PDA

View Full Version : problems connecting my wireless

bizarro_sephirot
06-12-2008, 18:29
i apologise if this topic has been covered, but this is my first post here.

I recently signed up for the XL Virgin package and have the wireless netgear box. I didn't have a dongle when they came to set up the tv and thought i'd be able to set up the internet easily on my own once i'd got my dongle. How wrong was i. I'm not very computer literate, so i dont even know if there's anything i needed to do before i installed the virgin set-up cd. But i'm having major problems getting onto the internet.

The modem and router are situated downstairs and my pc upstairs. But for now i've had to put my pc downstairs and connect it through ethernet to get online and figure it all out.

It connects fine through wired as my LAN network picks up the connection. However, wireless, even though my dongle says it can find the virgin network, i cant connect online. The virgin wireless manager tells me it cant even find the router, even though my dongle says it can.

It's doing my head in as i've been at this for over a week. Please help me!!!!!!!!

Hom3r
06-12-2008, 18:37
:welcome:

The wireless function on most router is normally disabled from the box, you will need to connect to it via a cable to enable it.

What model do you have? I have a Netgear WGT624 v3

If you look at the paperwork that came with it it will tell you what IP address/username/password to use.

try this http://www.routerlogin.net/start.htm

Under advance is a option Wireless Settings

bizarro_sephirot
06-12-2008, 18:42
The model i have is WGR614 v9

There wasn't any paperwork with the router when the Virgin man gave it me, just the router and the installation cd.

Joxer
06-12-2008, 21:26
Uninstall the wireless manager.
With the cable connecting the pc to the router, type routerlogin.net into the address bar of a browser.
The username/password are virgin/password
Ignore the post above - the wireless settings you want are in basic settings - change the Network Name and password to your liking - click apply.
TRy to connect to your newly named network with the password you set - if it doesnt work - try changing the channel on the same page.

If you need more info - post back.

whydoIneedatech
06-12-2008, 22:04
-----------------------------------------------

First you need to fully uninstall the software from your computer, by first going to the system tray by the clock on desktop and exiting the wireless manager, then go to start > control panel >unistall programs> now unistall the wireless manager from here then exit .

Next ensure the router is on and take a pen or a paperclip and look on the back of the router and you will see a small round hole big enough for the pen to go into press the reset button in this hole for approx 10 seconds then switch off the router and modem

------------------------------------------------------------

Quick router set up for the Virgin router

connect your laptop direct to the router in port 1to 4>open internet explorer>in the address bar put http://192.168.1.1/ when the login screen appears put in the username : virgin and the passphrase : password> the Netgear router page will now appear, down the left side click on Wireless settings>now name your network, something you remember and replace the passphrase with a new one at least 8 characters long and click apply, wait for it to finish updating and close the page.

disconnect cable from laptop and router, ensure inbuilt wireless switched on, go to system tray and look for connect to a network icon ( not the virgin icon ) click it and find your network name, click connect put in your passphrase and when it says connected open a browser page and you should be connected.

------------------------------------------------------------

Joxer
06-12-2008, 22:06
Someone should write a definitive one of these and have it stickied.

whydoIneedatech
06-12-2008, 22:11
Someone should write a definitive one of these and have it stickied.
The above post is how I take a customer through set up if they call in.

Joxer
06-12-2008, 22:13
I don't bother with the cable.

whydoIneedatech
06-12-2008, 22:15
I don't bother with the cable.
I have the other 2 wireless ways to use but the above can be the easiest.

Joxer
06-12-2008, 22:16
Are we hijacking this thread?

xocemp
07-12-2008, 02:50
Helpful?
OFC you my need to skip the part about default user name and password and as mentioned in the post looks at the sticker on the bottom of the router.

Router setup (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34664363-post7.html)

whydoIneedatech
07-12-2008, 08:05
Helpful?
OFC you my need to skip the part about default user name and password and as mentioned in the post looks at the sticker on the bottom of the router.

Router setup (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34664363-post7.html)
The default password and username on the latest Virgin router are virgin and password anything else is either early kit or Netgear kit, so the link is of no use on Virgin kit.:)

xocemp
07-12-2008, 10:30
To test..
I've pin hole reset the router and had my daughter follow the instructions in the link, she read the part in the post about "User name & password should be on the bottom of the router" which just happen to be those of a standard V9 netgear, VM sent us, I believe VM sent out quite a few of these by mistake.
The whole process took her 10 minutes, she's now posting to her friends and bugging me for money via MSN on her wireless laptop.
So I fail to see how the link is of no use if a 16 year old can follow it.
If the OP follows it and posts back, then we'll know ;)

whydoIneedatech
07-12-2008, 11:27
To test..
I've pin hole reset the router and had my daughter follow the instructions in the link, she read the part in the post about "User name & password should be on the bottom of the router" which just happen to be those of a standard V9 netgear, VM sent us, I believe VM sent out quite a few of these by mistake.
The whole process took her 10 minutes, she's now posting to her friends and bugging me for money via MSN on her wireless laptop.
So I fail to see how the link is of no use if a 16 year old can follow it.
If the OP follows it and posts back, then we'll know ;)
The Netgear username and password will not work with a Virgin router as the require virgin and password to be used.

If you have received a standard Netgear router in error then you will be able to actually update it from the Netgear website unlike people who receive the Virgin router.

xocemp
07-12-2008, 12:01
No one is arguing or stating that the default user name of any router be that standard netgear, belkin, d-link etc will work with the virgin router.
Again to gain access to the virgin router as posted above and in the tutorial provided by r00t "User name & password should be on the bottom of the router"

whydoIneedatech
07-12-2008, 22:19
No one is arguing or stating that the default user name of any router be that standard netgear, belkin, d-link etc will work with the virgin router.
Again to gain access to the virgin router as posted above and in the tutorial provided by r00t "User name & password should be on the bottom of the router"
The was no argument in my post, I was merely stating that at least you can update and change the firmware in your router unlike customers who receive the standard Virgin router.;)

bizarro_sephirot
09-12-2008, 09:18
Hi there.

I want to appologise for not having replied sooner. But i had a friend help me go through everything to try and get it set up and it has come to my knowledge it's my pc thats too damn crap lol. It appears both my pc and my dongle are both fighting for internet access and thus stopping my pc from bringing up the wireless internet network icon in my desktop tray. He has tried to help my pc overcome this, but it's simply no use and looks like i'll be saving up for a new pc in the near future!

Thanks for the help you gave, guys!

Stabhappy
09-12-2008, 18:09
Sorry but that's a load of bull. If you go to 'network devices' in control panel and disable them all, plug in the wireless dongle then use windows zero config to connect to wifi there will be _no_ config errors which could result in your PC causing lack of connectivity.

moaningmags
09-12-2008, 18:15
Sounds like you have 2 wireless networking utilities fighting over the right to manage your connection. Turn off the 3rd party one and Windows will manage it without any problem.