PDA

View Full Version : Crazy

Barewolf
27-11-2008, 05:45
Hi,

About 12 months ago I got onto Virgin about my speed, I was paying £37 a month for 20mb connection but I was only getting speeds of 3-4mb, they told me they didnt know when they could fix the issue so they would charge me £25 a month for 13 months keeping the connection I have, which again was supposed to be 20mb.

Now its 12 months on and my speed is 3.3mb and its 4.30am. I just downloaded a 15mb file in over 5 minutes.

The modem i have is a black virgin one, its only small and i dont know what model it is.

What can i do about virgin? 20mb broadband has been out for ages and i am crawling along on a shoddy speed and paying top prices. By the time i get the speed i pay for 50mb broadband will be out, i feel seriously behind the times and robbed here.

Paul K
27-11-2008, 07:26
Leave? If you aren't happy with the service then that's the only way to resolve it if VM cannot sort the technical side out.

broadbandking
27-11-2008, 09:26
Hi,

About 12 months ago I got onto Virgin about my speed, I was paying £37 a month for 20mb connection but I was only getting speeds of 3-4mb, they told me they didnt know when they could fix the issue so they would charge me £25 a month for 13 months keeping the connection I have, which again was supposed to be 20mb.

Now its 12 months on and my speed is 3.3mb and its 4.30am. I just downloaded a 15mb file in over 5 minutes.

The modem i have is a black virgin one, its only small and i dont know what model it is.

What can i do about virgin? 20mb broadband has been out for ages and i am crawling along on a shoddy speed and paying top prices. By the time i get the speed i pay for 50mb broadband will be out, i feel seriously behind the times and robbed here.

You could either leave as Paul said or you could downgrade to a lower tier or you could wait for 50Mb to be released and wait until your moved to DOCSIS 3.0 which is going to help all tiers but to be honest that wont be for atleast another year.

Have contacted the newsgroup support they are normally very good

XFS03
27-11-2008, 13:17
Hi,

What did VM say the actual problem was? From the sound of it, they said it was a network problem. Perhaps you should phone again to see if there might be other reasons for your slow connection.

If it's a Virgin labeled modem, then it will be a 255 or 256 model (the model number should be underneath).

Out of interest have you looked at the modems operation config page http://192.168.100.1/ to see what tier you are on? Although if they downgraded you to the L tier (4Mbps), it should have increased to 10Mbps, as I think all regions have been upgraded now.

broadbandking
27-11-2008, 13:38
What did VM say the actual problem was? From the sound of it, they said it was a network problem. Perhaps you should phone again to see if there might be other reasons for your slow connection.

If it's a Virgin labeled modem, then it will be a 255 or 256 model (the model number should be underneath).

Out of interest have you looked at the modems operation config page http://192.168.100.1/ to see what tier you are on? Although if they downgraded you to the L tier (4Mbps), it should have increased to 10Mbps, as I think all regions have been upgraded now.

The op stated he is on 20Mb so the config pages will just show that, however signal levels would be helpful so the we can have look

Stuart
27-11-2008, 13:48
The op stated he is on 20Mb so the config pages will just show that,

They should do. However, it is not unheard of for VM to accidentally downgrade a service..

broadbandking
27-11-2008, 14:02
They should do. However, it is not unheard of for VM to accidentally downgrade a service..

The only way that can be done is if a rep goes it to a account and downgrades the services. unless a fault config can cause a issue

XFS03
27-11-2008, 14:09
The op stated he is on 20Mb so the config pages will just show that, however signal levels would be helpful so the we can have look
As Stuart C said, VM may have downgraded his service when the price was reduced. The only sure way of knowing what tier you are on, is to look at the modem config file yourself, although, as you say, signal levels will also be useful.

btw...for some reason, Windows mail flagged broadbandking's reply as potential phishing email. Very strange.

Stuart
27-11-2008, 14:21
The only way that can be done is if a rep goes it to a account and downgrades the services. unless a fault config can cause a issue

Whatever the reason, we have had it before..