PDA

View Full Version : XP causes connection to drop, Vista doesn't?

DG--
23-11-2008, 17:19
Ok I'm know I'm out on a limb here but, bear with me..... ;)

I used to have to reset my VM modem 3 or 4 times a day due to the connection just dropping and stopping me accessing any sites. I never checked what the errors on the unit were, just powered down and back up and all was fine. The netgear reported that it wasn't getting an IP address

Anyway, I upgraded to Windows Vista and this problem has instantly gone away

Is anyone aware of any way Vista handles TCP/IP differently so as to make this the case?

I'm not just plucking ideas out of the air here, I mean it was literally at least 3 times a day, every day, without fail, for weeks. Now I'm running Vista, it hasn't happened once

Configuration is VM 20mb connection and Netgear WGT624

jtaylor06
23-11-2008, 18:03
I have exactly the same set up as you and today and yesterday the connection keeps dropping. No faults were reported either.

XL 20Mb
NETGEAR WGT624v4 (with latest firmware)

The router kept reporting the IP address was 192.168.100.1 instead of the actual IP address which was 92. something.

Its started working just now but with speeds of only 2MB instead of Full 20.
Theres bad weather now but its cable so it shouldn't be affected right?

Area is Telford btw

moaningmags
23-11-2008, 18:05
If your router gets 192.168.100.1 from the modem, it means the modem is either in standby (Motorola) or has lost it's connection to the VM network.
Looks like there may be an as yet unidentified network issue in your area or it was a glitch.

jtaylor06
23-11-2008, 18:11
It's one of those small black 20MB/s boxes with the Virgin Media logo on top and the green lights on front which don't have a standby button. I tried unplugging it, like it says on the white sticker on the top of it and just power cycling both the cable and router but no luck until later tonight when it just turned back on.

On the cable modem logs (from 192.168.100.1) it kept saying "MAP w/initial maintenance region received" then DCHP failed and stuff like that.

Weird really lol

General Maximus
23-11-2008, 22:19
the black modem with the Virgin logo on it is the Ambit 250. Although your problem sounds like it may be due to a genuine network fault, the funny thing is that there is thread which is the complete opposite of what you have said and a dude had connectivity issues with Vista and now he has switched back to XP everything works fine :)

Although you modem doesnt have a standby light on it you can tell when it is having issues and trying to resolve it's ip address by the ready light on the right hand side. When it is flashing constantly it is trying to connect to the VM network and sort itself out and normally this would take less than a minute and then turn solid so you know everything is ok. In your case it will keep flashing because it can't establish a connection.

Maggy
24-11-2008, 08:52
All this is nice and helpful but does anyone have any insight into the OP's situation.Is there less issues with Vista? I thought VM insisted that XP was the OS of choice? :erm:

Stabhappy
24-11-2008, 13:00
Vista's networking was rewritten entirely, and although it has a nice user friendlyness to it the networking is actaully much improved.