PDA

View Full Version : Scared of needles

Central
27-11-2008, 17:41
But I am having constant nosebleeds.

Last night I had a 90 minute nosebleed. I got took to hospital where the bleeding stopped after a massive clot fell out :eek: They wanted to do blood tests where I freaked out and started to sweat really bad.

About 1pm today the nosebleeds started again. Just not as intense. Lasting about 15 before clotting up again. Had about 5 so far and seems to of stopped for now.

I know I should go to a hospital but i am so petrified about needles :cry:

Plus I might need one of the needle things in my hand. Forget what they called

Should I be worried?

AntiSilence
27-11-2008, 17:44
I think you might have to face the needles... You should really find out what's going on...

MadGamer
27-11-2008, 17:51
But I am having constant nosebleeds.

Last night I had a 90 minute nosebleed. I got took to hospital where the bleeding stopped after a massive clot fell out :eek: They wanted to do blood tests where I freaked out and started to sweat really bad.

About 1pm today the nosebleeds started again. Just not as intense. Lasting about 15 before clotting up again. Had about 5 so far and seems to of stopped for now.

I know I should go to a hospital but i am so petrified about needles :cry:

Plus I might need one of the needle things in my hand. Forget what they called

Should I be worried? The thing we have to work out Central, is why you are scared of them. Talking about it may help. :)

peanut
27-11-2008, 17:55
I don't like needles myself, but have had 100's of blood tests and dozens of cannulas (the one that stay in), yet the cannulas if done right are totally painless, I've had a lot more pain and complications from a simple blood test than those.

Keep thinking that the thought is the worse part (isn't everything, sorry if you keep hearing that), but when you're done you'll be kicking yourself for putting yourself through all that stress.

And I agree you need to find out what's going on, I'm sure you'll find needles aren't as bad as you think, just turn your head away when they put them in and think of something else at the time. On the pain side of it, it really isn't worth worrying about. Good luck anyway.

Central
27-11-2008, 18:07
I think i am scared because I had 2 bad experiences at the dentist once. I got told that needles in the mouth are the worst kind though.

I know that I will probably not be that bad when having the needles its just the thought of having one that bothers me.

rogerdraig
27-11-2008, 18:12
if you really that scared tell them they can use a local topical ( think thats the right word lol ) cream to numb any where they need to use one

Pia
27-11-2008, 18:14
Just give them some nose blood to test :shrug:

:D

tweetypie/8
27-11-2008, 18:20
I don't like needles myself, but have had 100's of blood tests and dozens of cannulas (the one that stay in), yet the cannulas if done right are totally painless, I've had a lot more pain and complications from a simple blood test than those.

Keep thinking that the thought is the worse part (isn't everything, sorry if you keep hearing that), but when you're done you'll be kicking yourself for putting yourself through all that stress.

And I agree you need to find out what's going on, I'm sure you'll find needles aren't as bad as you think, just turn your head away when they put them in and think of something else at the time. On the pain side of it, it really isn't worth worrying about. Good luck anyway.

i dont want to sound macho pea,but i find if i watch the needle going in it takes away the fear it, works for me and i aint no hero.

joglynne
27-11-2008, 18:22
Central I used to freak out at thought of anyone coming near to me with a needle but ended up having to have blood samples taken every day for several weeks. I had no choice, literally life or death.

A friend made me realise that I had to work out what was scaring me. In my case it was the sight of the needles and I found that having someone with me who knew when to distract me made it easier.

The people who need to give you injections, or draw blood, would rather have a patient who is not trying to escape. :D You will find, I am sure, that once they know your problem they will do everything they can to put you at ease. You just have to admit you have a problem with needles and let them help you.

xpod
27-11-2008, 18:28
I think i am scared because I had 2 bad experiences at the dentist once. I got told that needles in the mouth are the worst kind though.

I know that I will probably not be that bad when having the needles its just the thought of having one that bothers me.

Dentists needles are about the only ones i dont mind.
I cant see the needle penetrate the skin in my mouth,unlike the steroid injections in my wrists for the Carpals Tunnel.Those things are big 6" spikes he sticks in then scratches about till he finds the exact location:shocked:

I have to take one of the kids with me just so i dont chicken out at the last minute.After seeing the wife go through her eye Op recently i`ve promised to get it done though...........:erm:

peanut
27-11-2008, 18:30
And you only feel a small prick for a short time. :dozey: :p: :rolleyes:

I find the worst needles you can have are for the blood gases (wrist), now that is one you want to avoid if possible, the other one I don't like the spinal taps / lumber punctures. (Had 4 and I hope never again).

Taf
27-11-2008, 18:32
My daughter was totally needle phobic... screaming the place down and fainting when she had to have innoculation as a child. Then she became diabetic in her teens and needed insulin injections to keep her alive. The first injection (into the fat of her belly) really freaked her out, but she was sent home with needles and injectors and told to get on with it herself.

