PDA

View Full Version : Offer to add telephone and TV to my BB package

sparky621
07-12-2008, 12:52
Yesterday I received a phone call from "VM Customer Services"
Unfortunately my understanding of what they were offering was a little confused by the fact that the caller had a strong indian accent and they were calling me on my mobile phone.
I think they were offering to add a phone line and TV for an extra £3 a month. Is this likely to be right?
When I explained that I had previously had an NTL TV and phone (it was the only way to get BB at the time) and that the boxes were still in place I was told I would be able to do a self install and wouldn't have to pay the installation fee. The kit would be sent in the post with everything I would need. I have just checked in the JB outside to find that when I had the stand alone BB installed the coax to the TV point was disconnected and curled up,and a new one run for the BB modem. Is it just a case of installing a splitter and would this come with the self install package. I'm an electrician so if I need to make off my own connection thats not a problem but I want to do things properly!
By the way I've asked for the details of the offer to be put in the post so I haven't ordered anything yet. Thanks,Sparky

BenMcr
07-12-2008, 14:25
I assume you are paying £18 for broadband.

So what they would be offering is Triple M all services which is £21 a month (£20 when on e-billing)

As you already have the points all you would pay is the £15 delivery charge for the STB

The Self Install pack would come with everything needed to hook it up to the existing points

sparky621
07-12-2008, 20:02
Thanks for your reply BenMcr,
My question is that I have my modem in one room (study) and the STB will be in the living room. Hense cables going in two directions. The old intallation only had the cable to the STB(the disconnected one) and cat5 LAN coming back to the computer.Do I need a splitter and will it come with the kit or does it require a visit from an installer? If a visit from an installer is required (and a full fee) then I wont be taking up the offer. Thanks again, Sparky

BenMcr
07-12-2008, 21:14
You would need a white cable box on the wall in the living room as the STB only comes with about 1.5 metres of co-ax

If you don't have one then you would need an engineer

sparky621
07-12-2008, 21:45
All boxes are still in place, all thats needed is for the cable to the living room to be re-connected in the brown JB outside my front door (with a Y connector I assume). Thats the piece of kit I'm not sure about receiving with the self install. If need be I would be able to get it myself if that is OK.

BenMcr
07-12-2008, 21:46
That won't be part of the pack. Not sure what you would need to do it yourself either.

With the self install option, Virgin assume that the wiring hasn't been altered their side of the internal points (if you see what I mean)

Dai
07-12-2008, 23:05
The samsung self-install kit I received recently included a new splitter and a nifty little plastic spanner. For some strange reason it also included THREE short coaxial cables...

sparky621
07-12-2008, 23:09
If I have to get my own I assume it will be along the lines of this:

http://www.tonercable.com/Files/ProductFiles/966/Images/ProductImage1_Large.jpg

As I said earlier, I'm an electrician (name sort of gives it away!) so sourcing one isn't a problem if I'm told what to get. I just don't want to do anything that I shouldn't.
And, obviously, I don't want to go ahead and find I've got to pay for full installation afterall when all thats needed is for the engineer to put a splitter in and walk away. I'm only interested because it sounds like I can save money by doing away with Sky, to whom I'm paying a subscription for a 10 year old standard digi-box and expect me to pay for a new one.

---------- Post added at 23:09 ---------- Previous post was at 23:06 ----------

Ah, DaiNasty, our posts crossed! if thats the case then I'm sorted. Thanks