PDA

View Full Version : cant count ?

tweetypie/8
21-11-2008, 13:49
i am truly amazed at how many adults cant do simple maths without the aid of a calculator,watched the weakest link the other night and a guy who is a science tec couldnt subtract 16 from 27 he was totally lost,i have seen this occuring several times on the telly and its worrying to think that simple mental arithmetic is going down the tubes

Russ
21-11-2008, 13:53
To be fair when you're on national tv, under pressure, hot studio lights shining down, audience of 150 staring at you, it has been known for some people to get flustered.

TheNorm
21-11-2008, 15:01
i am truly amazed at how many adults cant do simple maths ...

Yes, especially those who work in shops - if the till is broken they have to reach for a calculator. When I hand them the correct money for three items they look absolutley amazed.

Even worse, try handing over £5.18 for a £3.68 transaction. When the till tell them to give me a pound coin and a 50p piece they look at me as if I'm some sort of magician!

And before you ask, I only have a GCSE* in math.

* actually, it is an O-level, but who remembers those?

Russ
21-11-2008, 15:05
in math.

Maths - last time I checked we weren't flying the stars and stripes yet ;)

A good friend of mine is 'numerically' dyslexic - and he works in a shop but has a posh touch-screen till which works it all out for him.

Gary L
21-11-2008, 15:23
I remember when I was in junior school, and I was the best at maths in my class. we had parents in the classroom and my teacher wanted to show me off to them. he asked me what 6x7 was and I messed it up.

I'll never forget it :)

Kymmy
21-11-2008, 15:25
I take it that was your "meaning of life" time??

TheNorm
21-11-2008, 15:28
..."meaning of life" ...

;) :D

pabscars
21-11-2008, 15:29
i am truly amazed at how many adults cant do simple maths without the aid of a calculator,watched the weakest link the other night and a guy who is a science tec couldnt subtract 16 from 27 he was totally lost,i have seen this occuring several times on the telly and its worrying to think that simple mental arithmetic is going down the tubes

easy peasy its 10 innit:D

Osem
21-11-2008, 15:33
* actually, it is an O-level, but who remembers those?

I do ;)

I once went into our local Woolies and bought 4 garden planters at £5.00 each and a couple of other small bits and pieces costing about a pound or under each. I have no idea what she did but when she'd rung up the items, the young lady on the till told me the total due was something like £8.50!! The fact that there were 4 items each costing £5 (hence a total of £20 on their own) didn't seem to register with her at all.

TheNorm
21-11-2008, 15:40
...Woolies ....

No wonder they are in trouble (see other thread...)

v0id
21-11-2008, 16:30
Yes, especially those who work in shops - if the till is broken they have to reach for a calculator

To be honest, as it wouldn't be my money I'd use a calculator on a till for multiple transactions if it was broken too.

pabscars
21-11-2008, 16:44
fingers and toes work for me....... lol

Osem
24-11-2008, 22:10
No wonder they are in trouble (see other thread...)

Yes, quite possibly.. ;)

Pia
24-11-2008, 22:17
When i worked in the butchers back in 1973... (okay, it was like 2001) we had to weigh the item in grams, work out the cost per kg or lb's depending how it was priced, and therefore the cost of their meat, and do the same with multiple items, add up total and work out the change.....all with no calculator :D

It's probably not as easy as you think if you're doing it during busy times, i did ok though, it's basic stuff most people should be able to do no problem.