Next morning she just got up, prepped the injection... and did it all alone.

I suppose fear of one thing must have been greater than fear of another thing... painful death.

Ask them to take blood via a "butterfly" as the needle is fine and smooth I reckon you won't feel it at all... especially if they soak the area in "magic cream" beforehand.

Best of luck for the future.

xpod
27-11-2008, 18:45
My daughter was totally needle phobic... screaming the place down and fainting when she had to have innoculation as a child.

Our youngest girl(3) has tantrums if we try and get a shringe/spoon of Calpal down her.She just doesn`t like medicine,never mind the needles.
We have to take her to hospital tomorrow to get some baby teeth out and she`s gonna scream the place down as soon as anyone goes near her.

They plan on giving her a sedative just to get the anasthetic in her but i dont fancy being whoever has to give her that sedative.
The better half is in a right old state about it all already.

Taf
27-11-2008, 19:28
In my daughter's case, she blames a film they were shown in school in which addicts injected themselves.

Xaccers
28-11-2008, 02:10
Make sure you explain to them that you are terrified of needles.
They're used to people with that phobia so will probably know the best way to do the tests while causing you the least discomfort.
Never feel ashamed or foolish for your phobia.
I've got a phobia of plasters, can't stand the sight of them, let alone having one on me. If I give to a charity and they try to put a sticker on me, I have to back away quickly.
I know the reasons why, and can over come the phobia with logic if I really need to, but it doesn't stop me being grossed out by them.

Central
28-11-2008, 23:19
Well I went back into hospital last night.

Bleeding stopped last night after about a hour and it clotted. Clots fell out and it had stopped bleeding. Doctor on duty told me it was noraml for bleeding to last a few days and nothing to bee worried about.

Got home at 3am this morning.

As of now my nose has not bleeded again

Flyboy
02-12-2008, 01:07

You are absolutely right. These are the worst and more people are afraid of these than any other. I have every symapathy for you. I have been a diabetic for over forty years and have to inject four to five times a day and I also suffer from belonephobia (fear of needles). I can't stand them, especially ones administered by the dentist. The ones I give myself are easiest, because it is me that is in control and I decide when and how it happens. Thankfully, for past ten years, I have been able to use something called a "Novopen" (some refer to it as an epipen) to inject and it changed my life. Much better than using the cumbersome and awkward hypodermics etc.

However, the technique I have used in the past is to try tension/relaxation exercises. Tensing the body and then relaxing in even strokes, helps to moderate the body's rhythm and allows you to regulate control. When you have attained this control you will then be ready to prepare your body to accept the needle. Concentrate on the rhythm of tension/relaxation, hold the tension at the time the needle pierces the skin and continue until the needle is withdrawn and then relax. This allows you to focus more on the function of the exercise than the injection itself. It takes only a few seconds to prepare for this and can be done without anyone noticing.

frogstamper
02-12-2008, 03:27
Well I went back into hospital last night.

Bleeding stopped last night after about a hour and it clotted. Clots fell out and it had stopped bleeding. Doctor on duty told me it was noraml for bleeding to last a few days and nothing to bee worried about.

Got home at 3am this morning.

As of now my nose has not bleeded again

I'm glad its all turned out fine for you Central:)

I find the worst needles you can have are for the blood gases (wrist), now that is one you want to avoid if possible, the other one I don't like the spinal taps / lumber punctures. (Had 4 and I hope never again).

Tell me about it peanut, I had one of those needles straight down into the wrist into the artery,:Yikes:, talk about painful.
The strange thing is the blood is a blackish colour almost like tar.

budwieser
02-12-2008, 19:31
I'm glad its all turned out fine for you Central:)

Tell me about it peanut, I had one of those needles straight down into the wrist into the artery,:Yikes:, talk about painful.
The strange thing is the blood is a blackish colour almost like tar.

Isn`t that called Venus blood or something like that?

frogstamper
03-12-2008, 06:10
Isn`t that called Venus blood or something like that?

That seems to ring a bell, if I remember my O level biology :D blood going back to the kidneys and liver to be cleaned goes via the "Venus" system, I believe its usually represented as a blue network on a map of the body.
Either way I'm not in a rush to have that done again.;)

2OLD2THINK
03-12-2008, 18:10
Afraid of Needles and want a cure.........work with them, do a bit of sewing, took a sewing class for junior school kids last week making Leather Phone Holders Wallets etc for Xmas prezzies, the more you handle them the less afraid you become. Some of the kids stabbed themselves and were not the least bit bothered, but if someone else stabbed them accidentally them it was a major issue.
I stitch myself up after accidents if I can get to the wound as the hospital staff doing this job are crap. Modern needles are so fine that you hardly feel them, some of course are like drainpipes, just depends how much stuff they want to take out of you:tiptoe: