PDA

View Full Version : mobile internet

nixey
29-11-2008, 20:05
I want to know the best and cheapest way to connect my laptop to the internet using my mobile phone as the modem.

I have found the virgin media GPRS WAP settings and can connect OK (it's a little slow though, but it is only going to be needed occasionally, holidays etc).

My phone is an Orange contract phone and I am worried about running up a big phone bill.

I get 700 X network minutes and unlimited landline calls, I have heard somewhere that there are 'Normal' phone numbers available so users like me can take advantage of the inclusive minutes in our phone packages.

I don't want to go to the expense of buying an internet dongle at £15 a month (on Orange contract).

Any advice greatly appreciated.

BenMcr
29-11-2008, 20:16
Apologies for saying this, but if you want to connect using an Orange phone, then you need to speak to Orange.

You can't use Virgin Media settings on an Orange phone

---------- Post added at 20:16 ---------- Previous post was at 20:15 ----------

Also you can't dial a 'normal' phone number to access the internet. mobile internet doesn't work that way

nixey
29-11-2008, 20:38
Apologies for saying this, but if you want to connect using an Orange phone, then you need to speak to Orange.

You can't use Virgin Media settings on an Orange phone

---------- Post added at 20:16 ---------- Previous post was at 20:15 ----------

Also you can't dial a 'normal' phone number to access the internet. mobile internet doesn't work that way

Sorry I already have a Virgin broadband connection, that's why I am trying to connect to that ISP.

I can definitely connect. Maybe I am still connecting through Orange WAP.

Joxer
29-11-2008, 21:04
Will be Orange WAP, it is possible the esttings are the same - I have used Orange to connect and if I recall the settings where fairly generic - username was 'username' or something like that. Data can be horribly expensive on a pay as go basis but Orange did offer decent data packages, though this was some time ago.

One other point is if you are using 3G it has a terrible habit of dropping the connection if the 3G signal is poor and it decides to switch to 2g or back again - if the 3G signal is poor turn it off.

I found the 3G very good for just browsing/checking email and surprisingly fast.

Tech_Boy
29-11-2008, 22:05
if you have a VM based cable/adsl connection, wouldn't this option be cheaper?
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/93/33640829-virgin-cuts-mobile-broadband-to-fiver.html

brimurray
29-11-2008, 23:52
On Orange pay monthly tariff you can get an add on data bundle with unlimited evening & weekend use for £5. Daytime use is pretty expensive with a 250 Mb bundle costing £7.50 this will not last very long. Orange PAYG you can get a 5 day unlimited bundle for £5 or 1 day unlimited for £1.

GPRS (2G) give a download of about 100 KB and 3G around 1MB.

watzizname
30-11-2008, 09:07
On Orange pay monthly tariff you can get an add on data bundle with unlimited evening & weekend use for £5. Daytime use is pretty expensive with a 250 Mb bundle costing £7.50 this will not last very long. Orange PAYG you can get a 5 day unlimited bundle for £5 or 1 day unlimited for £1.

GPRS (2G) give a download of about 100 KB and 3G around 1MB.

Yeah, Orange Extras are about as good as it gets for PAYG, but you probably won't be able to download anything of any real size, before you have to re-connect your device.

You could always contact Orange, and ask them to send you the unlock code, it should be free, but they may make a small charge.
Its been a few years since i've had a device locked to any particular network, but they used to do it..

Noggo
30-11-2008, 09:29
http://www.thecloud.net/for-you
basically nearly every McD's has a wifi hotspot + loads of other places just search for the nearest place to where you're going on holiday and drive there.