PDA

View Full Version : virgin Wireless Manager stops me connecting wirelessly outside my home

Petet
02-12-2008, 16:29
Since having Virgin Broadband and taking the free wireless router from them I cannot use my laptop to connect wirelessly at work our while out on the road. I have to uninstall the Virgin Wireless manager every time. Pain in the a*** and the help desk is no use. Any suggestions would be welcome

Raistlin
02-12-2008, 16:35
Uninstall Virgin Wireless Manager.

Use Windows to manage all wireless connections including that of the router that Virgin gave you.

whydoIneedatech
02-12-2008, 17:35
Do this instead as it will give you control back

First you need to fully uninstall the software from your computer, by first going to the system tray by the clock on desktop and exiting the wireless manager, then go to start > control panel >unistall programs> now unistall the wireless manager from here then exit .
Next ensure the router is on and take a pen or a paperclip and look on the back of the router and you will see a small round hole big enough for the pen to go into press the reset button in this hole for approx 10 seconds then switch off the router and modem
------------------------------------------------------------
Quick router set up for the Virgin router

connect your laptop direct to the router in port 1to 4>open internet explorer>in the address bar put http://192.168.1.1/ when the login screen appears put in the username : virgin and the passphrase : password> the Netgear router page will now appear, down the left side click on Wireless settings>now name your network, something you remember and replace the passphrase with a new one at least 8 characters long and click apply, wait for it to finish updating and close the page.
disconnect cable from laptop and router, ensure inbuilt wireless switched on, go to system tray and look for connect to a network icon ( not the virgin icon ) click it and find your network name, click connect put in your passphrase and when it says connected open a browser page and you should be connected.