PDA

View Full Version : Limited or No Connectivity

erener
02-12-2008, 13:14
Hi, I have a PC running XP SP3, and last night when I switched it on, I got a 'limited or no connectivity' message on my LAN and could not connect to the internet. So did the usual, powered off the modem, Rebooted PC, same problem existed. I do not havea router or a Wireless Connection unstalled.
So I phoned Virgin Media and they went through lots of checks, the ethernet, power, sync and ready lights were all green and steady but I could not acquire an IP address, even when I tried 'repair' . I was eventually told that the problem was my PC and not the modem so I that was that!
Then I tried to connect the modem with my ethernet cable to my laptop, which runs XP SP2 and I got the same problem. I also tried connecting the modem to both the PC and the laptop with a different Ethernet Cable in case this was an issue. Still have the problem.
SO I phoned VM again and they are sending a technician around but not until Saturday.
Am I right in thinking that the problem appears to be with the modem since the error is occurring on both my laptop and my PC? Could there be a problem with the Ethernet port of the modem even though the ethernet light on the modem is green and steady.
I would be grateful for any advice. (Currently typing this on a work PC as it is my only Internet access! lol)

Pete

zing_deleted
02-12-2008, 13:16
did you reboot the modem when you moved it to a different machine? if you did then it does point t a vm fault

erener
02-12-2008, 13:53
Yes I rebooted it, at least 3 times just to be sure!!

Tech_Boy
02-12-2008, 14:01
It could be the ethernet port (on the modem), or possibly both ethernet cables could be faulty.

v0id
02-12-2008, 16:23
There isn't a "cable" or "online" led on the modem flashing is there?

erener
02-12-2008, 16:34
No, All of the lights are green and steady for 'Power', 'Ethernet', 'Sync' and 'Ready' on the modem

whydoIneedatech
02-12-2008, 16:37
More than likely a SNR issue on the uBR causing the issues as described.

Jonathan90
02-12-2008, 16:37
I had theses before its virgin doing something after they finished i got a new ip address wait a few hours it will return.

erener
02-12-2008, 16:39
What does an SNR issue on the uBR mean?

whydoIneedatech
02-12-2008, 16:42
What does an SNR issue on the uBR mean?
You may have a low Signal to Noise Ratio on the local exchange, it is like trying to listen to your favourite radio station but you can not tune in properly and you lose the signal and it sounds garbled.

Wisnaeme
02-12-2008, 16:46
Edinburgh's been down for about 16 hours. It came up seconds ago, so I can leave my neighbours open Wifi in peace! :-)

erener
02-12-2008, 21:17
when i do an ipconfig my ip address and default gateway appear as 169.254.199.6 . Does this mean anything ?

Joxer
03-12-2008, 10:51
If your ip address begins 169.254 then it means your pc tried to get an ip address usimg DHCP, failed and used zeroconf instead.

What happens if you try:

ipconfig /renew?

Thundercloud
04-12-2008, 09:56
St. Albans Virgin user here (Not by choice!)

Yeah mine's been intermittently down over the last four days. Any particular way to tell what the problem is? My landlady's got an Apple Airport modem, and I haven't the foggiest on how to access it, which is strange as i'm usually rather good with this kind of stuff :D