PDA

View Full Version : Multiple platform problems

CarrieB
21-11-2008, 23:21
Knowing I needed to be able to use both a PC and and Apple Mac I bought a wireless router to go with the virgin cable modem (they didn't supply one back when I signed up).

I keep however having 'funny' intermittent problems, sometimes several times a day, and sometimes only once every 2 or 3 days.

If I've used some sites on the Mac they won't then load on the PC unless I reboot the modem. Some are sites I have to log into, others aren't. Clearing cookies and the cache doesn't solve the problem.

Other times sites that usually are quite happy will suddenly throw a wobbly and refuse to load, or in the case of the BBC news site it will suddenly demand that I log in if I want to access that level (I only ever want to access the public news site and always do it from the same link in my favourites). Another site (a magazine) periodically redirects me to a different magazine, a bit of investigation has shown that its owned by the same parent company which makes me wonder if its a DNS problem.

I've rung virgin but they really weren't at all helpful and seem to think that rebooting the modem half a dozen times a day is reasonable.

I don't, but am stuck for ideas. Any suggestions welcomed.

moaningmags
21-11-2008, 23:29
Have you tried connecting the modem direct to one computer?
I've never heard of the issue you're experiencing.
Have you tried to reboot the router without rebooting the modem?
Does this solve the issue?
Which modem do you have?

CarrieB
21-11-2008, 23:37
The modem is just the one supplied, no idea what it is.

If I reboot the modem and plug the cable directly into the computer then its fine, but that's not much help with the ipod.

Haven't tried just rebooting the router, I'll try that the next time it plays up