PDA

View Full Version : Upstream power level

caph
09-12-2008, 20:48
I've been told that I need an engineer out because my upstream power level is too high (55.5 which I know is high but it is rock steady). My complaint is actually to do with poor speeds. Is it worth going ahead with an engineer visit? Sometimes my speed will stay at 8-9Mb for a whole evening, but other days it will be at 1Mb. If the power level stays the same during both periods, then it can't be the power level, can it?

Also, I've already been told by second level support that the problem is an oversubscribed UBR.

moaningmags
09-12-2008, 20:50
Power levels outwith the acceptable range can, and often does, cause slow speeds as the ubr will be constantly trying to correct the power level.

caph
09-12-2008, 20:57
Power levels outwith the acceptable range can, and often does, cause slow speeds as the ubr will be constantly trying to correct the power level.

OK, I'll get an engineer booked. Still not convinced though, because for a couple of weeks when I first signed up I was getting speeds between 13-17Mb. I don't suppose I've got anything to lose though.

caph
11-12-2008, 10:53
I've had the usual bashing my head off a brick wall with indian support for days on end until I finally got through to an english person who could help. He reckons my power level is around 0.5 and is fine! He asked where I got 55.5 from. I told him it was my upstream power level in my modem config page but he said he couldn't find any level like that at his end, so no engineer was booked.

Anyone any idea what's going on?

whydoIneedatech
11-12-2008, 11:02
I've had the usual bashing my head off a brick wall with indian support for days on end until I finally got through to an english person who could help. He reckons my power level is around 0.5 and is fine! He asked where I got 55.5 from. I told him it was my upstream power level in my modem config page but he said he couldn't find any level like that at his end, so no engineer was booked.

You need to ring back because if it was at 0.5 you would not be online, he was quite wrong and another agent should be able to see the true issue

caph
15-12-2008, 19:29
Just had a reply back from the newsgroup:-

"This power level is fine, until this goes over 58dB, or below 34dB it will
not cause a problem with your connection".

I'm really getting fed up with tech support continually contradicting themselves. Now I have no idea whether I have a problem or not. Surely there must be a Virgin Tech Support manual somewhere which contains the facts. Does anyone have a copy they could email me or know where I can download one?

caph
17-12-2008, 00:30
The silence speaks volumes. I assume that there is no official upstream power level limits and that tech support just wet a finger and stick it in the air. I know for a fact that certain Virgin support people on this forum have quoted upper power limits, I can only assume that they were not based on anything concrete. Please someone prove me wrong because my faith in tech support is falling through the floor here and I know for a fact that there are some good guys out there.

Joxer
17-12-2008, 01:04
The silence is because it is a fairly complicated issue, it depend which platform you are on and which modem. Oh, and the sticky thread explaining it because people can get a bit ****ed off answering the sane question again and again ight be worth reading..

caph
17-12-2008, 18:31
Oops. Missed that. Consider my words eaten. I might have known that the info I needed was on this forum already.

Thanks for replying even if it was only to point out I was being a bit of a muppet!

I now feel confident that my rock steady 55.5 is not an issue. Still p***** off at being messed around though.

Ignitionnet
17-12-2008, 18:39

Up to 55 / 58dBmV transmit power is fine, depending on which modulation is being used on the upstream. It's only above that level that the CMTS may send power adjustment requests to the modem which it cannot comply with. If the CMTS is happy with the level the modem is transmitting it, which it is in this case as the modem is steady at 55.5dBmV, there's no issue.

---------- Post added at 17:38 ---------- Previous post was at 17:37 ----------

Just had a reply back from the newsgroup:-

"This power level is fine, until this goes over 58dB, or below 34dB it will
not cause a problem with your connection".

I'm really getting fed up with tech support continually contradicting themselves. Now I have no idea whether I have a problem or not. Surely there must be a Virgin Tech Support manual somewhere which contains the facts. Does anyone have a copy they could email me or know where I can download one?

That's not entirely accurate it actually depends on the type of upstream being used on the network and in some cases anything over 55dBmV is out of spec. If they state that in your case up to 58dBmV is fine you're probably ok.

---------- Post added at 17:39 ---------- Previous post was at 17:38 ----------

Yes, the numpty was probably talking about the received power level at the modem, which is totally irrelevant to your request.

He can certainly find the transmit power on your modem, it's right in his face if he uses the tools provided properly.