PDA

View Full Version : Unlimited* mobile internet

Gary L
02-12-2008, 00:13
Fair Use Policy – Unlimited Mobile Internet:

subject to a fair use allowance of 25MB per day.

Unlimited use is within the UK and is for your personal, non-commercial use only.

It doesn’t include

making internet phone or video calls,

peer to peer file sharing,

using your phone as a modem

So what is unlimited about it?

http://virginmobilepeople.com/30p/

zing_deleted
02-12-2008, 00:14
lol well that is a good question

Gary L
02-12-2008, 00:19
lol well that is a good question

It is a good question.
the word unlimited does not belong anywhere in the advertising of that product at all. I can't think of a single thing where they can say but it is unlimited

zing_deleted
02-12-2008, 00:20
I am not disagreeing :)

Gary L
02-12-2008, 00:38
If I had the money I'd put a stop to the misleading use of the term unlimited used to sell something. you sell it for what it is, but don't use the word to mislead people to believe it's actually better than what it actually is.

if you go over the limit you get charged at the usual tariff prices. there is nothing unlimited about it at all. :mad:

BenMcr
02-12-2008, 00:42
No different than T-mobile. http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/services/mobile-internet/on-your-phone/

Lots of Unlimited* there too

---------- Post added at 23:42 ---------- Previous post was at 23:40 ----------

And Vodafone http://online.vodafone.co.uk/dispatch/Portal/appmanager/vodafone/wrp?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=template10&pageID=MI_0004

Tezcatlipoca
02-12-2008, 00:44
No different than T-mobile. http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/services/mobile-internet/on-your-phone/

Lots of Unlimited* there too

---------- Post added at 23:42 ---------- Previous post was at 23:40 ----------

And Vodafone http://online.vodafone.co.uk/dispatch/Portal/appmanager/vodafone/wrp?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=template10&pageID=MI_0004

Yup. I've got TM's basic monthly Web 'n' Walk. 1GB per month, no using it as a modem, no VoIP, etc. But hey, it's "Unlimited*" ;) :rolleyes:

BenMcr
02-12-2008, 00:48
P.S I thought bold text was for Mod posts ;)

Gary L
02-12-2008, 00:50

I think that everytime I use them :)

bopdude
02-12-2008, 00:52

Only to show it's a mod edit or decision :tu:

caph
08-12-2008, 13:12
The worst bit is that if you go over 25MByte you get charged at £2 per MByte!!! Some people are going to get really stung by this probably without realising it because of the "unlimited" advertising.

Nasty stuff.

Gary L
08-12-2008, 13:19
The worst bit is that if you go over 25MByte you get charged at £2 per MByte!!! Some people are going to get really stung by this probably without realising it because of the "unlimited" advertising.

Nasty stuff.

And then you say how can I go over if there's no limit as it's Unlimited. they say it's in the small print.
the judge throws it out and it proves once and for all that unlimited isn't unlimited.
:)

chamoan
08-12-2008, 13:22
Now that's the funniest "unlimited" package I ever did see. :D

Turkey Machine
08-12-2008, 13:51
That's clearly a blatant case of misadvertising, and it should be stopped. Misleading customers is one thing, lying is another.

Gary L
08-12-2008, 14:06
That's clearly a blatant case of misadvertising, and it should be stopped. Misleading customers is one thing, lying is another.

The way it works is they know that a certain amount of people will see it for what it is and won't see it as unlimited. they don't want them people. they want the ones who purchase it on the basis of it being sold as unlimited.

there is small print to say that it's not unlimited. they put that there themselves because they know it's not unlimited.

if they get complaints they just get referred to the small print. there is nobody to complain to about it being called unlimited when it's not.

if it was a man on the markrt falsely selling it as unlimited he would be shutdown. but becuse it's a company they can keep on taking the money.

they can say anything they like about a product. as long as they use a * next to the claim and small print explaining why it's not what they have claimed it to be, have or do.

webcrawler2050
08-12-2008, 14:08
Unlimited is a con, it really is! Ofcom need to crack down on this.. its a typical way of over selling your services. The same goes for web hosting.

Stuart
08-12-2008, 14:10
Only to show it's a mod edit or decision :tu:

And only if posted by a Mod..

