couple of months after the excitement wears off.

whydoIneedatech
13-12-2008, 07:03
will it be a new contract if you sign up or just an upgrade? If so can downgrade it after a couple of months after the excitement wears off.
In on of the threads I think someone mentioned a possible 18 month contract.

Stabhappy
13-12-2008, 08:24
18 month having a laugh, 12 is bad enough.

General Maximus
13-12-2008, 09:50
no way it is going to be 18 months, I have read on several sites that it is going to be 12.

InfiniteBiscuit
13-12-2008, 12:19
If it's available in my area, I probably will go for it. But in doing so, I'm dropping a V+ box, and the sports and movie channels.

broadbandking
13-12-2008, 13:05
Yeah the new service will be a 12 month contract

General Maximus
13-12-2008, 13:47
good idea, there is only so much tv you can watch :)

Rone
13-12-2008, 16:04
4) Not bother with 50Mb as [fairly] happy with my current broadband.

I dont upload so its a bit pointless, in fact 10 meg might even be a better option.

sk8er_boi6000
13-12-2008, 20:19
I wouldn't have thought they'll put you on a 12 month contract if you have already been with Virgin for more than 12 months. Would be an odd policy anyway as it would put some current customers off upgrading

MadGamer
13-12-2008, 20:39
Its not available where I live. They didn't install the cables when the development was built, and they wont in the future as its too expensive.

bw41101
13-12-2008, 20:40
To me, it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference. It's all very well having the capability of blistering speed - but not a lot of use if the service you're connected to (at the other end) runs at a snails pace. :erm:

Until these facts are fully understood and accepted, then (unfortunately) many will be paying for a capability that (in reality) is limited by the very technology which just isn't present out there in the real world to support it. :erm:

I've (until now) run for 12 months on 20Mb (XL package) and have recently dropped down to the 10 Meg package - the difference is hardly noticeable! :erm:

In reality (unless for business purposes) not worth the extra expense. :erm:

Si thee :Sprint:

sk8er_boi6000
13-12-2008, 21:04
I have been on the 20mb package since it was first introduced, and because I am in an area that isn't oversubscribed I get fantastic speed, I can regularly pull in excess of 2 MB/s on torrents and servers that are able to supply the bandwidth

I still feel Virgin need to upgrade their networks as some areas just clearly lack the capacity, but I am one of those lucky enough to be in an area where the capacity is already present

General Maximus
13-12-2008, 21:19
i am exactly the same as sk8er

Jabbs
13-12-2008, 22:10
Same tbh i get fantastic speeds 2.33mbs on usenet, not sure if i would ever need 50m am happy with what i got now.

GazCBG
14-12-2008, 14:30
I can hit 20mb 99.9% of the time.
I get 2.4/2.5mb on newsgroups

ntl.wotcha
15-12-2008, 12:05
You missed an option...

6. Not order because they cannot deliver 2mb let alone 20 or 50 !

southwell
15-12-2008, 12:08
You missed an option...

6. Not order because they cannot deliver 2mb let alone 20 or 50 !
50mb will be on DOCSIS3 not 2, also 20mb will move over too so lower tiers should see more reliable connections.

Mick
15-12-2008, 12:10
Can we keep to the one discussion thread please (Link below):

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33642442-virgin-s-50mb-broadband-arriving-december.html