PDA

View Full Version : Advice required on wiring telephone box

Rodders289
01-12-2008, 21:11
Hi a few weeks back I was having problems with my phone which would only ring once. It had been storms here and I am sure this was the problem. An engineer came out and said that the line to the main telephone box was fine and a phone worked in it, the problem seemed to be with my extention boxes. I was at my work so didnt see what he did. All my extentions are dead. I have opened up my main box and this is a photo of it

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t133/Rodders_album/Telephonebox.jpg

There are 3 cables in it, the middle one is the one connected to the A&B terminals so I think this is the main cable, the cable on the right is not connected to anything but you can see that the 3 cables (green and white, orange and white and blue and white) have marks on them as if they have been in connectors, the cable on the left has its orange and white and white and orange cables connected to the matching cables on the main one with connectors.

My main issue is there are no cables in any of the connectors on the front of the box, should anything be in these connectors, do you think the engineer has removed anything to make this box work?

Any help with the wiring would be much appreciated

Rodders

sprattgraham
01-12-2008, 21:32
The three wires green and white, orange and white and blue and white should be connected to the IDC blocks. I would guess the tech removed because there was an issue and his not paid to fix internal wiring.

This website is useful:
http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html

Do you have more than one phone line because that’s what it looks like from that picture?

Rodders289
01-12-2008, 22:06
Thanks for that, I was also thinking about those 3 wires but the thing that put me off is that I do not see anywhere that says a green wire should should be used. From what I gather it should be blue and white, white and blue and orange and white. If I can use the green what number does it go into in the IDC block.

You reminded me that I do have a second line which was installed a number of years ago for a cable modem. This has been unused now for years. What cable do you think is the extra one? Is it the one on the left that is connected to the main cable, is this the equivelent of taking a spur as in electrical work?

sprattgraham
01-12-2008, 23:14
I would guess the two orange wires are the second line as they seem to come in then back out again, if you plug a phone into that socket do you get a dial tone?

I suggest you check your phone extension and see what wires are connected 2, 3, 4, and 5.

chickendippers
02-12-2008, 00:04
Normally the orange and white wires are the bell line, these are outdated and no longer required. In theory all you need to do is connect the blue and green wires...however it all depends on your internal wiring.

Best thing to do would be to buy yourself a "Krone tool" (to re-attach the extension wires) set aside a day and figure out the telephone wiring situation in your house.

Jonnymeg
02-12-2008, 16:50
There is no way to tell from your pic what should go where as some techs do not use the standard colour coding. It could be one of many combinations.

on in an hour!
02-12-2008, 20:24
There is no way to tell from your pic what should go where as some techs do not use the standard colour coding. It could be one of many combinations.

as said earlier it looks like the orange pair (or/wh wh/or) are going off to serve your now defunct second line.as theres then no orange wire to use for the ringer it looks like theyve used the green/white instead.
irrespective of all this its obvious that the tech has left these other wires disconnected as they were causing the original fault you reported.your best bet is to buy new 'hand-held' phones,you can get a 3/4 handset jobby for £50/60 as oppose to paying £99 to have the wiring renewed.(you only need the main baseset plugged into a phone socket,the others only need an electrical point)
it sounds pointless to be reconnecting wiring thats already been deemed defunct ;)

cablecrazy
02-12-2008, 21:38
Hi a few weeks back I was having problems with my phone which would only ring once. It had been storms here and I am sure this was the problem. An engineer came out and said that the line to the main telephone box was fine and a phone worked in it, the problem seemed to be with my extention boxes. I was at my work so didnt see what he did. All my extentions are dead. I have opened up my main box and this is a photo of it

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t133/Rodders_album/Telephonebox.jpg

There are 3 cables in it, the middle one is the one connected to the A&B terminals so I think this is the main cable, the cable on the right is not connected to anything but you can see that the 3 cables (green and white, orange and white and blue and white) have marks on them as if they have been in connectors, the cable on the left has its orange and white and white and orange cables connected to the matching cables on the main one with connectors.

My main issue is there are no cables in any of the connectors on the front of the box, should anything be in these connectors, do you think the engineer has removed anything to make this box work?

Any help with the wiring would be much appreciated

Rodders

Good grief! the dirt is DISGRACEFUL, I would suggest you hoover dear. :)

on in an hour!
02-12-2008, 21:44
good grief! The dirt is disgraceful, i would suggest you hoover dear. :)

:d :d :d

Jonnymeg
03-12-2008, 15:32
Good grief! the dirt is DISGRACEFUL, I would suggest you hoover dear. :)

I had to restrain myself.

cablecrazy
03-12-2008, 16:10
I had to restrain myself.

What do you mean?

Jonnymeg
03-12-2008, 17:03
What do you mean?

I mean i had to restrain myself for making the same comment as you.

cablecrazy
03-12-2008, 17:25
I mean i had to restrain myself for making the same comment as you.

Ah, ok :D