PDA

View Full Version : Just formatted , now no internet connection with VM

Leighton Dan
21-11-2008, 15:01
Hi All

I can no longer access the net , the wireless card says disabled and wont enable , when i do it wired it says no connectivity , and i click in conections and theres nowt there at all , but i dont know the settings (proxy and socket etc)

Please can someone advice an idiot !?

Cheers

Dan

Graham M
21-11-2008, 15:03
Have you installed the Wireless Driver?

Leighton Dan
21-11-2008, 15:04
Have you installed the Wireless Driver?

Hi Graham

Yes , i installed the wireless belkin software...

Noggo
21-11-2008, 15:08
Daft question alert.......Is the router and cable modem switched on?

Leighton Dan
21-11-2008, 15:10
Daft question alert.......Is the router and cable modem switched on?

yep , all lights are on etc (on the vm modem)

southwell
21-11-2008, 15:11
This a laptop? Sure the switch/button isn't turned off?

Leighton Dan
21-11-2008, 15:15
yep laptop , but i dont understand what you eman , its all switched on etc

Noggo
21-11-2008, 15:19
Try uninstalling the Belkin software and then do a uninstall of the card in Windows Device Manager. Reboot and try installing from scratch.

Did Windows automatically install the drivers for the card or did you do it? Might be worth visiting the Belkin webby and see if you have the latest drivers.

Leighton Dan
21-11-2008, 15:24
Try uninstalling the Belkin software and then do a uninstall of the card in Windows Device Manager. Reboot and try installing from scratch.

Did Windows automatically install the drivers for the card or did you do it? Might be worth visiting the Belkin webby and see if you have the latest drivers.

I installed using the belkin cd mate , but i will take your advice on unistalling etc

---------- Post added at 15:24 ---------- Previous post was at 15:23 ----------

although this doesnt explain why the wired connecton straight to the VM modem doesnt work....

Noggo
21-11-2008, 15:27
wireless network switch on the laptop (something like numbers 2 & 3 on the image below)
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2008/11/19.jpg

---------- Post added at 15:27 ---------- Previous post was at 15:24 ----------

although this doesnt explain why the wired connecton straight to the VM modem doesnt work....

Have you power cycled the cable modem and router (turn them off for 10s, then turn the power back on)

southwell
21-11-2008, 15:31
yep laptop , but i dont understand what you eman , its all switched on etc
There is normally a switch on the laptop to turn the wireless on and off, or on the keyboard. What make/model is it? When this is turned off the connection will say disabled.

Seeing as your saying Belkin, am i right in assuming you don't have wireless built in and it's a stick you plug in to get wireless?

Leighton Dan
21-11-2008, 15:34
There is normally a switch on the laptop to turn the wireless on and off, or on the keyboard. What make/model is it? When this is turned off the connection will say disabled.

Seeing as your saying Belkin, am i right in assuming you don't have wireless built in and it's a stick you plug in to get wireless?

Hi
Yes it’s a plug in card , I didn’t notice anywhere a switch where it could turn itself off (the card) I am using a IBM R40 Thinkpad.

southwell
21-11-2008, 15:36
Ok, try plugging your modem directly into the laptop, reset the modem and see if that gives a connection?

Leighton Dan
21-11-2008, 15:36
What about this bit guys.....

and i click in conections and theres nowt there at all , but i dont know the settings (proxy and socket etc)

?

Dan

southwell
21-11-2008, 15:37
You wont have a proxy, ignore that.

Leighton Dan
21-11-2008, 15:40
Ok, try plugging your modem directly into the laptop, reset the modem and see if that gives a connection?

tried that mate , used a lead and plugged directly in !

southwell
21-11-2008, 15:43
What did the connection say? Did you get an ip address? If you don't reset the modem it wont switch over.

Leighton Dan
21-11-2008, 15:49
What did the connection say? Did you get an ip address? If you don't reset the modem it wont switch over.

it said limited or no conenctivity when i try wired , and just nothign , no lights or anything on the wireless card when i try wireless although the router and modem are flashing away merrirly ! , i will try your advice from earlier when i get home !!
no IP address either

Dai
21-11-2008, 18:29
and i click in conections and theres nowt there at all

There are no widgets showing at all? Nothing for either the wired or wireless NICs?

Does Device Manager show any yellows or unknown items?