PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media Complaint

matt8188
09-12-2008, 13:52
Hello, any help or assistance on the below issue would be most appreciated. Apologies in advance for the long post.

My girlfriend and I signed up for VM last November at our previous house as we did not have a BT line and didn't want to pay their £125 installation fee. The installation was a nightmare (they accidentally deleted our application, missed two installation dates, general poor service etc.) We ended up moving house unexpectedly in January of this year and contacted VM to request they migrate our services to our new address.

They told us that as it was a new build property they did not offer the cabled service but they would be delighted to offer their "Beyond Cable" service which once I got to the bottom of it basically meant Virgin ADSL Broadband and a basic freeview box with no additional channels for £14.99 a month. For this service we required an active BT line which we didn't have. I asked the rude and inept VM customer service lady if there were any other options and she said the only other thing was to pay the termination fee (10 months x £20). Not wanting to pay money for nothing we requested the "beyond cable service".

Nothing happened for two weeks, no welcome letter or any sign of the equipment so I rang them up. The original account was in my partners name as I have bad credit but we requested they put a note on their system that I could speak to them as she works long hours without access to a phone. When I rang them they told me they had to speak to my girlfriend as it was not my account, despite speaking to the exact same person two weeks before about the same issue! Katy rang them up and they said they had no record of the application but when they looked into it they had received one but it had been declined because her credit rating was not high enough. This is crazy because it was fine for us to pay £40 a month for the cable service but apparently the "Beyond Cable" service was a different contract that used different credit scoring criteria!!

They did say the could however offer us the basic month by month ADSL service which didn't include their (amazing!) Virgin freeview box but this was £17.99 a month (less services for more money). We decided having weighed up the options to take this rather than pay the £200 termination fee from our previous cable contract.

We were told we could cancel after the 10 months we would have had remaining on our old contract had expired if we wanted to, but they were confident we would be impressed with their service!! For this Virgin ADSL we also had to get a BT line (£125) and line rental (£11 a month). I wish we had just got these at our old house in the first place instead of rubbish Virgin. After over a month we finally received the modem and filter and it worked correctly, however my girlfriend did not receive a welcome letter, contract to sign or a new account number.

We've had the ADSL line since February now and it is rubbish. Suppose to be up to 8mb but I'm lucky if I get downloads at 80kb/s. Twice it has gone off for unknown reasons the most recent been yesterday when I received the error "0721 The remote computer did not respond". I googled the problem without much luck so contacted VM. They told me I must ring their (premium rate) tech line!! I told them we had enough of their rubbish service and wanted to cancel now we had gone over the 12 months since our original contract. He said my girlfriend had agreed to a 12 month contract in February and couldn't cancel until then!! We have never received an account number or contract to sign. We were put on the month by month ADSL service because she allegedly failed their credit score. They are making things up. I'm sick of their terrible service and want to complain. I've read that their complaints procedure is very also very poor, stories of not following complaints, ignoring letters etc.

Does anyone know what I can do about these problems and also does anyone have an e-mail complaints address for Virgin Media. Sorry for all the rambling but just getting very tire and frustrated.

chickendippers
09-12-2008, 15:15
The complaints address can be found on this page: http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/contact/complaint-feedback.php

When I wrote to it I promptly received a phone call and the issue was resolved very much to my satisfaction.

BenMcr
09-12-2008, 15:20
Actually for Virgin National its here http://www.virgin.net/customers/contactus/

The link above is for the Cable only