PDA

View Full Version : Cant connect wireless WGR614 Netgear

andy83
28-11-2008, 16:46
Had virgin installed today and all is working fine, apart from being able to connect wirelessly via laptop

internet is working fine via modem but wont let me connect via the router wirelessly

the laptop sees the router and has a strong signla strength but just wont connect

i could connect wirelessly via old router no problem

anyone shed any light??

have tried all the rebooting etc

Noggo
28-11-2008, 16:59
Did you power cycle the VM cable modem, when you put the router in place?

andy83
28-11-2008, 17:06
how you mean??

i turned everything off, then let router boot up, modem boot up then turn on laptop

it is connecting just wont let me on net via it

keeps saying aquiring network address

want it set up to get the wii wireless more than anything, but want to just get it working on pc first

Callumpy
28-11-2008, 17:32
make sure you have DHCP set up on only one of the devices (if you can set it on the VM modems), probs best to set it on the netgear

andy83
28-11-2008, 17:35
how do i find out what is set up with the modem and router?? and where will dhcp settings be??

Noggo
28-11-2008, 17:45
I meant has the cable modem been turn off then back on again, which you're already done.

On the laptop: What about checking `Obtain Ip address automatically' and `Obtain DNS server address automatically' under Local Area Connection in TCP/IP Properties, to see if both are ticked.

What about the router config is DCHP is enabled?

techyguy4
28-11-2008, 18:39
Uninstall any VM software (wireless manager) if installed.
Connect the router with computer using ethernet cable
Open 192.168.1.1 in the internet explorer
username= virgin
password= password
Go to wireless settings: SSID : enter any name for your network
Channel= 11
Passphrase: Any password of at least 8 characters.
Apply.

Try connecting the wireless again (you can disconnect the ethernet cable once wireless connection is connected).

JohnBond
29-11-2008, 10:37
Please advise
A friend of my has a similar problem, have talked her through connecting her laptop to the wireless router(wirelessly) via its ip address using virgin and password then when she browses the admin info on the router find that the router is not being assigned any ip info from the modem.The light at the front shows that the router is connected to the modem,DHCP is swithed on, and if she connects the moden direct to her laptop lan connection it works fine. Any ideas appriciated
ta

andy83
29-11-2008, 13:18
have tried this and although the strength is now better it still wont connect

when i try to connect it ask for the key and then searches for the network and then the search stops after about a minute and just shows me my network is there and signal strength is high but wont connect, no error messages or anything come up.

anything else i can try??

thanks

whydoIneedatech
29-11-2008, 13:54
have tried this and although the strength is now better it still wont connect

when i try to connect it ask for the key and then searches for the network and then the search stops after about a minute and just shows me my network is there and signal strength is high but wont connect, no error messages or anything come up.

anything else i can try??

thanks
Try this

-----------------------------------------------
First you need to fully uninstall the software from your computer, by first going to the system tray by the clock on desktop and exiting the wireless manager, then go to start > control panel >unistall programs> now unistall the wireless manager from here then exit .
Next ensure the router is on and take a pen or a paperclip and look on the back of the router and you will see a small round hole big enough for the pen to go into press the reset button in this hole for approx 10 seconds then switch off the router and modem
------------------------------------------------------------
Quick router set up for the WGR614 Virgin Router

connect your laptop direct to the router in port 1to 4>open internet explorer>in the address bar put http://192.168.1.1/ when the login screen appears put in the username : virgin and the passphrase : password> the Netgear router page will now appear, down the left side click on Wireless settings>now name your network, something you remember and replace the passphrase with a new one at least 8 characters long and click apply, wait for it to finish updating and close the page.
disconnect cable from laptop and router, ensure inbuilt wireless switched on, go to system tray and look for connect to a network icon ( not the virgin icon ) click it and find your network name, click connect put in your passphrase and when it says connected open a browser page and you should be connected.
------------------------------------------------------------

Joxer
29-11-2008, 15:11
If it is asking for a key, rather than a passphrase it is possible that there is an issue with WPA encryption, I have seen similar symptoms (tries to connect but gives no error) when using an adapter (or driver) that does not support WPA. You could try WEP instead.

andy83
30-11-2008, 14:32
ok so problem solved now, had to reset router download manual and do it exactly like it said on there,

thanks for help

Noggo
30-11-2008, 15:52
it always helps reading the destructions.

andy83
30-11-2008, 16:05
didnt have manual with the router lol

Noggo
30-11-2008, 16:18
not even a PDF manual on the CD

andy83
30-11-2008, 16:50
nope, no cd came with it apart from virgin wireless thing

Noggo
30-11-2008, 19:04
a bit pants really, if all that's included is the router it's self.

Callumpy
01-12-2008, 20:44
i dont think my WGR614 came with a manual either