PDA

View Full Version : Cable Modem + STB

PeteSpringfield
28-11-2008, 23:58
Hi All,

After a couple of years of procrastination (really), I've bitten the bullet and requested a cable modem in order to take advantage of the bandwidth that I'm paying for with the XL package.

To be scrupulously fair, customer services were very helpful BUT I'm not convinced that they understood that I'm having a Cable Modem to be sat side by side with one of my two Samsung STBs (one upstairs, one down).

I'd be relieved to hear from anyone with a similar installation or who has had a similar "upgrade".

All the best,
Pete

BenMcr
29-11-2008, 00:04
Usually it is fine. They should send you a self install pack which has all the wires and connectors need to split the cable from one of the wall points (doesn't matter which) and then hook up the modem. This option should then disable the STB BB connection and continue to bill you the same price.

Sometimes, they send you just a modem and power supply, which is only supposed to be send if you already have a modem. This doesn't do anything useful

on in an hour!
29-11-2008, 00:49
Usually it is fine. They should send you a self install pack which has all the wires and connectors need to split the cable from one of the wall points (doesn't matter which) and then hook up the modem. This option should then disable the STB BB connection and continue to bill you the same price.

Sometimes, they send you just a modem and power supply, which is only supposed to be send if you already have a modem. This doesn't do anything useful
am guessing it would matter where you site the modem Ben,surely it will have to go next to the set top that the b/b is currently running off,that way our friend would just need to transfer the ethernet cable from back of set top to back of modem ;)

BenMcr
29-11-2008, 01:20
Apparently I keep on assuming people would know that lol

Swapping to a modem is just a good time to review where everything goes

on in an hour!
29-11-2008, 01:50
Apparently I keep on assuming people would know that lol

Swapping to a modem is just a good time to review where everything goes
does that say 'amusing' people or 'assuming' people ben?? :D

PeteSpringfield
29-11-2008, 01:52
Just to say thanks for your late night replies.

I'm relieved to hear that this isn't that unusual. My biggest fear was of the Engineer turning up and expecting to walk away with my STB :)

Cheers,
Pete

Begize
29-11-2008, 06:49
The only problem I had with mine was getting the modem activated and the STB cable modem de-activated. I had an engineer swap but he couldn't get it working straight away so he told me to call the call centre if it wasn't working in half an hour.

Big mistake letting him go!

I spent about an hour on the phone to India trying to get my account shifted from one to the other. I was passed around and no one seemed to know what to do before being told to call back as the systems were down.

When I did call back, I got someone in the UK who told me that basically the Indians had no idea what they were doing, asked me a couple of questions, tapped away on his keyboard and it was done in 5 minutes....

AndyCambs
29-11-2008, 10:37
I upgraded from 2 V boxes to V+ and a V box (internet was from the back of the STB). They offered an engineer (and since I was having one come with the V+ I thought it would be the same engineer). It wasn't - they sent two.
I wasn't charged for the engineer call either..

Joxer
29-11-2008, 13:07
tapped away on his keyboard and it was done in 5 minutes....

Seems a rather slow typist, by my reckoning it only takes 37 keystrokes, presumably they asked a lot of questions :)

PeteSpringfield
09-12-2008, 17:13
Hi All,

I'd just like to introduce some balance to the forums. I was worried about my STB to CM upgrade but it went smooth as silk. I was down for an afternoon (13:00 - 17:00) window and the chap was at my doorstep at 12:55.

Helpful, courteous and stayed until CM was proven to be connecting without any prompting from me.

So, if Darren, the engineer out of Waterlooville is reading this or you know him. A big thank you is due.

Cheers,
Pete

Raistlin
09-12-2008, 17:48
Nice to see some positive feedback - thanks for sharing :)