PDA

View Full Version : Free Router

Chuck
27-11-2008, 20:48
So what are the chances of getting a free VM Router? I need a new one to replace my old Linksys Befsr41 V2 (5mbs Uplink!).

Existing customer, any chance or tips to help me get one?

LaineY
27-11-2008, 21:21
if you are an existing customer you will have to pay £40 for the router and £7.50 postage..

We dont give away free routers. The demand became to strong for them.

Its now to be done equally and fair. By making all customers pay for these.
(apart from new customers adding Broadband Internet as a new service (Above L Only)

I suppose the upside of getting a router from us is, its 100% Supported by VM Broadband Tech Support and any time.

Hope this helps

broadbandking
27-11-2008, 22:13
I would suggest you go for N series routers for your 20Mb package

Stabhappy
27-11-2008, 22:22
I suppose the upside of getting a router from us is, its 100% Supported by VM Broadband Tech Support and any time.

Yeah just a shame it's so crippled by the software that virgin actaully put onto it.

LaineY
27-11-2008, 22:46
:S.. theres firmware updates.. available for them ... and the software thats on the routers work fine.. infact i noticed no difference with an original and VM's. performance wise they were pretty much the same.

Full 20mb no problem.. and decent range..
plus you get the free tech support with them (if your not so clued up on them / setup process etc..)

Stabhappy
27-11-2008, 23:08
Are we talking about the v9? that's the only one i have any experience with, and I can gaurentee you that the virgin firmware has crippled it badly. Random disconnects, etc.

Tech_Boy
27-11-2008, 23:18
:S.. theres firmware updates.. available for them ...
No, there isn't, you will most likely brick the router if you try and upgrade the firmware, as it is locked down.

And we won't support it if you have bricked it;)

Craig.
27-11-2008, 23:24
hey, theres already a similar thread to this...

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33640777-free-wireless-router.html

General Maximus
27-11-2008, 23:47
there is another one flying around somewhere with a lot of dicussion about tomatoes :) the long and short of it is that we collectively agreed the best router to buy atm is the Linksys wrt54g for £30

v0id
27-11-2008, 23:57
No, there isn't, you will most likely brick the router if you try and upgrade the firmware, as it is locked down.

The firmware upgrade that VM supply is for the old routers they gave away to ex blueyonder customers

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/wireless/upgrade-tw-kit.php

Matth
27-11-2008, 23:59
So is the free / £40 router any better than the £23.99 one at VM's accessory store
http://accessories.virginmedia.com/webstore/Default.aspx
http://accessories.virginmedia.com/webstore/CNETrelated/ExtendedInformation.aspx?ExtendedCode=138722&ExtendedProdCode=M160771&CatCode=SELF520302

Not sure what the bundled / £40 model is - looking at the price, the up to £40 calss also includes a Dynamode with MiMo and an Edimax with 802.11n

Stabhappy
28-11-2008, 00:04
I'd get one if it's free (I have 2 - one was a replacement on the grounds that the first was problematic, it turns out it was a trend). I am waiting for DD-WRT to become compatable and then I'll see how they turn out.

v0id
28-11-2008, 00:42
So is the free / £40 router any better than the £23.99 one at VM's accessory store
http://accessories.virginmedia.com/webstore/CNETrelated/ExtendedInformation.aspx?ExtendedCode=138722&ExtendedProdCode=M160771&CatCode=SELF520302

Not sure what the bundled / £40 model is - looking at the price, the up to £40 calss also includes a Dynamode with MiMo and an Edimax with 802.11n

It's a Netgear WGR614v9 I believe, that you can get uncrippled by virginmedias own firmware for £25 - £35 at most retailers

Stabhappy
28-11-2008, 01:13
it is possible to flash it to stock netgear firmware if you -really- know what you're doing, but it's risky. i'm just waiting for DD-WRT which is currently in developement then i'll have two useful routers.

yorkshireborn
28-11-2008, 01:33
i should have got a free router but it never came over two months later it took them to tell me the rep didn't put an order in for the router.
now they want £40

whydoIneedatech
28-11-2008, 05:57

The £40 is better as it comes with full Technical support, any of the ones bought through the accessory store are classed as 3rd party and are unsupported.;)

broadbandking
28-11-2008, 10:13
i should have got a free router but it never came over two months later it took them to tell me the rep didn't put an order in for the router.
now they want £40

If you was a new broadband customer taking either L or XL broadband they have to honour that and send you a router.

Kymmy
28-11-2008, 10:21
How deep does the support go?? And also how changed is the VM firmware??

