PDA

View Full Version : My upload speed is.. not working??

Novusordo
29-11-2008, 20:23
hi all, I have the virgin 2MBps broadband service connected directly to my PC without anything in between like firewalls, ect!

The problem is that I can't seem to upload anything. Uploading images to places like photobucket and imageshack never even get started, also I cant upload to my (non-virgin) webspace provider, either!

This has been going on for a week now so it isn't passing anytime soon! please someone advise me...

« SpeedGuide.net TCP Analyzer Results »
Tested on: 11.29.2008 15:22
IP address: 86.10.xx.xxx

TCP options string: 020405b40103030101010402
MSS: 1460
MTU: 1500
TCP Window: 128480 (multiple of MSS)
RWIN Scaling: 1 bits (2^1=2)
Unscaled RWIN : 64240
Recommended RWINs: 64240, 128480, 256960, 513920, 1027840
BDP limit (200ms): 5139kbps (642KBytes/s)
BDP limit (500ms): 2056kbps (257KBytes/s)
MTU Discovery: ON
TTL: 48
Timestamps: OFF
SACKs: ON
IP ToS: 00000000 (0)

My modem signal levels seem to be okay but then again I only know whats a normal range for only 1 or two of them, lol. malware/virus ain't the issue since I am a fanatic when it comes to optimizing my PC. also I'm in nottingham. help plz/

Joxer
29-11-2008, 20:40
Have you tried running any sped tests such as speedtest.net that measure up as well as down?
Your upload is obviously working to a certain extent as you can view pages and post here.

What is you are using to do the uploading?

Novusordo
29-11-2008, 21:13
yeah i tried a few speed tests and they always test the download speed which is good at around 997Kbps but when it comes to the uplaod test it takes aaaages and 99% of the time it times out altogether.

I'm using the sites page to upload images/files and also cuteFPT and another FTP program caled imageshacker. none are uplaoding. I cant send crap over MSN messenger either!!!!!!!

Joxer
29-11-2008, 21:25
Ok try running a tracert to the site you are uploading to the site you are uploading to.

tracert imageshack.us

Novusordo
29-11-2008, 21:31
the tracert is fine, no packet loss.

ok that speedtest.net eventually tested my upload and it came out at 5-6Kbps..... just a quarter of what it needs to be!

browsing gets pretty slow and hotmail is especially affected.
cheers.

chickendippers
29-11-2008, 21:31
Could be an issue with your computer. Try using a different one.

Novusordo
29-11-2008, 21:37
Could be an issue with your computer. Try using a different one.

well it's worked fine for years and years!!

smooth-criminal
29-11-2008, 21:51
Have you called support?

Novusordo
29-11-2008, 21:54
i kinda do that as a last resort and now it seems to be the only option left...

Novusordo
01-12-2008, 18:25
okay the guy said something is blocking the signal he's sending to my modem and blamed it outright on a virus.

********!

i'm a PC technition myself and have not had a virus or nasty piece of malware for 5 solid years of PC usage.

Are they capping my upload speed on purpose maybe??

broadbandbug
01-12-2008, 18:57
okay the guy said something is blocking the signal he's sending to my modem and blamed it outright on a virus.

********!

i'm a PC technition myself and have not had a virus or nasty piece of malware for 5 solid years of PC usage.

Are they capping my upload speed on purpose maybe??

More likely to be an upstream noise issue.. New modem probably won't make any difference.. They will end up with a load of other people reporting the same problem.. tie it to a particular node and hey presto someone will go out and fix it. annoying but true.

Novusordo
01-12-2008, 19:52
i've been without the need for firewalls/AV and anti-malware programs for years now but decided I must completely exhaust the possibility of a virus/malware and so proceeded to install and run Nod32, ad-aware and a-squared anti malware which all reported a 100% clean system.

it is definately a problem on their end. do you reckon the dude on the phone new it was his problem and not mine?

And bug, what exactly do you mean by your post. sounds intriguing...

Hugh
01-12-2008, 19:57
Excuse me for asking, but you're a PC Technician and you've never had the need for firewalls or Anti-Virus?

Can I ask how you keep the nasties out?

