PDA

View Full Version : Virgin cant upgrade my modem? 2mb > 10mb

Foo Fighter
05-12-2008, 17:57
I thought i'd take up the christmas offer free 10mb for 1 month cant be bad but what a job its turned in to

The 256 modem wont update its config file, it just stays at 2mb any ideas why? spent around a hour in total trying to get this and my 30 days are ticking away before i have to cancel.I got the 256 as soon as it was out and then they cocked up and signed me up twice sending me 2 modems before canceling the unused account. The bloke even checked it was the right mac for the modem.

Gotta wait for a few days he said but i doubt anyone will work weekends so looking like its next week :(

Is there anything i can do to get the modem to take the new config, never had any trouble with signal i dont think heres the status page.

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 5
Downstream Frequency : 330750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : 9.4 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 37.3 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 3
Upstream Frequency : 42800000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QAM16
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 32.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Cable Modem Operation Configuration
Network Access : Allowed
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 2048000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 200000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

Milambar
05-12-2008, 19:16
They had exactly the same problem when I took advantage of the offer, except I was lucky to get someone who a) cared, and b) knew their job well (possibly 2nd line I think).

Basically he had me disconnect my router, and connect my PC directly to the modem, then work through activation.virginmedia.com..

Once that was done, the config file went straight through without any problems. He even explained what the problem was, but, I wasn't listening too closely, I was too happy to have 10MB.

Kymmy
05-12-2008, 19:18
The newsgroups are normally a better way of getting a tech support agent who knows what they're doing...

Foo Fighter
05-12-2008, 22:41
Cheers posted up the newsgroups :)

Hopefully its right, i assume they pull the account details from your ip?

homealone
05-12-2008, 22:47
Cheers posted up the newsgroups :)

Hopefully its right, i assume they pull the account details from your ip?

I think they need you to tell them your user name, i.e. email address if ex NTL, or 'alias' if ex Telewest/Blueyonder ???

xocemp
05-12-2008, 22:50
They can get your details via your IP Foo Fighter.
Newsgroups stop support at 22:00 so you won't get a reply tonight and it may take a little time tomorrow. If you read through the groups you'll see support have to contend with many attention seeking halfwits.
You will get reply though, they are most helpful :)