PDA

View Full Version : BBC Iplayer and speed cuts

stevemon
24-11-2008, 12:48
Does anybody know if watching tv via Iplayer (streaming not downloading) will count towards download limits for speed management. Thanks.

Chris L
24-11-2008, 12:49
Yes.

General Maximus
24-11-2008, 13:19
in short, anything you do counts towards your download limit. Even just sitting their doing nothing counts because your modem is always sending data backwards and forwards to the network, although the amount is probably insignificant. Although you may not think you are downloading anything massive like a 700mb movie, everything you do on the internet requires that information be downloaded to your pc so you can view it. Just reading your message right now on this page means i have downloaded 60kb, and that is without navigating through the forum to get to this thread.

Normally i am very careful with my limits and i downloaded 5.5gb yesterday morning thinking i would be safe till 3, but i started watching some x-factor video on youtube (same difference :) ) and before i knew it i had download over 500mb and hit the magical 6gb limit and was screwed for the next 5 hours :(

Stuart
24-11-2008, 13:21
Does anybody know if watching tv via Iplayer (streaming not downloading) will count towards download limits for speed management. Thanks.

Watching iPlayer on your STB doesn't. Watching iPlayer on your computer (whether streaming from the website or downloading makes no difference) does.

stevemon
24-11-2008, 13:24
Thanks for replys

General Maximus
24-11-2008, 13:28
somebody was worried about how much they were downloading a couple of weeks and some people suggested various progs which monitor your bandwidth andhow much you download through the day and give you pretty graphs and stuff. I have just scrolled through the most recent 7 pages of threads and i cant find the topic but if you really want to start keeping an eye on things because you are going over your limit all the time you should take a lot at something like this http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/broadband-download-monitor.html