PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media and PS3 = no go

spaff
07-12-2008, 16:42
Ok i am pretty annoyed

To start off my ps3 can connect to the internet fine, i have the correct ports forwarded to my router and have nat type 2, which is correct.

I have recently bought Call of duty world at war, and i have only this weekend encountered some problems, with what i believe to be virgin media.

In the morning i have no problems connecting and playing online with my friends, but when it gets to abut 3-4 o'clock it all goes to pot! I can eventually get into a game and it all loads up, but then it goes to "setting up game" and stays for more than 5 - 20 minutes stuck on that screen. The only way to stop it is to quit the game or turn off the entire system.

I can only presume that this is virgin media "throttling" my internet speed or something as i have spent a few hours surfing the internet looking for people who likewise have the same problem - so im taking it that it is my console that is broken etc.

If anyone can help me out here or just give me some advise i would be extremely grateful.

Thanks in Advance

spaff x

moaningmags
07-12-2008, 16:47
First thing to do would be to call tech support and ask about any issues in your area.

Or use the newsgroups and ask there.

chickendippers
07-12-2008, 16:50
STM will not affect your connectivity and still leaves plenty of bandwidth for online gaming.

Graham M
07-12-2008, 16:51
STM will not affect your connectivity and still leaves plenty of bandwidth for online gaming.

this is true, although i find when STM is enforced my packet loss goes sky high :(

Horace
07-12-2008, 18:23
Ok i am pretty annoyed

To start off my ps3 can connect to the internet fine, i have the correct ports forwarded to my router and have nat type 2, which is correct.

I have recently bought Call of duty world at war, and i have only this weekend encountered some problems, with what i believe to be virgin media.

In the morning i have no problems connecting and playing online with my friends, but when it gets to abut 3-4 o'clock it all goes to pot! I can eventually get into a game and it all loads up, but then it goes to "setting up game" and stays for more than 5 - 20 minutes stuck on that screen. The only way to stop it is to quit the game or turn off the entire system.

I can only presume that this is virgin media "throttling" my internet speed or something as i have spent a few hours surfing the internet looking for people who likewise have the same problem - so im taking it that it is my console that is broken etc.

If anyone can help me out here or just give me some advise i would be extremely grateful.

Thanks in Advance

spaff x

Tea time on a Sunday afternoon particularly as well as every other day is super-peak time so any problems with over-subscription of your UBR will become very apparent then as your whole area decides to settle down in front of the internets (yes all of them).

Noggo
07-12-2008, 18:40
Sorry dude but it doesn't = no go, as the PS3 at my house works fine and dandy. You must have some local issues affecting your connection. I would get it checked out by tech support either on newsgroup support or telephone.

mcmanic
08-12-2008, 09:14
if your wireless try wired connection,

webcrawler2050
08-12-2008, 10:09
This could be the Call of duty game server just simply getting clogged up. This isnt caused by Virgin Media.. do you have a router install on your modem? Or something else?

pabscars
08-12-2008, 12:37
This could be the Call of duty game server just simply getting clogged up. This isnt caused by Virgin Media.. do you have a router install on your modem? Or something else?

i would have to aggree with you there webcrawler, last night there were all manner of problems with cod5 (for me via xbox), but none i would atribute to a ISP fault, i have VM's 20 meg service and at the moment it is absolutely spot on :D, yet i still had trouble getting into games, and what i found wierd was that i could select to join a headquarters game and it would put me in a hardcore team deathmatch, which is not even close to being the match i had originally selected. this happened to my online friends as well.

webcrawler2050
08-12-2008, 12:43
i would have to aggree with you there webcrawler, last night there were all manner of problems with cod5 (for me via xbox), but none i would atribute to a ISP fault, i have VM's 20 meg service and at the moment it is absolutely spot on :D, yet i still had trouble getting into games, and what i found wierd was that i could select to join a headquarters game and it would put me in a hardcore team deathmatch, which is not even close to being the match i had originally selected. this happened to my online friends as well.

Indeed - it's still pretty new to be honest, so people are playing it. I would expect this to get worse, especially of the Christmas period.

tomac78
08-12-2008, 17:55
I have a similar problem.

I am on 10mb Virgin and have my Mac iBook, Xbox 360, and PS3 all setup wireless, and they are all in the same room. When I download something on my Mac I often get full speed which is fantastic, and when I download a demo on Xbox 360 I also get incredible speeds (the Street Fighter II game the other day came down in a few minutes - its 350mb). However whenever I download something on my PS3, the speed is pathetic. Its incredibly slow and a seemingly small download (150mb) can take forever, over an hour in some cases. This is on different days so I am not using my allowance up for the day.

They are all set up in the same room, and I am 10m away from the router (across the corridor so it has to be wireless I am afraid) and the PS3 reads strength as 90%. It's NAT is Type 2.

I went around to my mates house who has 4mb ADSL, and the downloads were very very fast, much like what I'd expect. Back home, same night, same demo, my speed is painful.

Something has to be up at Virgins end, I remember similar problems with Xbox 360 downloads on NTL when the system first came out.

tomac78
08-12-2008, 20:44
I've just lugged my Triple into the lounge and done some tests with the connection. I've just the easiest method ever to calculate the speeds; counting in my head.

Wireless in room (90% strength): 1mb every 10 seconds
Wireless in lounge, right next to router (100% strength): 1mb every 7 seconds
Wired: 1mb every 4 or 5 seconds

The Wired connection is giving me a speed of around 5 or 6mb then, so not the full 10mb, but it is peak times right now.

Basically to summarise, the PS3's wireless is causing the problem for me, and although I am not getting the maximum speed that my Mac gets, its very very quick now its wired. The problem is that at the moment the PS3 lives in the spare room on the little HD display, and until I get a new TV for the lounge it will be staying there. Hopefully this will happen soon