Turkey Machine
08-12-2008, 14:14
The way it works is they know that a certain amount of people will see it for what it is and won't see it as unlimited. they don't want them people. they want the ones who purchase it on the basis of it being sold as unlimited.
A good business practice, I can't argue with it, however:
there is small print to say that it's not unlimited. they put that there themselves because they know it's not unlimited.
The fact they have to rely on small print explicitly stating it's not unlimited is blatant misuse of the word, and Ofcom should be clamping down on it, but sadly they seem to be siding with ISPs and mobile phone providers on this. :(
if they get complaints they just get referred to the small print. there is nobody to complain to about it being called unlimited when it's not.
Again, it shouldn't be allowed, and Ofcom should be stopping this happening.
if it was a man on the markrt falsely selling it as unlimited he would be shutdown. but becuse it's a company they can keep on taking the money.
The rules should never be different for a conglomorate as large as Virgin compared to the market man. Just because they have more money to burn doesn't mean they should get away with it.
they can say anything they like about a product. as long as they use a * next to the claim and small print explaining why it's not what they have claimed it to be, have or do.
See my point above. They should never have to rely on small print. I hate having to squint at the screen / letter / roadside ad to read the T+Cs. Advertising is advertising, but there are rules and they should be enforced.

Gary L
08-12-2008, 14:17
Unlimited is a con, it really is! Ofcom need to crack down on this.. its a typical way of over selling your services. The same goes for web hosting.

GET UNLIMITED* WEB ACCESS FOR 30P A DAY FROM VIRGIN MOBILE!

* No it doesn't mean how it reads. we will only let you have 25MB a day.

and we just know that when they do get questioned about it, they will bring in the sympathy thing about a Fair Use Policy, and how if everyone was to use it as much as they wanted then it wouldn't be fair on everyone else. it will be everyone elses fault and not their own.

and we as consumers believe that, and do blame each other.

BenMcr
08-12-2008, 14:30
Who are you having a go at Gary? As was pointed out earlier in the thread, the Unlimited* thing isn't just Virgin

webcrawler2050
08-12-2008, 14:34
Its everywhere!

Hosting, servers, internet, phones, blah blah blah - it should be stoped, its just no fair!

Gary L
08-12-2008, 14:38
Who are you having a go at Gary? As was pointed out earlier in the thread, the Unlimited* thing isn't just Virgin

I'm having a go at Virgin. I know it isn't just Virgin, but it's Virgin I'm having a go at :)

chickendippers
08-12-2008, 16:17
Its everywhere!

Hosting, servers
Unfortunately it's us as consumers that encourage companies to offer "unlimited" services. Customers always want more for their money, so you do eventually reach a point where companies start making ridiculous claims.

Case in point, there's a wireless network near me called "20 meg baby", clearly showing off their fast connection as if it's a sign of prestige....when I'm sure they don't actually need it half the time; common activities such as browsing, iPlayer, VoIP etc don't need much more than 2Mb bandwidth.

None of my customers go anywhere near their webspace/data transfer allocations, but I know we've lost custom to competitors who offer "unlimited caveat" packages.

Hugh
08-12-2008, 16:18
I'm having a go at Virgin. I know it isn't just Virgin, but it's Virgin I'm having a go at :)
Out of character for you......;)

confucious
15-12-2008, 12:17
"Unlimited" in terms of mobile internet originally meant you were not limited to certain web sites (eg just WAP sites) and is now seriously outdated.

BUT if Virgin are charging iff you go over 25Mb in one day that is far more restrictive than T-Mobile who's 1Gb limit on W'n'W Standard is a FUP that you will not be charged for if you go over. If you go over the limit with T 2 months on the trot they reserve the right to restrict your downloads and will suggerst you go up to one of their other plans (I'm on W'n'W Plus which has a 3Gb limit but also allows HSDPA which W'n'W Std doesn't)

T- Mobile have one of the fairest FUPs out. I also have a 3 data plan with a 5Gb limit but 3 just stop you downl;oading if you reach the limit in a month.

Voda charge people (sometimes a LOT of money) if you go over.

O2 aren't bad.

Orange don't have any data plans worth talking about.

Virgin's would be better if it was 750Mb in a month as most people would struggle to reach that on a phone - although most people will find 25Mb a day plenty it is possible to exceed that and to charge when people go over rather than just warn or restrict people could end up with some people getting nasty surprises.

Having said all that it is a step in the right direction and good news :)

:xmas: