PDA

View Full Version : Is my modem giving up the ghost? (Ambit 100), annoying connection issues

kolin
26-11-2008, 17:15
Hi there,

I appear to be having issues with VM at the moment. Our Package is XL (i'm assuming that the broadband/tv packages are the same?)

anyway, the problem is the internet keeps dropping out, with rubbish download speeds (25Kb/sec). It requires me to unplug the modem (even though the ethernet, u/S D/S lights are all still lit) wait 20ish seconds and plug it back in again.

Following your information request for things like this....

The modem is an old NTL:Home 100 ambit
Area is Wakefield WF12
Former NTL customer (langely i believe, as we have never been a Telewest customer)

Cable modem stats

Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem
Cable modem : Ambit Cable Modem
IP address : xx.xx.xx.xx
Downstream Receive Power Level : 13.76 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 28.41 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 38.00 dBmv

Network Access : Enabled
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000 bps
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000 bps
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Software Upgrade File Name : ntlhm100_ntl0004.cpr
Software Upgrade AdminStatus : allowProvisioningUpgrade
Software Upgrade OperStatus : failed

Downstream Status

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : 256 QAM
Downstream Receive Power Level : 13.95 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 28.91 dB

Upload has never been a problem, sits at 45Kb/sec (or is it? should i be getting higher)

Incidentally, i've noticed that there were cable modem swapouts going on. How do i go about getting one of these, if the modem is finally giving up the ghost?

---------- Post added at 17:15 ---------- Previous post was at 17:14 ----------

oh, it's connected via ethernet btw.

Axegrinder
26-11-2008, 17:27
Your downstream SNR( too low) and power ( too high)are borderline, you may a tech visit and since that modem is so old a new modem aswell.

kolin
26-11-2008, 17:36
what does that entail doing? bearing in mind it's my parent's account. Do I have to call tech support? *shudders*

Zhadnost
26-11-2008, 17:37
When I had an ntl:100 and upgraded to 10Mbit (when it was released) the modem was very flakey.

wavesound
26-11-2008, 18:06
Hi there,

I appear to be having issues with VM at the moment. Our Package is XL (i'm assuming that the broadband/tv packages are the same?)

Hi
I've been having drop outs all the time of late.
Plays havoc with my snom voip phone. :confused:

Must admit I've been blaming my Linksys Modem and swapped it out for the old one.
I'm getting very slow download speeds at the moment.
I never considered the actual VM modem Which is a good few years old now.

Do I call them to check/replace?

Cheers
Bob

Milambar
26-11-2008, 18:06
Yes, you will need to contact technical support, now, if you get through to someone in the UK, the problem will be recified very quickly, but if you end up speaking to an Indian, then the problem will be blamed on your PC, your mates PC, your cats toy... Anything other than actually fixing the problem..

Best skip the technical support call imho, and just use the technical support newsgroup.

kolin
26-11-2008, 19:31
superb, thanks for the newsgroup tip.

I've got an engineer booked for friday morning :)