PDA

View Full Version : UK Timeline Day of the Triffids

Russ
27-11-2008, 20:09
Hot on the heels of Survivors, the beeb is bringing back The Day of the Triffids!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7753322.stm

zing_deleted
27-11-2008, 20:11
cool I think lol

MovedGoalPosts
27-11-2008, 20:17
Could be good but as only a two parter it won't get the chance to really develop.

I wonder if there is a new end of the human world scenario that the TV companies could work on rather than remaking all the good (and maybe not so good) stuff?

dilli-theclaw
27-11-2008, 21:06
I am happy :) that is one of my all time favourite books :) The sequel (although not by the same author) isn't too bad either.

Charlie_Bubble
27-11-2008, 21:16
Fantastic. I remember the last series as a kid. Very scary when you're only 11! :)

LSainsbury
27-11-2008, 21:19
Cool - I can't wait for V to return next year either!!

Tezcatlipoca
27-11-2008, 21:29
Excellent :D

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2008/11/6.jpg

dilli-theclaw
27-11-2008, 21:33
Just as long as they don't pull the stupid - 'let's kill them with seawater' crap.

Woolly One
27-11-2008, 21:42
I wonder if there is a new end of the human world scenario that the TV companies could work on rather than remaking all the good (and maybe not so good) stuff?

I think that this is the way that the world will end - but unfortunately it doesn't really make for gripping TV viewing!

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper - T S Eliot

So bring on the viruses, aliens & killer plants. Far more fun:D

Tezcatlipoca
27-11-2008, 21:46
So bring on the viruses, aliens & killer plants. Far more fun:D

Don't forget the zombies!

Pierre
27-11-2008, 21:48
Is there no such thing as an original idea anymore?

v0id
27-11-2008, 21:57
So the US aren't the only one's who have run out of ideas for new shows then

Woolly One
27-11-2008, 22:03
Don't forget the zombies!

Don't they come under the virus bit:D

Russ
27-11-2008, 22:08
So the US aren't the only one's who have run out of ideas for new shows then

It might not be that. Think about it, established fans of the story, new technology to make it look even better, ok it's the lazy way of doing things but it's also pretty smart.

Maggy
27-11-2008, 23:32
Well it is a classic SF story.Wyndham was a terrific story teller and people keep returning to his work again and again..I just wish they might turn to his other works rather than use the Triffids and the MidWich Cuckoos over and over..

The Chrysalids is a wonderful post apocolyptic story which has barely ever been used except in radio and The Kraken Awakes is a very intelligent invasion story..Both deserve as much attention as the first two.

Delta Whiskey
27-11-2008, 23:37
Brings a new meaning to the heavy plant crossing signs... :D

I thought the old radio four dramatisation was excellent, perhaps they should re-broadcast that too.

smeagoly1
28-11-2008, 08:08
NOw this is one i just can't wait for :) Just read it on the BBC site. Not only one of the classic books, radio broadcast and series. With modern technology at their fingertips, i think this may just be another classic "well fingers crossed" Just hope they do the casting and script right.

I always did hope somene would eventually. do a few of his other classics. "Kraken wakes" for example. If you have never read a John Wyndham book, do so :)

Taf
28-11-2008, 11:20
The Goodies did the best version

Xaccers
28-11-2008, 19:37
The Goodies did the best version

*sigh* I miss the Goodies...

Hugh
28-11-2008, 21:44
*sigh* I miss the Goodies...
Get your sights adjusted.

You won't miss them the next time......;)

Russ
11-02-2009, 09:31
http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2009/02_february/11/triffids.shtml

Sounds almost like a clone of Survivors :spin:

Hugh
11-02-2009, 10:08
http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2009/02_february/11/triffids.shtml

Sounds almost like a clone of Survivors :spin:

But with mobile carnivorous 10 foot high dandelions.....:D

Stuart
28-12-2009, 21:25
Watching this on BBC1 now. I've only just started watching it, but it looks like the Beeb have done a good job.. Good cast, good special effects, good script, good story..

Russ
28-12-2009, 22:29
Pretty good although it does seem like a Survivor clone. I can't take Eddie Izzard seriously as the baddie though, he's hamming it up too much.

dilli-theclaw
28-12-2009, 22:35
It is an interesting take on the original. But like the 50's one a bit wide of the mark with regards the book. Still I guess it had to be modernised a bit.

