PDA

View Full Version : Are these signal levels ok ?

Efour
24-11-2008, 22:38
Reported a fault of intermittent loss of connection mostly during PEAK HOURS 5pm-11pm and was advised that my modem was faulty and a new one was being sent to me.

Ive had the problem in the past and an engineer was sent to me and told me it was due to over subscription, anyway thats another story...

Cable Modem Downstream Downstream Lock : Locked Downstream Channel Id : 2 Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz Downstream Modulation : QAM64 Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17 Downstream Receive Power Level : 14.1 dBmV Downstream SNR : 37.5 dB
Cable Modem Upstream Upstream Lock : Locked Upstream Channel ID : 3 Upstream Frequency : 42800000 Hz Upstream Modulation : QAM16 Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec Upstream transmit Power Level : 38.0 dBmV Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2Its a 10mbit service - in East london the POPL UBR

cpc3-seve7-0-0-custxxx.popl.cable.ntl.com

whydoIneedatech
24-11-2008, 22:41
Reported a fault of intermittent loss of connection mostly during PEAK HOURS 5pm-11pm and was advised that my modem was faulty and a new one was being sent to me.

Ive had the problem in the past and an engineer was sent to me and told me it was due to over subscription, anyway thats another story...

Cable Modem Downstream Downstream Lock : Locked Downstream Channel Id : 2 Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz Downstream Modulation : QAM64 Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17 Downstream Receive Power Level : 14.1 dBmV Downstream SNR : 37.5 dB
Cable Modem Upstream Upstream Lock : Locked Upstream Channel ID : 3 Upstream Frequency : 42800000 Hz Upstream Modulation : QAM16 Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec Upstream transmit Power Level : 38.0 dBmV Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2Its a 10mbit service - in East london the POPL UBR

cpc3-seve7-0-0-custxxx.popl.cable.ntl.com
Your Downstream in red above is way to high for an EX-NTL connection you need to call Tech Support

Efour
24-11-2008, 22:46
Thanks for the VERY fast reply

I have spoken to them an hour ago and she said after a line test the modem was at fault....

Is this likely to be the case??

I really want to get an engineer on the case ASAP if its going to be a waste of time replacing the modem ...

whydoIneedatech
24-11-2008, 22:48
Thanks for the VERY fast reply

I have spoken to them an hour ago and she said after a line test the modem was at fault....

Is this likely to be the case??

I really want to get an engineer on the case ASAP if its going to be a waste of time replacing the modem ...
What model modem is it

Efour
24-11-2008, 22:53
oh oops yes

Its the blue plastic cased one.

On the base it says NTL 250

whydoIneedatech
24-11-2008, 22:57
oh oops yes

Its the blue plastic cased one.

On the base it says NTL 250
Well that modem is 20Mb capable and if they are sending a replacement it will be a 256, I will be interested to see if a new modem changes the power level, as personally I would have sent a Tech out.

Let us know if the is any change when you receive it, plus when you do you will need to call the Quickstart department on 0800 953 9500 to add the modem to your account as Tech Support will just transfer the call to them anyway.

Efour
24-11-2008, 23:06
yes when i first subscribed I was on 20mbit

about 6 months ago i dropped down to 10mbit to save some cash as i never really used it as much as i had intended.

I most play online games and this problem is very noticeable now.. manifesting its self as a 10-15s loss of connectivity... the modem never actually un-syncs

Well thanks for your advice and time. Its much appreciated.

This is actually the 3rd time in as many years where i have had this almost identical problem - always related to peak hours..

xspeedyx
24-11-2008, 23:15
I would have demanded a tech mate the problem is the power levels, doubt new modem will sort it

Efour
25-11-2008, 00:16
I agree, so what exactly does this "line check" they do, DO ? Surely they can see the power levels and that should raise an alarm???

Efour
26-11-2008, 16:42
Well, got the new modem today - the 256 as you predicted, very good delivery time..

Activated via the phone and logged into the diagnostic page...

Now the nice indian lady i spoke to, when i requested an engineer told me How could i possibly know the signal levels? I tried to expalin that i used the diagnostics page of the modem and she basically laughed at me and told me i was being stupid, Only they can know the signal levels... I felt a bit insulted, so was wondering wehat i should do next, or how to speak to a British tech support agent.

Can you or anyone confirm these levels are incorrect and can i escalate the fault ASAP - ive had it for over 10 days now and its making gaming impossible... yes im a geek i need my game fix in the evenings, it helps me to wind down after work.

Cable Modem Upstream Upstream Lock : Locked Upstream Channel ID : 2 Upstream Frequency : 37500000 Hz Upstream Modulation : QAM16 Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec Upstream transmit Power Level : 40.0 dBmV Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Cable Modem Downstream Downstream Lock : Locked Downstream Channel Id : 2 Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz Downstream Modulation : QAM64 Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17 Downstream Receive Power Level : 14.2 dBmV Downstream SNR : 38.3 dB

chickendippers
26-11-2008, 17:10
Post your signal levels on the virginmedia.support.broadband.cable newsgroup (http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/newsgroups/). They'll have an engineer round ASAP.

Axegrinder
26-11-2008, 17:13
Your downstream power is still rather too high.

joglynne
26-11-2008, 17:22
To save time waiting to get a reply from whydoIneedatech, who is probably on his way home. :D Post your Cable modem readings on the virginmedia.support.broadband.cable section of the Virgin Media Newsgroups. Set up details are here (http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/newsgroups/setting-up.php). Techies on there are UK based and are there until 10pm. They can book you an engineers visit, at your convenience, if they agree with whydoIneedatech about your downstream figure.

Add........Balderdash. Must type faster. :D

whydoIneedatech
26-11-2008, 22:45
Now the nice indian lady i spoke to, when i requested an engineer told me How could i possibly know the signal levels? I tried to expalin that i used the diagnostics page of the modem and she basically laughed at me and told me i was being stupid, Only they can know the signal levels... I felt a bit insulted, so was wondering wehat i should do next, or how to speak to a British tech support agent.

You got that Reaction as they are script reading and think only they know about such things, made laugh though:p:

Cable Modem Upstream Upstream Lock : Locked Upstream Channel ID : 2 Upstream Frequency : 37500000 Hz Upstream Modulation : QAM16 Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec Upstream transmit Power Level : 40.0 dBmV Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Cable Modem Downstream Downstream Lock : Locked Downstream Channel Id : 2 Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz Downstream Modulation : QAM64 Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17 Downstream Receive Power Level : 14.2 dBmV Downstream SNR : 38.3 dB
Downstream receive way to high for an NTL connection and will need a Tech visit.

LaineY
27-11-2008, 22:58
yup its way too high..

speak to tech support and request a tech to be sent to the cabinet to amend the downstream power level .. tell them its at 14.2 and its too high :)

should get that done within a couple of days dude.

hope all goes well