PDA

View Full Version : which modem?

opentoideas
06-12-2008, 20:04
i am currently using the surfboard 4200 that i got from Telewest many years ago but also have a surfboard 5100 that i aquired when helping clear out my brothers old flat.

other than the colour and physical size of the modem are there any reasons to use one rather than the other?

i have the 20m service

Joxer
06-12-2008, 20:58
The one you are using will work, the other one won't.

---------- Post added at 20:58 ---------- Previous post was at 20:55 ----------

After posting that it looks a bit abrupt and wasn't meant to be.

So here is a smiley.:D

Noggo
06-12-2008, 20:59
As far as I'm aware both are 20Meg compatible. If the SB4200 is working ok, I wouldn't change.
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2008/12/65.jpg

Keep it as a backup modem and if the other one gets a fault, you could swap them then. (Unsure on this one tho. Will VM change the MAC code over to the SB5100 if you requested it. As they will not have any record of sending you one out).

BenMcr
06-12-2008, 21:10
Once you have the modem replaced, the old one is useless. Only thing you can do with it is throw it away (in an enviromentally friendly way)

opentoideas
06-12-2008, 21:11
The one you are using will work, the other one won't.

---------- Post added at 20:58 ---------- Previous post was at 20:55 ----------

After posting that it looks a bit abrupt and wasn't meant to be.

So here is a smiley.:D

:D abruptness allowed, but any justification to the statement? i guess that VM could tie into whatever the equivilent of a mac address is for the VM side of the system and i guess it would make sense so that i didn't plug them both in and get 40m. ok ignore the question:rolleyes::D

worth keeping as a backup though as if mine breaks no doubt they could change over if needed

BenMcr
06-12-2008, 21:12
Again, no they won't swap it ;)

They will only enable modems directly issued to the account. modems 'aquired' no matter how won't work

Jon T
06-12-2008, 21:14
If your modem breaks, virgin will provide a new one.

Joxer
06-12-2008, 21:19
In fact old modems can be blacklisted so they will never work, even if registered - this is an attempt to prevent fraud. It used to be possible to buy your own modem and have it registered but not any more, again it helps prevent fraud.

If you need a new modem VM will give you one for free anyway (unless you did something silly, like hit it with a large hammer, then they charge you).

whydoIneedatech
06-12-2008, 22:09
:D abruptness allowed, but any justification to the statement? i guess that VM could tie into whatever the equivilent of a mac address is for the VM side of the system and i guess it would make sense so that i didn't plug them both in and get 40m. ok ignore the question:rolleyes::D

worth keeping as a backup though as if mine breaks no doubt they could change over if needed
If the SB5100 was registered against your brothers account then it is not possible to add it to your account as my colleagues have stated above.

The SB4200 v2 is 20Mb capable the SB4200 v1 is not 20Mb capable, so if ever you need a new modem call Tech Support.

opentoideas
06-12-2008, 22:16
i will probably "recycle" it on fleabay, they seem to be selling regularly for around the £20-£25 mark so might as well get something for it :)

---------- Post added at 22:16 ---------- Previous post was at 22:13 ----------

The SB4200 v2 is 20Mb capable the SB4200 v1 is not 20Mb capable, so if ever you need a new modem call Tech Support.

how do i tell the version? it is a 4200i but i can't find any reference to a version.

since i am on 20meg i would hope it is capable but customer services didn't ask when i upgraded

Joxer
06-12-2008, 22:17
The config page should tell you I think.

whydoIneedatech
06-12-2008, 22:20
i will probably "recycle" it on fleabay, they seem to be selling regularly for around the £20-£25 mark so might as well get something for it :)
If you sell a second hand modem of Ebay then you will be selling stolen goods, because at all times the modem remains the property of Virginmedia, also the modem will not work as it cannot be added to another account by any one but Virginmedia, and therefore its only use would be as a paperweight.

---------- Post added at 22:20 ---------- Previous post was at 22:18 ----------

how do i tell the version? it is a 4200i but i can't find any reference to a version.

since i am on 20meg i would hope it is capable but customer services didn't ask when i upgraded
Usually you only find out on a call as we can see it in our online tools which version if the sticker on the base does not state it.

opentoideas
06-12-2008, 22:33
If you sell a second hand modem of Ebay then you will be selling stolen goods, because at all times the modem remains the property of Virginmedia, also the modem will not work as it cannot be added to another account by any one but Virginmedia, and therefore its only use would be as a paperweight.