Stabhappy
01-12-2008, 22:48
I think he means on his own personal machine, which is easy to keep free of nasties by simply keeping the system up to date and having a little internet know how :)

Novusordo
02-12-2008, 02:14
Excuse me for asking, but you're a PC Technician and you've never had the need for firewalls or Anti-Virus?

Can I ask how you keep the nasties out?

Yeah how stabhappy said.
i think the use of firewalls is completely unnecessary. they are a dogmatic practice with no purpose to advanced users who know to keep their machines clean.

guys so what do you think the problem is with my connection? I need some stuff to say to them when I ring them next. Is it a node problem as one of you mentioned? Please go into detail...

whydoIneedatech
02-12-2008, 07:54
Yeah how stabhappy said.
i think the use of firewalls is completely unnecessary. they are a dogmatic practice with no purpose to advanced users who know to keep their machines clean.

guys so what do you think the problem is with my connection? I need some stuff to say to them when I ring them next. Is it a node problem as one of you mentioned? Please go into detail...
Are you behind a router then as a physical firewall then, as no firewall will mean trouble regardless of how advanced a user you may be.

chickendippers
02-12-2008, 09:17
well it's worked fine for years and years!!That doesn't mean it hasn't broken now. About two years ago my computer refused to upload (FTP and HTTP), the only fix was to reinstall Windows.

Joxer
03-12-2008, 11:24

Well either he has no idea what he's doing or just trying to fob you off, I fear both.

Do you just have a single PC or do you have a network? If you are on a network can you ftp to another machine on the network? Or you could try running a http server and see if it accessible locally and over the internet (I'm not sure how easy this is on windows, but is trivial under KDE).

broadbandbug
03-12-2008, 11:37
Well either he has no idea what he's doing or just trying to fob you off, I fear both.

Do you just have a single PC or do you have a network? If you are on a network can you ftp to another machine on the network? Or you could try running a http server and see if it accessible locally and over the internet (I'm not sure how easy this is on windows, but is trivial under KDE).

It could definately be a node noise problem.. You would need to get through to second line though.. If you start spouting about upstream SNR to first line they will probably not have a clue.

Joxer
03-12-2008, 13:09
I find it hard to think of an upstream SNR issue that would completely stop uploading without adversly affecting browsing to a large extent and that does not produce any packet loss, although I do admit it is possible, it seems unlikely, but then again, being first line support I probably don't have a clue.

Brettiex
03-12-2008, 14:37
Given that your a PC technician you already have some of the bases covered by having some internet knowhow, however as a PC technician myselft I think your honestly asking for trouble if your not using any firewall or av / malware protection.

Some routers employ traffic management which may specifically limit uploading and / or downloading but you say your connected direct so anything of this nature shouldn't be issue. Also wirelesss conections can be a cause for slowdowns.

Second point to note is that whilst you are on 2MB you are only confirming a download of approx. 1MB. Even with IP overhead taken into account your download should be a lot closer to 2MB than it is.

Check all the obvious, connection etc. etc. and to rule out your software setup by useing a linux Live CD and do a speed check to see if your speeds differ. If you still experience slow uploads using a Live CD then this issues either has to be your hardware or a VM issue. If you have access to another computer then it would be worth checking.

Happy checking, and never take anything for granted regardless of how internet savvy you may be. There are infections that can cause all kinds of problems yet can be very difficult to identify and remove. Admitedly if you only problem is bandwidth it isn't so likely but you always have to be open to the possibility.

darkbeing
04-12-2008, 22:33

hang on let me get this straight - are you saying that you have a modem and you plug your ethernet cable into it without a hardware firewall/router inbetween? the computer and the modem?
so I have computer.......cat5 cable .....firewall/router....cat5....modem
and you have computer.....wireless or cat5 ..... modem
with no firewall blocking inbound traffic?

so how do you stop botnets from totally ripping you on your ports?
how do you keep out unwanted traffic ?
I'd say it was impossible unless you got something filtering the inbound traffic

I mean I dont run firewall programs on the computers but thats coz I got some decent stuff between the internet and the computers

I mean youre overlooking the possibility that it is a virus. Infact with no automated security in place I would begin troubleshooting there, and fire at the technician later

