PDA

View Full Version : Nobody at Sales wants to help

ze0n
08-12-2008, 18:14
Hey,

I have posted about this before but here we go.

Every house on my street but mine can get cable. And the fronts are almost identical. Either side of me can get it, and next doors brown box is clearly visible on their wall.

Now I've called sales but they say basically 'computer says nooooo' when I give them my address. And I ask them to put me to installs or send someone out to look etc they go 'nothing we can do'.

I am just confused as to why every house including either side can get it but me. Anyone out there that works for VM help please? :angel: I'm in Oldham.

Thanks

Hom3r
08-12-2008, 18:28
Try again you might get a different person willing to help.

MovedGoalPosts
08-12-2008, 18:37
Have you asked for the spotters line?

If the computer says no, then someone has to physically check.

If a spotter has been and said no then that will be that.

ze0n
08-12-2008, 19:15
I've asked to be put through to nearly every department, they never do :S. Anyone got a direct number for spotters?

jungleguy
08-12-2008, 23:49
no direct number for spotters, you could fill out the online form, or ring sales and get them to take your details again, I understand that sales now get a commission for passing your details onto a spotter, so they'll probably more helpful than in the past.

spiderplant
09-12-2008, 13:46
Here's the form

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/forms/unserviceableLeads.html

neilo
13-12-2008, 11:23
Continuing my 'In the Twilight Zone with Virgin Media' items, I would just like to add that I know how you feel. In Feb 2006, there was some men digging up the path at the side of my house and I asked them what they were doing and they said they were putting cable in. Cool, I thought. It then took over two years for VM to accept that there was a cable there, they kept saying we couldn't get cable. We'll send out a spotter etc, but that never happened. They just kept ignoring me.

So In the end we grabbed a VM salesman who lived in the next road and what do you know - cable TV was installed in two weeks flat.

The thing is if you look on their postcode checker, it says we can only get National services in our postcode yet my two neighbours can get it it as can various other peeps in the street.

VM are round the twist really, you think they would be jumping over people who say they can get cable and they would at least keep their postcode checker upto date in case anyone moves in to the street knows they are available.

My advice, next time you see a VM sales man anywhere, ask him. Walk out in front of his car if necessary. Actually you probably shouldn't do that, but that be the only way you'll get their attention.

ze0n
16-12-2008, 22:15
OK update on the situation

After filling that form in someone called me up saying I should be able to get it and he'd come round to have a look.

Came round, had a look, said I should be able to get it. He said the plans are wrong as it says there is no cable on my side of the street but their obviously is. He said it was something to do with there being no pavement. Anyway, he said he'd update the database, get me signed up and waiting for and install date. Unfortunately, It will be after xmas.

Thanks guys. Let 'ya know how it goes.

ze0n
29-12-2008, 16:09
OK update :@

Two 'engineers' well, they weren't installers, I dunno what they were actually, came last week to quote "sort the underground cabling out" for the install I had booked after new year. They were here 10mins and just left so I thought oh must be done then.

I had a phone call today from Virgin saying they cannot get me cable now (after getting me to sign taking my ****ing deposit etc) as there is a blockage in the road (:confused:) and it is not financially viable for them to sort that out and cable me up as I only want TV, and if I got BB, TV and phone they would then do it, (:rolleyes:).

So

No 9 - GETS CABLE
No 7 - NO CABLE
No 5 - GETS CABLE

Strange company. Oh well.

Maggy
29-12-2008, 16:23
OK update :@

Two 'engineers' well, they weren't installers, I dunno what they were actually, came last week to quote "sort the underground cabling out" for the install I had booked after new year. They were here 10mins and just left so I thought oh must be done then.

I had a phone call today from Virgin saying they cannot get me cable now (after getting me to sign taking my ****ing deposit etc) as there is a blockage in the road (:confused:) and it is not financially viable for them to sort that out and cable me up as I only want TV, and if I got BB, TV and phone they would then do it, (:rolleyes:).

So

No 9 - GETS CABLE
No 7 - NO CABLE
No 5 - GETS CABLE

Strange company. Oh well.

Seems a bit odd and a sort of blackmail to me...

ze0n
29-12-2008, 16:29
It was the Area Manager that called me today.

etccarmageddon
29-12-2008, 17:25
if someone takes a deposit from you it's a contract - I think they're probably acting illegally then saying you are unviable unless you take out more than 1 service because of that deposit. otherwise it would be a 1 sided deposit where you risk it and they risk nothing.

jungleguy
29-12-2008, 18:20
I think you'll find no deposit was taken, just an upfront to contribute to the first bill when installed. Obviously no instal so you are eligible for a full refund.

If you take all 3 services the company is prepared to spend more money (ie dig up more road) to get you installed. If this is a carriage way dig, I think you'll be wasting your time. They very rarely go ahead, and generally only for existing customers.

ze0n
31-12-2008, 13:53
Yeah, 'twas a carriageway dig. But its a very small 1 way cul-de-sac and theyd have to dig like 2meters if that.

Oh and I got a welcome pack through the post today, haha.

The Installer
31-12-2008, 18:35
As posted above, if it involves digging the road then you'll just be onto a looser. They will only normally dig the footpath regardless of what type of street you live in.

ze0n
01-01-2009, 12:44
Can't they just use cabling from no 5's brown box on the front of their house, it's like 5metres away from my house :(

The Installer
01-01-2009, 14:15
Can't they just use cabling from no 5's brown box on the front of their house, it's like 5metres away from my house :(

This can be done as a temporary measure only not as a permanent one. The simple reason being you require your own drop cable. Even though at the moment you only want CATV, what would happen if you wanted a phoneline at some point and say number 5 already had two phonelines installed ?

Simple answer you would not be able to have a phoneline, the same would apply if they had one line and you had another, so using both pairs in the drop cable and then number 5 decided they wanted a second line fitted for whatever reason. On the VM system this would show that they have one phoneline fitted and an engineer would then turn up to fit them a second line on the pair you were using and then the problems would start. Would he either say sorry to number 5 they can't have a secondline installed as you are using their second pair or does he disconnect you to connect them ??? All this is even before you considder they might not want a cable across the front of their property or they might move out and the next tenant might object to the setup etc etc.

This is just one scenario and i know i mention phonelines here and you're just looking at CATV at the moment but there could also be problems if there was not enough signal to run your setup and theirs on the one cable too as you would be splitting the signal to both properties. I'm not saying this would happen but it could and thats the reason you require your own cable and should not be running off next doors drop cable ;)