PDA

View Full Version : Speed issues

Ozz
28-11-2008, 19:51
I have been conducting speed tests on my Virgin 8MB ADSL connection via a BT landline. There is a lot of confusion between bits and bytes (8 bits = 1 byte) and discrepancies between ISPs' speeds, online speed test results and Windows Task Manager's network monitor.

When I ran various speed tests last night (offpeak) and they gave results averaging about 1980Kbps download and about 380Kbps upload, but I tried downloading some files simultaneously from different websites and Windows Task Manager's network monitor said the speed was not quite peaking at 260,000 Bytes Per Interval and uploading will not go much over 40,000 Bytes Per Interval.

I found this a bit confusing, but after reading about other people's speeds I am starting to think this is much slower than it should be. I live less than 700 metres from an exchange. You can see details about my exchange here: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SMBK. You should be able to find out more about your own exchange there, too.

Does anyone know what results I should be expecting from the speed tests and Task Manger's network monitor? I am using a Netgear DG834G through a wired connection and had about the same speeds when I was using a Speedtouch USB modem.

Noggo
28-11-2008, 21:43
1980 kbps (1.98Mbps) is a little slow based on 700m distance from the exchange. I would have thought it would be more like 5Meg depending on quality of your telephone line and internal wiring.

------------------------------------------

For bits, bytes etc info look here http://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/53

As for testing your download speed try downloading from:
http://fuller.zen.co.uk/test/
and just note what the transfer rate is in kB/s (kilo Bytes per second) displayed in the browser window.

To convert to over units (bits, bytes, mbits or mbytes) just google it. eg for google search is:

200 kB/s to kb/s
answer is:
200 (kB / s) = 1600 kb / s

At the moment with the figures you stated from your online speedtest you should be downloading from the net at about 250 kB/s

1980 kb/s to kB/s
answer is:
1980 (kb / s) = 247.5 kB / s

If you aren't already, try pluging the filter / modem into the master socket? + while testing remove any other phones from the sockets apart from the one in the master socket filter for the modem. This will eliminate the extension sockets and other phones.

Is there any noise / crackling on voice calls? Use an analogue phone and Dial 17070 and select option #2 `quiet line test' and listen for any crackling or backgroud noise.

You need to look at the stats. To see what your sycn speed is etc:

Sync Speed (Connection Speed downstream / upstream)
Attenuation (atten downstream / upstream)
SNR Margin (noise margin downloadstream / upstream)
Details of any CRC/HEC errors or errored seconds may also be helpful

Find out what the speedtouch model # (my bet is 330) and have a look a the following link and find how to get your stats.
http://www.dslzoneuk.net/adsl_line_stats.php

Ozz
28-11-2008, 22:42
Thanks for the advice. These are the results from my router: 17294

What should Task Manager say on a 8MB ADSL connection? It sounds as if it should be over 2 and a half times faster, if I follow this correctly (5MB / 1980 >2.5)

General Maximus
28-11-2008, 22:54
unfortunately that is the bummer with adsl and phone lines. The thing which I love about cable is all being well, you should always be able to get what you are supposed to, i.e. i have always got my 20mbit.

I can remember reading an article last year about BT and they said that it is all well and good isps offering stuff like 8mbit and 24mbit connection, but only 50% of household can receive 6mbit max due to the crappy phone lines and it would cost them £billions to upgrade them to what they would need to to support faster connections.

There are many factors which can hinder your speed on adsl and I am afraid you are never going to get your 8mbit. If you live in a cabled area, or ever move to one, get cable broadband. I wish they would invest the dosh and cable the whole country and then we can get rid of the millions of adsl isps and give everyone proper internet connections.

Welshchris
29-11-2008, 01:26
How do u know if u have a slow connection?

1. Text on Web pages displays as Morse Code

2. Graphics arrive via FedEx

3. You believe a heavier string might improve your connection

4. You post a message to your favorite newsgroup and it displays a week later

5. Your credit card expires while ordering online

6. ESPN Web site exhibits "Heisman Trophy Winner"...for 1989

7. You're still in the middle of downloading that popular new game, "PacMan"

8. Everyone you talk to on the 'net phone' sounds like Forrest Gump

9. You receive e-mails with stamps on them

10. When you click the "Send" button, a little door opens on the side of your monitor and a pigeon flies out.

Turkey Machine
29-11-2008, 03:27
How do u know if u have a slow connection?

1. Text on Web pages displays as Morse Code

2. Graphics arrive via FedEx

3. You believe a heavier string might improve your connection

4. You post a message to your favorite newsgroup and it displays a week later

5. Your credit card expires while ordering online

6. ESPN Web site exhibits "Heisman Trophy Winner"...for 1989

7. You're still in the middle of downloading that popular new game, "PacMan"

8. Everyone you talk to on the 'net phone' sounds like Forrest Gump

9. You receive e-mails with stamps on them

10. When you click the "Send" button, a little door opens on the side of your monitor and a pigeon flies out.

PMSL! I'm saving that one! Thanks for making my night. :)

Noggo
29-11-2008, 09:38
Welshchris, Taf posted that months go. Still funny tho :)
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34527413-post1.html

Ozz, From what you're posted in the doc attachment your stats are good and from what your sycn rate is you should be seeing nearly the full download / upload speeds of 1MB/s (1000KB/s) Down and 56 KB/s upload.

I don't know if this has something to do with it or not, but ADSL has a trailing period of 10 days. Which it goes through testing the line to find the best settings. I would wait until the line settles down and retest in a week or so, to see if can get somewhere near what your line is meant to handle.

Laters,

Ozz
29-11-2008, 16:23
My connection was reconnected 18 days ago after moving (very close to where I was before). It has always been this speed, but now I am using different hardware on a different phone line so I can only assume that Virgin need to do something about it. I think I have done all I can. I am thinking of asking to see my account records to see if they contain any clues.

Noggo
30-11-2008, 09:13
Time to talk to VM to find out what’s happening. I know I wouldn't be to happy if the modem sycn`d at nearly the full 8Meg and I only downloaded at just under 2Meg. As it's something that is common to both connection points on the same telephone exchange, one would assume that it's something to do with the exchange end and not your equipment.

Welshchris
01-12-2008, 11:54
My connection was reconnected 18 days ago after moving (very close to where I was before). It has always been this speed, but now I am using different hardware on a different phone line so I can only assume that Virgin need to do something about it. I think I have done all I can. I am thinking of asking to see my account records to see if they contain any clues.

they will proberbly leave bits out that could be the cause of the problem.