PDA

View Full Version : Children "better behaved" now than in the '70s

Stuart
24-11-2008, 15:30
At least those that make it into school..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7745772.stm

Primary school pupils are apparently better behaved now than they were in the '70s.

While I don't know for sure, I strongly doubt that is true. Admittedly, I haven't been in a primary school classroom since I left primary school (in 1981), so I could be entirely wrong.

What do other members think? Has anyone here had any recent experience working in Primary schools (be it teaching or other areas)?

cimt
24-11-2008, 16:46
I'm not sure about you, but most kids who go to school are cheeky little...

God knows what they were like in the 70s. I mean, most of these kids I'd love to slap around.

Hugh
24-11-2008, 16:52
We live about 200m from a C of E primary school (and have done for over 15 years) - never had any problems with the children.

Stuart
24-11-2008, 16:55
I'm not sure about you, but most kids who go to school are cheeky little...

God knows what they were like in the 70s. I mean, most of these kids I'd love to slap around.

in fairness, I am told that primary school children are quite a different thing to secondary school children and can actually be extremely nice pupils.

moaningmags
24-11-2008, 16:55
My 11 yr old daughter is in a class full of bitchy little brats.
Is she an angel? No, she's as bad as the rest of them and for 11 yr old children they are seriously clique(y) and nasty to each other depending on who is friends with whom on which day.

Talking back to an adult is something I'd never have done when I was a child, yet it's commonplace now.
And like cimt, I can think of more than few I'd like to slap around.

Maggy
24-11-2008, 17:58
Hmmm!

Not been into Primary school for some time so I cannot judge...However the present years 11,10 and 9 are bluddy awful behaviour wise and were disgracefully behaved when they arrived as year 7 straight out of primary education.

However the present year 8 and year 7 are rather nice and well behaved...

It does seem to me that children are far more inclined to ask why they have to do something far more often than perhaps 30 years ago.If you give them a good reason that they can respect then they are far more amenable.The phrase 'because I said so' won't do..

Anyway at least 90% of the schools population are well behaved..schools would be failing in greater numbers than they do otherwise.

dgardner
25-11-2008, 06:34
I don't think there is much difference generally apart from the 'demonisation' in the press lately.
In the 70's if you were caught scrumping you were called a scallywag but nowadays you would be a thug

zing_deleted
25-11-2008, 09:19
no thugs are the youths that beat up old ladies or knife other kids or mug people for a mobile phone

I was a kid in the 70's and I remember well what went on. There was bullying fighting little bit of shoplifting ,rose budding the odd window and rat a tat ginger. Today in some areas some kids are in street gangs carry knives as above beat up old ladies get involved in muggings etc.

Maybe the majority of kids are better behaved most likely because instead of going out they sit playing computer games and consoles but those who are involved in dodgy deeds are far far far worse than the mischief us 70's kids got upto

The Hitman
25-11-2008, 10:25
no thugs are the youths that beat up old ladies or knife other kids or mug people for a mobile phone

I was a kid in the 70's and I remember well what went on. There was bullying fighting little bit of shoplifting ,rose budding the odd window and rat a tat ginger. Today in some areas some kids are in street gangs carry knives as above beat up old ladies get involved in muggings etc.

Maybe the majority of kids are better behaved most likely because instead of going out they sit playing computer games and consoles but those who are involved in dodgy deeds are far far far worse than the mischief us 70's kids got upto

In my day you didn't even get time to fool around. It was straight to work down the mines with the pit ponys.;):D

Maggy
25-11-2008, 10:39
In my day you didn't even get time to fool around. It was straight to work down the mines with the pit ponys.;):D

Actually you are not far wrong..When I was at school the school leaving age was 15..now it's gone up to 18...I wonder if there is a correlation? :confused:

However National Service finished in 63 so it was never an element for my generation..Can't see it working now..not even while we are at war.:erm:

Angua
25-11-2008, 11:06
The niceness of primary pupils does seem to wear off in year 6 :erm:

Maggy
25-11-2008, 11:53
The niceness of primary pupils does seem to wear off in year 6 :erm:

Like I said earlier it depends on the year group.Some year 6 are better than others.It goes in cycles.:erm:

roadwolf
25-11-2008, 12:28
In my day you didn't even get time to fool around. It was straight to work down the mines with the pit ponys.;):D Perhaps you should have stayed longer at school, especially the day they did plurals. ie Ponies.:D:D:D

Hugh
25-11-2008, 12:28
Tchhhh - luxury.

You were lucky........ :D

Maggy
25-11-2008, 13:07
Perhaps you should have stayed longer at school, especially the day they did plurals. ie Ponies.:D:D:D

Maybe he had no choice..many left school before taking any public exams because their parents wouldn't sign up to them staying on to take them.That was one of the reasons for raising the school leaving age to 16 originally.;)

roadwolf
25-11-2008, 13:31
Maybe he had no choice..many left school before taking any public exams because their parents wouldn't sign up to them staying on to take them.That was one of the reasons for raising the school leaving age to 16 originally.;)
I think you will find that neither of us were making serious statements. I am 5 years older than you, so I am fully aware of the education system at the time.;)