PDA

View Full Version : Generic questions re install of BB & Phone

Gollom
07-12-2008, 09:45
I am having Virgin Media install soon (10MB broadband and telephone - no TV)and have a couple of questions. My IT tech skills on a scale of 1-10 are 8 (work in the IT industry)

Just finishing off decorating so wanted to hide the cable prior to new carpets. A Virgin engineer told me RG6 so have laid 10m (no joins and no termination) from the house entry point to where I would like the router
I understand the router will be a NetGear WGR614?
Currently I am using a NetGear DG834 cconnected by Ethernet (not USB) - will this still be the case?
Could I continue to use my existing router?
I'd like to avoid installing any of Virgins "easy install" (sic) software like Broadband Advisor - can I avoid this?
Currently using AVG - is the Virgin bundled package any better and worth installing?

Many thanks - hopefully the answers will be helpful to others too :)

BenMcr
07-12-2008, 09:53
To answer simply

1) RG6 is for the broadband only, so should be ok. Telephone is on different cable

2) Yes

3) Yes

4) No, not unless you can disable the modem in it

5) Possibly. Virgin's router does use a CD for setup but you can set it up manually. If you do you won't get any support from Virgin. The broadband registration itself doesn't use a CD and you can decline to install any software associated with that.

6) Stick with AVG

Hope this helps ;)

moaningmags
07-12-2008, 10:12
We do support manual set ups of the router.
A lot of us do it this way after ripping out the Virgin Wireless Manager when it can't find the router but Windows can.

Gollom
07-12-2008, 10:13
To answer simply

1) RG6 is for the broadband only, so should be ok. Telephone is on different cable

Hope this helps ;)

Thanks for such a prompt response

I was assuming that they will simply wire into the existing telephone socket so that no new cable need be run. That a foolish assumption?

BenMcr
07-12-2008, 10:43
They aren't supposed to stop the BT Master Socket working on BT. So if you only have that, then Virgin should install their own.

This then stops arguments 10 years later when you or someone else may want to swap providers and BT want to charge a full install fee ;) (as happens a fair bit at the moment)

Any additional sockets can normally be wired into Virgin