---------- Post added at 22:20 ---------- Previous post was at 22:18 ----------

Usually you only find out on a call as we can see it in our online tools which version if the sticker on the base does not state it.

as telewest did not make any provision to colect the hardware it is not stolen - please feel free to look up the defenition of theft - A person is guilty of theft if: he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it.

as it was neither dishonestly appropriated nor is there intent, it is not theft.

as to its functionality that does not apear to deter many ebayers - just have a look at how many "faulty" items are bought and sold for silly money!

i guess it must be a version 2 as i have been getting about 18meg just interested

BenMcr
06-12-2008, 22:36
as telewest did not make any provision to colect the hardware it is not stolen - please feel free to look up the defenition of theft - A person is guilty of theft if: he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it.

as it was neither dishonestly appropriated nor is there intent, it is not theft.
I looked up theft. I got:

In criminal law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_law), theft (also known as stealing or filching) is the illegal taking of another person's property (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Property) without that person's freely-given consent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consent)

Virgin never give anyone consent to take or sell the modem. They may decline to collect it, but that is not the same thing

as to its functionality that does not apear to deter many ebayers - just have a look at how many "faulty" items are bought and sold for silly money!
So just cos it's on ebay means it's legal?

homealone
06-12-2008, 22:47

i guess it must be a version 2 as i have been getting about 18meg just interested

bye bye - thieves go on my ignore list ...

whydoIneedatech
06-12-2008, 22:49

Well it is definitely a version 2.

I know people sell them and my post is purely a heads up as the likelihood of a modem on Ebay working legally is non existent and they will never be added to anyones account that buys them, so it would be cheaper to just burn your cash.:p::p:

opentoideas
06-12-2008, 23:04
no ebay in no way confirms legality, merely that fools and their money are easily parted :)

the same can be said for wikipedia (any fool writing up what they think is fact)

for my source I prefer uk law -

Reference: Section 1 of the Theft Act 1968.
Last Updated: 25/7/2008

as for being put on your ignore list (homealone) - fine by me, I am happy to be ignored by the ignorant. I am sure you are knowledgeable and helpful but for that statement that is how I classify you.

I agree that to knowledgably retain virgins equipment is theft and should be in no way condoned. after my brother moved out I found the modem while clearing out his (mostly) garbage. it is most likely that this was telewest equipment but I have no way of knowing this, it could have been purchased from anywhere. in the mountains of mail there were no telewest letters requesting the return of any kit so I now have it as it seemed a waste to just throw it in the bin.

If you don’t like me defending this position then tough - I don’t like being labelled a thief! Especially by someone clearly ignorant of the term being used

---------- Post added at 23:04 ---------- Previous post was at 23:01 ----------

Well it is definitely a version 2.

I know people sell them and my post is purely a heads up as the likelihood of a modem on Ebay working legally is non existent and they will never be added to anyones account that buys them, so it would be cheaper to just burn your cash.:p::p:

i know i guess they must be bought by the ignorant or the fools wanting to try and steal internet - which i gather "might" work for all of 5 minutes until Virgin ban you for life - as they should!

either way its hopefully going to pay for the DigiEye i just bought:D

BenMcr
06-12-2008, 23:40
From the Virgin terms (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/legal/oncable/terms.html)

You are responsible for making sure that our equipment is safe and used properly at all times. To do this, you agree to do the following:
Follow the manufacturer's instructions and any other instructions we have given you;
Keep the equipment under your control (for example, you may not sell it, lend it or hire it out to anyone else, put it up as security for a loan or mortgage, or allow it to be seized under any legal process against you). You must not move our equipment from your home without our permission;

---------- Post added at 23:40 ---------- Previous post was at 23:38 ----------

So if you do either, I think that would be classed as theft as it is intentionally going against that which you have agreed by being a Virgin customer.