Turkey Machine
05-12-2008, 20:37
hang on let me get this straight - are you saying that you have a modem and you plug your ethernet cable into it without a hardware firewall/router inbetween? the computer and the modem?
so I have computer.......cat5 cable .....firewall/router....cat5....modem
and you have computer.....wireless or cat5 ..... modem
with no firewall blocking inbound traffic?

so how do you stop botnets from totally ripping you on your ports?
how do you keep out unwanted traffic ?
I'd say it was impossible unless you got something filtering the inbound traffic

I mean I dont run firewall programs on the computers but thats coz I got some decent stuff between the internet and the computers

I mean youre overlooking the possibility that it is a virus. Infact with no automated security in place I would begin troubleshooting there, and fire at the technician later

I run Windows XP SP2's firewall with no exceptions. Is that suitable? If not, prove it. ;)

darkbeing
06-12-2008, 01:10
I run Windows XP SP2's firewall with no exceptions. Is that suitable? If not, prove it.
I fix'd it for you !
http://paulstamatiou.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/outpost_firewall_review1.jpg

Turkey Machine
06-12-2008, 17:33
Humourous as that is, an article proving it would be more useful. ;)

CrowmanUK
07-12-2008, 12:49
Windows firewall is ok at at stopping stuff coming in but it leaks out like a collander, just using the windows firewall try installing some software, more than likely it'll install fine, no messages, try using another firewall, I use sygate pro on xp machines, you'll get a few messages about the installer sending out data, more than likely it'll tell you about this a few times during installation depending on what you're installing.
If you've got the option of using a different firewall i'd turn off the windows one and use a third party firewall.

http://netsecurity.about.com/od/firewalls/a/aa081804b.htm
That tells you a bit about it, but go to this next site and run the shields up test, might tell you a bit more about how safe you really are

http://www.grc.com/intro.htm

Try the leaktest too which is made more for outbound traffic

Joxer
07-12-2008, 20:20
Not trying to big up windows firewall at all, but why would you want to block outgoing connections? That is only useful if you have any malware installed, better not to install the malware than install it and then block it, surely.

I run a services based firewall, blocking almost all incoming connections, to be honest I just use the default settings and never change them unless I need to connect to my pc remotely from somewhere else (used to need to do this a lot, not anymore) and no anti-virus or anti-spyware, but then again I don't have Windows either.

But what this has to do with uploads I will never know - oh hang on the firewall might be blocking it! There is a connection!

CrowmanUK
07-12-2008, 20:39
Well if you did get infected then it could talk straight out through the windows firewall, if you've got sygate running you'll get a popup asking if "blah blah blah" can have access to the internet, obviously nobody installs malware purposely but if you just click click while installing stuff then crap could get on without you noticing. Not everyone is net/pc savvy and wouldnt think twice about opening an email attachment and by then its too late.

Back to topic, a mate of mine had problems with no upload on his pc too, he's with VM and he was going to get in touch tech support to find out what was going on, once I get in touch with him and find out what happened I'll update you.

Novusordo
08-12-2008, 14:50
yea crowman that would be interesting to know, keep me updated!

hey guys I've used Nod32 with the deepest and most thorough scan settings possible with no viruses or malware found. I've even ran AV scanners and malware scanner from windows ultimate boot cd with ZERO threats found.

I believe my machine is pristine clean yet this upstream speed issue is still here after 3 weeks! VM said they are fixing it when I phoned them for a second time the other week. lol.

CrowmanUK
08-12-2008, 16:28
Well if they say they are fixing it they must know what the problem is so its not your pc thats at fault. Thats how i'd read that anyway, no word from my mate yet.

CrowmanUK
09-12-2008, 22:58
Update, my mate got in touch with VM and after going through 2 or 3 reps got through to a guy who he said sounded Scottish who confirmed there was a problem that VM would have to fix. I did ask him what it was but he was a bit vague about it.

CrowmanUK
11-12-2008, 15:36
Update, whatever it was its fixed, he's not having any more problems with upload now.

xocemp
11-12-2008, 15:45
Great to hear it was fixed eventually, not so great to hear your mate had to go through 2 or 3 reps to do so.

Strange, your post count didn't go up.

09-12-2008, 22:58 #31
CrowmanUK
cf.addict

Today, 15:36 #32
CrowmanUK
cf.addict

Novusordo
21-12-2008, 19:05
still getting fogged off by these *******s. makes you sick dosn't it.