PDA

View Full Version : Losing connection while downloading

Ruki
09-12-2008, 20:52
While I was on 4mb everything worked fine. Then they upgraded it to 10mb and I started losing connection while downloading! I noticed this the same day the free upgrade arrived. Didn't take much notice of it as I'd just quickly reset my modem and router.

Im now on 20mb and moved house too but still the same thing happens. If I'm thinking of downloading something it's a sure bet that my connection will drop after half an hour or so of continous downloading.

Its getting annoying this time round cuz I have to walk upstairs to reset my modem and can't leave my laptop on all night to download.

Any ideas what could be causing this problem? Similiar stories?

Thanks

Fatec
09-12-2008, 20:54
May i ask what modem you have?

And could you post your signal levels?

moaningmags
09-12-2008, 20:56
Which modem do you have?
Can you type 192.168.100.1 into your web browser username and password both root if required.
Go to the signal page and post power levels and signal to noise levels as this will help.

Beaten to it.

Ruki
09-12-2008, 21:08
I forgot to mention that I had Motorola Surfboard and I had the same problem with it but since I moved they gave me some new Virgin Media modem (apparently they couldn't get the old one to work in this area) but the problems continued.

So two modems, two houses, two areas-same problem.
Cable Modem Downstream Downstream Lock : Locked Downstream Channel Id : 4 Downstream Frequency : 331000000 Hz Downstream Modulation : QAM256 Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4 Downstream Receive Power Level : -8.9 dBmV Downstream SNR : 34.8 dB

Cable Modem Upstream Upstream Lock : Locked Upstream Channel ID : 4 Upstream Frequency : 25800000 Hz Upstream Modulation : QAM16 Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec Upstream transmit Power Level : 59.0 dBmV Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

moaningmags
09-12-2008, 21:09
Upstream power level at 59.0 dbmv is the cause of your problem and requires a visit from a technician.

Ruki
09-12-2008, 21:32
ok, thanks, i will call them tomorrow. is this high or low power level? tnx.

moaningmags
09-12-2008, 21:38
Very high upstream power level causing your modem to disconnect and reboot when you attempt to do something with the connection, such as downloading.

Ruki
10-12-2008, 14:07
Called VM today, they said that there's a fault in the area and that's the reason for a very high upstream power level. Apparently it started 2 days ago and it should be fixed by 3pm tomorrow.

But since my connection has been dropping since the end of September I'm guessing it must be something else then. Nothing to do but wait now til they get it fixed however.

xocemp
10-12-2008, 14:40
That high upstream power level is a local issue and not a network issue or area issue.
Call again mate, sadly you got through to an agent who couldn't be bothered or needs further training.

Ruki
16-12-2008, 17:23
Well, they've sent someone to check it out today. Power Level was 59.5 dbmv, he went outside to look for a box, came 10 mins later and said that 2 houses are connected via one cable (myself and the house next to me) and that this might be causing the problem as well as the fact that the box is a long way from the house (on the other street)

He said he'll speak to someone from VM and they'll try to install another cable so we don't share the same one anymore.

My connection is useless to me right now as I don't download during the day and can't leave it on during the night as it will disconnect and not download anything or very little.

I have to baby sit my computer for the downloads to finish properly.

He also said UBR might be oversubscribed.

Should I ask for a pricedrop or something as I'm unwilling to pay for the full price til they get it fixed?

Ruki
16-12-2008, 22:39
P.S. I was also wondering why would they connect the house next to mine via the box/splitter installed on the outside of my house. Is this even legal for them to do without me giving them permission? I've just moved to this house and it's been like that when I moved in. Surely the house next door should have it's own connection and not use mine?

chickendippers
16-12-2008, 22:47
Give the engineer some time to follow up and register the appropriate notes on the system, then ring customer care and they should give you a discount.

AndyCambs
02-01-2009, 22:55
This may be totally unrelated but - I am getting a periodic disconnection - but it seems to be corrected with a reboot of the Linksys WRT54GS router rather than the modem.
It's only just started (well - in the last six weeks) and I wonder if anyone has any idea what might be causing it?

EssDee
02-01-2009, 23:09
Have you tried changing the wireless channel? Maybe a neighbour has recently set up wireless on the same channel? Worth a shot.....

AndyCambs
02-01-2009, 23:27
Have you tried changing the wireless channel? Maybe a neighbour has recently set up wireless on the same channel? Worth a shot.....
Would be - but this computer is connected by the ethernet cable...

EssDee
02-01-2009, 23:39
Coupla things to try

New cable.
Different router port.
'Nailup' the speed/duplex settings on the PC NIC (if set to auto-negotiate). Try 100 Full.
Router firmware upgrade.

jkenney
03-01-2009, 16:20
He also said UBR might be oversubscribed.

Should I ask for a pricedrop or something as I'm unwilling to pay for the full price til they get it fixed?

of course you should, they aren't providing the service you paid for. if the ubr is oversubscribed, it means they have too many customers in your area & wont do the required upgrades to make sure you all still get a reliable service.

better yet, you should find another isp that can provide the service you pay for.

if you were paying any other company to provide you with a service & they weren't, you'd expect some kind of compensation, or a refund.