What I mean is if I wanted to do something like a static route, or set the QOS would the VM firmware still have that option and would a tech go through step by step as to how to do it...or are they simply fault finding techs???

broadbandking
28-11-2008, 10:24
As far as I am aware its just basic troubleshooting and the firmware cant be changed

Kymmy
28-11-2008, 10:41
As far as I am aware its just basic troubleshooting and the firmware cant be changed

I was asking is the firmware changed... as in altered to the point where it's restricted...

whydoIneedatech
28-11-2008, 11:43
I was asking is the firmware changed... as in altered to the point where it's restricted...
You can still play with the standard Netgear settings by logging in via cable on 192.168.1.1 and using virgin and password which takes you to the configuration screens of the modem.

You are just prevented from flashing it or upgrading the firmware to such an extent that Netgear will not support it.

DC_FC79
03-12-2008, 11:19
Anyone know what the default username and password is for the netgear router

whydoIneedatech
03-12-2008, 11:21
Anyone know what the default username and password is for the netgear router
The Virgin router ones are

virgin & password

Tarantella
03-12-2008, 12:52
Theres usually quite a few cheap VM routers for sale on ebay.

I cant imagine where theyre coming from.

whydoIneedatech
03-12-2008, 13:18
Theres usually quite a few cheap VM routers for sale on ebay.

I cant imagine where theyre coming from.
They will be totally unsupported by both Virgin and Netgear and I would not touch them with a dirty stick for that reason.;)

yorkshireborn
04-12-2008, 05:17
If you was a new broadband customer taking either L or XL broadband they have to honour that and send you a router.

you would have thought that.

but they say no order came from rep so £40 is wot they want.

DC_FC79
05-12-2008, 11:01
I asked for a router last week and the guy sent me 1, there was no mention of it not being free,

---------- Post added at 11:01 ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 ----------

The Virgin router ones are

virgin & password

thanks an im sorry for hijacking the thread

Chuck
13-12-2008, 21:25
Went an bought a Linksys WRT54GS from PC world, I hate the place but it was only £29 as someone bought it thinking it would be ok for ADSL and took it back!

Flashed to the latest firmware, all OK, not using wireless yet though!

Apparently it can support DD-WRT (Micro only) anyone know if it is worth bothering with, what do you get over Linksys firmware?

kpanchev
14-12-2008, 00:14
Went an bought a Linksys WRT54GS from PC world, I hate the place but it was only £29 as someone bought it thinking it would be ok for ADSL and took it back!

Flashed to the latest firmware, all OK, not using wireless yet though!

Apparently it can support DD-WRT (Micro only) anyone know if it is worth bothering with, what do you get over Linksys firmware?

You get a lot, and i do mean a lot more. Even if you don't have complex wireless setup, only the option to define the router's transmit power, number of connections and time-outs is priceless. But before you put dd-wrt, do check the compatibility page:
http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Linksys_.28all_the_rest_that_is_ not_re-engineered_til_today.29

Chuck
14-12-2008, 11:40
Cheers for the reply, I have a version 7 one so that means Micro only, so is that much more than the standard firmware?

adyf
15-12-2008, 13:23

I can't connect my PDA to it with an 802.11b wireless adapter, but can connect a laptop on an 802.11g wireless adapter. Believe Virgin firmware has disabled 802.11b functionality. Interested to hear from anyone else with this problem and possible workround. Dare say I need to buy another router, even a stock standard Netgear WGR614.

Joxer
15-12-2008, 14:28
I can't connect my PDA to it with an 802.11b wireless adapter, but can connect a laptop on an 802.11g wireless adapter. Believe Virgin firmware has disabled 802.11b functionality. Interested to hear from anyone else with this problem and possible workround. Dare say I need to buy another router, even a stock standard Netgear WGR614.

Could it be the PDA only supports WEP and not WPA?

If so you can set the router to use WEP instead, but it is less secure.

LaineY
15-12-2008, 23:37
The VM Routers are only 100% supported if you take it with a wireless USB Dongle or PCMCIA Wireless adapter (Per PC)

If you call up VM Tech Support.. with just a Router and No wireless adapters.. Tech Support are not permitted to set it up with Onboard Adapters (Although its straight forward).

Any Wireless Kits bought from Virgin Media's Shop are unsupported with regards to help from Tech Support.

Its Aimed to make it easier for customers who are not sure about how to set up wireless.
For EG.. if you buy a Router and 2 Dongles..from VM
Then you get the Disk along with the Instructions to save any confusion.
If you cant do it then Technical Support can help you with it..

VM's Wireless Routers also come already protected.. to save the novice user phoning a pound a minute line to set it up .. or getting PC World out.

The protection on the routers is decent enough.

In Short..
1. The Advance User = Just get their own router from the shop.
2. Customers new to wireless or who are not sure = The supports there if required provided you buy the router with the dongles if setting up a wireless connection in your home.

People, when buying a product like to know the supports there for it. Which it is if taken with the fully supported equipment.

Regards

th'engineer
16-12-2008, 07:39
if you want a router buy a us robotics they work well belkin and linksys have problems with cable i know have tried all in the past the one i have been using is a us robotics 8054 for three years

do not use a usb dongle they use up your ram and tend to disconnect