PDA

View Full Version : I can't keep my number! - Help please

NoLUCKwithPhones
05-12-2008, 20:59
I signed up for the big 3 XL bundle, phone, broadband and V+ and all was installed yesterday. The first engineer did not turn up 2 weeks ago, so we booked again. Both times we were assured we could keep our telephone number (currently with BT).

When the engineer installed everything, he said he has put in a new phone line and given us a temporary number. We were told by the engineer to phone Virgin to ensure they were porting our number fromBT.

Having spent over an hour on the phone to Virgin, I am told now that it is not possible for me to keep my number. This is apparently due to a new server being used and I am advised that numbers must begin with 90, and as my number begins with 94, it is not possible for me to keep my number.

Can anyone tell me, does this sound right ? I want to keep my number, and,
will cancel everything if I cannot.

dave_dph
05-12-2008, 21:23
Do you use the newsgroup support?

Try posting in virginmedia.support.telephony and they will endevour to find out for you.

Mick Fisher
05-12-2008, 23:59
Sales will agree to anything when selling you the package.

However at install time, sometimes, it's quite a different story. :rolleyes:

chickendippers
06-12-2008, 00:32
Our BT number (although we paid line rental to Sky) was ported over and confirmed working before the engineer left. I agree with dave though, the newsgroup is your best option, here are the instructions: http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/newsgroups/

dave_dph
12-12-2008, 07:09
I signed up for the big 3 XL bundle, phone, broadband and V+ and all was installed yesterday. The first engineer did not turn up 2 weeks ago, so we booked again. Both times we were assured we could keep our telephone number (currently with BT).

Did the newsgroup support guys get it sorted for you? I've followed your thread but you didn't say whether it was completed.

Stephen
12-12-2008, 08:16

When the engineer installed everything, he said he has put in a new phone line and given us a temporary number. We were told by the engineer to phone Virgin to ensure they were porting our number fromBT.

Having spent over an hour on the phone to Virgin, I am told now that it is not possible for me to keep my number. This is apparently due to a new server being used and I am advised that numbers must begin with 90, and as my number begins with 94, it is not possible for me to keep my number.

Can anyone tell me, does this sound right ? I want to keep my number, and,
will cancel everything if I cannot.
That doesn't sound right at all. I deal with Business ports all the time and it doesn't matter what exchange the BT number is from you should be able to port the number to VM.

The only time you would have a problem moving your number is if you moved house and it was fed from a different VM switch than the one you were previously on.

BenMcr
12-12-2008, 09:09
No it isn't right. For each address Virgin have list of BT number ranges in the area.

All that has happened is the one for the OP is missing. This is sorted by the 'Central Housefile Admin' team.

All that needs to happen is a Customer Services agent phone the admin team and ask them to add the 94 range to the address. Should be done in about 2 minutes.

The number can then be booked on

hansi
12-12-2008, 19:15
I have a similar problem though maybe not so critical. When I changed from BT to Virgin, they got a temporary number first and then said that my BT number would be ported over which it was. However, when I got the next edition of the Phone Book, both the temporary number and my correct number were listed. When I rang the temporary number, it was unobtainable, so I rang Virgin who told me to ring B, who told me to ring Virgin etc, and so on, and then Virgin said they would sort it out. However, when the next edition came out, the temporary number was still there, and it wasn't easy trying to explain to an Indian call centre! I have emailed them today with a complaint. See if that works.

smooth-criminal
13-12-2008, 22:35
Why does it matter if the temp number is listed? It doesn't work anyway?

m419
13-12-2008, 23:51
I'd rather use a new phone number rather than go through that hassle.

I've managed to port a Telewest (Cable London) number to BT and then port it back without any hassle.

It looks as if its on the NTL side. As i rightly remember, NTL used to charge £20 to port your number from BT to NTL, shouldn't have been the other way round????

Buzzby
28-12-2008, 18:14
Porting out an exchange number from one company to another is quite painless. The original setup is complex but now most of the exchange data is in place it is short & sweet.
There is one potential problem with ported numbers. Should the Original exchange from which the No is ported has a catastrophic failure all calls TO the ported No will fail. Outgoing calls will be ok.
All ported calls are first routed to its original exchange which hosts the number range in which it lies. It is then bounced back into the network as not mine with an identifier prefix to route it to the new destination exchange. Hence an original exchange fault can cause such faults. However exchanges are pretty reliable and the only troubles I saw were caused by mains power faults. :D

Motorman
18-01-2009, 23:27
Was the number originally a cable number or originally a BT number?

it makes a big difference in the way the ohine company deals with the number porting

If its a BT number then its a straightforward number port which they should be able to do easily.
If the number originated from cable then they MUST process it as a RETURN TO DONOR number port.
just mention this when you call customer services to ask them to action the request (again).
Its true if its not available then it can be added by Central HouseFiles
if you ask them nicely!