So to the OP, if you sell it on ebay, Virgin could go after your brother (if they so wished) for theft of their equipment, and you for handling stolen goods.

opentoideas
07-12-2008, 00:02
So to the OP, if you sell it on ebay, Virgin could go after your brother (if they so wished) for theft of their equipment, and you for handling stolen goods.

half right... they could take action against the person who signed the agreement. that is assuming it is their equipment. but at the termination of the agreement, if they make no effort to recover their property they are waving their right to said property. the law of the land is quite simple with regards to this point.

it is, in either case, not "stolen goods"

they do have the right to charge you for the equipment at the termination of the contract if you fail to return it. whether or not they do is up to them but at that point title of the goods is transferred. at no point would they ever be considered "stolen"

in any case it is irrelevant as they would be insane to waste money attempting a prosecution given the value of the equipment but I did feel it necessary to clear up this point as to suggest that anyone could be prosecuted for this is both ridiculous and factually incorrect

BenMcr
07-12-2008, 00:27
whether or not they do is up to them but at that point title of the goods is transferred. at no point would they ever be considered "stolen"

in any case it is irrelevant as they would be insane to waste money attempting a prosecution given the value of the equipment but I did feel it necessary to clear up this point as to suggest that anyone could be prosecuted for this is both ridiculous and factually incorrect
Title of Goods can only be transferred if such provision is made within the initial contract. It is not an automatic right

---------- Post added at 00:27 ---------- Previous post was at 00:17 ----------

Also, if you sell a modem on ebay described as anything else apart from 'Not able to be legally used on Virgin Media' then you could be taken to court as it would not 'conform to contract' under the Sale of Goods Act

http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

darkbeing
07-12-2008, 03:38
Virgin never give anyone consent to take or sell the modem. They may decline to collect it, but that is not the same thing
Actually it is.
If someone leaves property at your house on the understanding it is their property and they want it back and will collect it, you have no obligation to return it if they dont collect it. The property does not remain their property if they fail to remove it within a reasonable period of time. What is reasonable is debateable but certainly if no effort to collect has been made within 1 year you would have a pretty good case for declaring the item yours especially if you could prove you had tried to get them to collect their goods.
That is how dry cleaning shops can sell your goods after a reasonable amount of time, to pay for their costs if you dont collect. The same is true in this case regardless of whether storing their goods costs money or not. The principle is they must make the goods theirs by taking them back, or declare the goods yours by failing to remove them from your posession in a reasonable period of time.

Whether an amount of time is "reasonable" or not has a lot of basis in law - see The Sale Of Goods Act where "reasonable amount of time" is a term to be decided by the court.

Also It would not be reasonable of VM to expect you to look after and preserve the integrity of their belongings if you move house. The new owner would have no responsibility to you or VM or their eqpmt. If you move house and fail to take their equipment with you it would leave you negligent, and if you moved house and took it with you it would contravene VM's terms with you, so VM cannot win because their terms are impossible for you to meet under all circumstances. And courts will not uphold a contract if its terms put one or other party in an impossible circumstance

BenMcr
07-12-2008, 09:42
Ok, what i should have said was

Virgin never give anyone consent to take or sell the modem. They may decline to collect it, and give you permission to throw it away, but that is not the same thing

opentoideas
07-12-2008, 10:34
Also, if you sell a modem on ebay described as anything else apart from 'Not able to be legally used on Virgin Media' then you could be taken to court as it would not 'conform to contract' under the Sale of Goods Act

http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

:p: thats a bit of a misrepresentation of the sale of goods act.

ask any good(bad) used car salesman - its all about how you say it:D

you could not say "will work on VM" as it seems it wont, but...

"fully working" - no problem
even "VM compatable" is still true

that VM will not connect it does not make it "inherantly faulty" - there is nothing wrong with the actual equipment

TBH i probably wouldn't bother trying to flog it as although i buy form ebay all the time i don't sell and for the £20 or so i might get for it i am just to lazy to worry about it:p:

but i am interested that the even the sugestion has brought out such feeling that i be branded a thief and get my head bitten off:shocked:

what am i missing? from what i read on this forum it seems that VM no longer are showing any interest in reclaiming these modems and dont even think they are worth the cost of a SAE to get them back:confused:

if some idiot wants to buy it, why shouldn't anyone sell it? - at least it keeps it out of a landfill if even for a short while. yes there may be doubt over the legality of ownership but there are ways that the title could legaly be transfered. so why should even the mention of selling these items bring about such a strong reaction?:confused:

Kymmy
07-12-2008, 11:33
This thread is purely about whether or not the 2nd modem would work which has been answered.

It isn't about the definition of the word "STOLEN" nor is it about who owns the modem and what rights they have regarding ownership of the modem.

As the OP has his answer I'm closing the thread