PDA

View Full Version : Netgear WGR614 v9 to latest firmware

divadiow
28-11-2008, 11:06
is currently on a low 'virgin' firmware and I want to upgrade it.

I know virgin don't do any firmware updates themselves so I'd have to do the upgrade to netgear trickery.

what's actually different/crippled with the virgin firmware apart from the login username anyway?

it's my understanding the little black cable modem deals with ip/mac assignment and so anything done to the netgear won't actually matter anyway. i can buy any old ip router and use it off the cable modem.

I am not interested in VM support.

so is there anything to stop me updating it?

whydoIneedatech
28-11-2008, 11:33
is currently on a low 'virgin' firmware and I want to upgrade it.

I know virgin don't do any firmware updates themselves so I'd have to do the upgrade to netgear trickery.

what's actually different/crippled with the virgin firmware apart from the login username anyway?

it's my understanding the little black cable modem deals with ip/mac assignment and so anything done to the netgear won't actually matter anyway. i can buy any old ip router and use it off the cable modem.

I am not interested in VM support.

so is there anything to stop me updating it?
It has embedded Virgin firmware and even Netgear will not support it for that reason.

You may be able to change it but are as likely to brick it if not very careful, you would be better with an wireless N router from any other manufacturer.

v0id
28-11-2008, 12:18
I always got the impression that these "free" routers remained the property of VM, despite paying out £40 odd quid for one. Hence the VM branded firmware on them :/

whydoIneedatech
28-11-2008, 14:49
I always got the impression that these "free" routers remained the property of VM, despite paying out £40 odd quid for one. Hence the VM branded firmware on them :/
Yes they do remain the property of Virginmedia at all times.

Milambar
28-11-2008, 14:55

Wot??? You paid £40odd quid for a WGR614, that will remain the property of VM?

I paid £35 for mine from Aria.co.uk about 3 years ago, and it will remain the property of me. Admittedly its a v6 version, not a v9, but I don't think theres anything special about v9's.

v0id
28-11-2008, 17:00
Wot??? You paid £40odd quid for a WGR614, that will remain the property of VM?

I paid £35 for mine from Aria.co.uk about 3 years ago, and it will remain the property of me. Admittedly its a v6 version, not a v9, but I don't think theres anything special about v9's.

No, I paid diddly squat for the router telewest sent me, which is why I wonder why some people actually pay the amount asked by VM, and if they actually realise that they have to give it back should they end their service :confused:

Turkey Machine
28-11-2008, 18:15
I thought it was yours after 12 months regardless....

jolzee1
05-12-2008, 14:57
Finally I've managed to upgrade my Virgin WGR614 v9 to the latest firmware available on Netgear's site. I explicitly wanted to be able to use the WDS feature available in the latest firmware upgrade.

Thanks to this posting it was painless:

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?p=148146

Welshchris
05-12-2008, 18:21
after flashing this does it still crash when using Peer to peer, ftp etc?

Mine used to as it used to flood cos of lack of open connections available.

whydoIneedatech
05-12-2008, 19:35
Finally I've managed to upgrade my Virgin WGR614 v9 to the latest firmware available on Netgear's site. I explicitly wanted to be able to use the WDS feature available in the latest firmware upgrade.

Thanks to this posting it was painless:

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?p=148146
It may work but it invalidates any warranty with Virgin plus it also come with this disclaimer on the post.

Please advise that this fix is not supported by Netgear Support/ Warranty. If you brick your devices you will not obtain NO WARRANTY!!

Milambar
05-12-2008, 19:47
If as the other posts indicate, the router remains virgin media's property, wouldn't this mean that by flashing it with alternative firmware, you are committing an offence of damaging someone else's property? Unless of course, Virgin Media gave you permission to reflash it.

That reminds me, I wonder if theres a new firmware for my WGR614v6, which is wholly my own...

*Goes to look*

xocemp
05-12-2008, 20:03
AFAIK... The "free" router remains the property of VM for the first contracted term, thereafter its yours.
£40 paid for the router, its yours. It as with the above, comes with a 12 month guarantee & 2 years tech support, support provided if using VM card or USB dongle.
Flashing the firmware will void your warranty and support.

Gra3ham
18-11-2009, 19:58
I have followed the instructions in the above link and I get telnet access then telnet gives me a BurnboardId OK message, but after the modem reboots, still no luck with the upgrading. I have also tried the update without rebooting when the telnet mode is still enabled, to no avail.
The Router gives me an error message: "invalid filename was provided, please try again" just as it did before enabling telnet and when I try to open up a telnet console again it refuses me access and I have to run telnetEnable again.

My router ip has not changed from 192.168.1.1 and I've double checked my MAC address...

Any suggestions (other than buy another - I'd like to beat this, it is a challenge)

Graham

Jimm
16-03-2010, 09:01
I have followed the instructions in the above link and I get telnet access then telnet gives me a BurnboardId OK message, but after the modem reboots, still no luck with the upgrading. I have also tried the update without rebooting when the telnet mode is still enabled, to no avail.
The Router gives me an error message: "invalid filename was provided, please try again" just as it did before enabling telnet and when I try to open up a telnet console again it refuses me access and I have to run telnetEnable again.

My router ip has not changed from 192.168.1.1 and I've double checked my MAC address...

Any suggestions (other than buy another - I'd like to beat this, it is a challenge)

Graham

Try using Internet Explorer instead of Firefox.

Jim