I do, however, await tomorrow nights with interest ;)

Stuart
28-12-2009, 22:39
As I understand it (and I've never read the book, so don't know if this is right), they've taken the premise (and basic plot) from the book, but based a new story on that premise and plot.

After all, they didn't even *have* the concept of biofuels when the book was written..

dilli-theclaw
28-12-2009, 22:46
As I understand it (and I've never read the book, so don't know if this is right), they've taken the premise (and basic plot) from the book, but based a new story on that premise and plot.

After all, they didn't even *have* the concept of biofuels when the book was written..
Yup - and it's already better than the 50's one ;)

The only one I've not listened to now is the 2000 radio version.

moroboshi
29-12-2009, 00:06
I always thought the strongest aspect of the Triffids book was the mass blindness. The killer plants stuff always seemed pretty silly and pointless to me, as the world would deteriorate just fine without them. 28 Days Later took that idea and did something far better with it I think.

The new adaptation does indeed take liberties with the book, mostly adding a lot more action and removing the sense of desolation. I thought it was pretty well done, and the cast was good (except for Eddie Izzard, who is a great stand up but a terrible actror). Looked expensive too, I imagine deals are in place with US, CA, AU TV networks etc.

Russ
29-12-2009, 09:11
I imagine deals are in place with US, CA, AU TV networks etc.

I agree, they certainly seemed to use 'international' expressions at times.

Mick Fisher
30-12-2009, 00:03
It's a good story although somewhat done to death over the years. What is the score so far? Two major movies, Three or Four TV adaptations?

I'm enjoying this latest effort although I feel the whole thing descends into the realm of the rediculous every time a Triffid comes into shot. :(

Come on Guys, come up with a convincing Triffid, you've surely had enough practice at it by now. :)

Personally I think it is "the walking/shuffling" that lets them down. I think a static plant that can propagate like wildfire via windbourne spores, with the ability to establish itself almost anywhere, lamp posts, walls etc, a bit like Ivy does. Rather than a whip lash I think a dart might be a better vehicle for the sting.

Maggy
30-12-2009, 01:32
Well the only two things that it had in common with the book were the triffids and the mass blinding.Apart from that it was a total rewrite.:erm:

dilli-theclaw
30-12-2009, 10:11
Really? I found it very similar to what happened in the book. A lot of the same situations just told in different ways.

It does make the sequel a bit pointless now though, still a good read though.

joglynne
30-12-2009, 10:25
Day of the Triffids along with Kraken Wakes and War of the Worlds and were the first 3 books that introduced me to science fiction in my teens. I was loath to watch this rendition in case it left a bad impression but have recorded both parts.

Now the question is do I watch the recordings or not? Decisions decisions. :(

Kymmy
30-12-2009, 10:48
Never ever take a film or TV show as a truthful rendition of the book.. If it was then the show/movie would be a few days long...

As a programme in it's own right I'd say yes watch it, it was good TV

LSainsbury
30-12-2009, 10:55
I could'nt get into this...watch the first half hour of the first episode and then switched over to something even more boring!!

Mick Fisher
30-12-2009, 12:06
I quite enjoyed it. :)

joglynne
30-12-2009, 14:35
Think I will give it a spin then. :D Thanks for all your opinions. :tu:

Paul
03-01-2010, 22:21
Just watched part 1 tonight and loved it. :)

joglynne
04-01-2010, 09:03
Watched both parts on New Years Day and really enjoyed them. I was glad we had the second part to view straight away, wouldn't have liked to have to wait in suspense. Now to go back and read the original. :)

dilli-theclaw
04-01-2010, 09:18
When Natalie was here she watched the older BBC one. And preferred that, me well I liked both in different ways.

aliferste
04-01-2010, 09:27
Loved the book and really enjoyed the first BBC series - this one was equally as good in its own way - I dunno - I actually liked Izzard - I thought his acting was better than a lot of these so called career actors you see on the telly - or in movies for that matter.

I did miss the original BBC music though from the original series - here was nothing more sinister than the wailing and people looking up at the green sky....oooooOOOoh - still gives me shivers that does :)

Maggy
04-01-2010, 09:27
Praying that the next production of a John Wyndham novel is NOT the Midwich Cuckoos.It has been so overdone.

Even a reprise of Chocky (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocky) would be welcome but I'd love them to try The Kraken Wakes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kraken_Wakes) or the Chrysalids (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chrysalids).

dilli-theclaw
04-01-2010, 09:33
I've just ordered all four of those on DAISY not read the midwich cuckoos before and only seen chocky on tv.