PDA

View Full Version : Internet dropping for last two days. are my signal levels ok?

enigma27
21-11-2008, 11:22
Hi guys.

My virgin cable connection has been timing out constantly for the last two days. had a similar problem in my old house and engineer said it was down to signal levels being off.

could someone have a look at the below and see if they look right?

downstream:

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 2
Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : -15.0 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 25.8 dB

Upstream:

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 3
Upstream Frequency : 22000000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 45.8 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

im using the little black modem think its a 256 model but am unsure if im on ex-ntl or telewest.

im in the east london area IG8

basically phone technical support who said their is no problem ( really try sitting here using the net everytime it times out ) and that all they can do is send me a new modem. I have a spare modem which i plugged in to check singal levels and they were the same.

whydoIneedatech
21-11-2008, 11:52
Hi guys.

My virgin cable connection has been timing out constantly for the last two days. had a similar problem in my old house and engineer said it was down to signal levels being off.

could someone have a look at the below and see if they look right?

downstream:

Downstream Receive Power Level : -15.0 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 25.8 dB

Upstream:

Upstream Channel ID : 3
Upstream Frequency : 22000000 Hz
Upstream transmit Power Level : 45.8 dBmV

im using the little black modem think its a 256 model but am unsure if im on ex-ntl or telewest.

im in the east london area IG8

basically phone technical support who said their is no problem ( really try sitting here using the net everytime it times out ) and that all they can do is send me a new modem. I have a spare modem which i plugged in to check singal levels and they were the same.

The downstream is to high for your connection and would need a Tech to sort it out.

I would say that you are EX-NTL

enigma27
21-11-2008, 11:58
I thought as much..

i spoke to technical support and the guy in India said the only people who could tamper with the connection is the call centre in Swansea.. BUT there is no number for them and i would have to phone the same 0845 number and hope i randomly get put through.

Also managed to speak to an engineer in the neighbours house downstairs who is having problems with internet ( connected to same inlet into house ) so seems like there is definitely a fault but i cannot get the support guys to except this fact.

whydoIneedatech
21-11-2008, 12:01
I thought as much..

i spoke to technical support and the guy in India said the only people who could tamper with the connection is the call centre in Swansea.. BUT there is no number for them and i would have to phone the same 0845 number and hope i randomly get put through.

Also managed to speak to an engineer in the neighbours house downstairs who is having problems with internet ( connected to same inlet into house ) so seems like there is definitely a fault but i cannot get the support guys to except this fact.
Try http://www.saynoto0870.com/ for alternative numbers

enigma27
21-11-2008, 13:16
yay \0/

managed to get through to a guy in the UK who took one look at my modem stats and went 'yep those numbers aint right' but i gotta wait till monday for an enginner :(

just shows how badly trained the indian call centers are.. i know they only do what they are taught but they just seem to have no common sense.

whydoIneedatech
21-11-2008, 16:06
yay \0/

managed to get through to a guy in the UK who took one look at my modem stats and went 'yep those numbers aint right' but i gotta wait till monday for an enginner :(

just shows how badly trained the indian call centers are.. i know they only do what they are taught but they just seem to have no common sense.
I would have booked a Tech if I took your call:D

joglynne
21-11-2008, 17:10
The downstream is to high for your connection and would need a Tech to sort it out.

I would say that you are EX-NTL

Why is -15 dBmV described as high?

I'm in no way querying your description but it seems weird to have minus figures being 'high'. Remember I'm technically challenged so single syllable words in your answer if at all possible. :D

Stabhappy
21-11-2008, 17:13
https://www.tselectronic.com/tech_notes/db.html?tse_Session=8f5c08e6d0d1c48c6f5d59dd0839b6 5d

:)

joglynne
21-11-2008, 18:01
https://www.tselectronic.com/tech_notes/db.html?tse_Session=8f5c08e6d0d1c48c6f5d59dd0839b6 5d

:)

Thanks for the interesting link Stabhappy. :tu: It took 3 readings to find out that I was none the wiser. :dunce:

I now understand how the dBmV scale originated and how 1000 microvolt was represented as 0 dBmV. I could even speak the speak if pushed. :D ....... but...... I still don't understand why -15 decibel-millivolts is a high reading.

To keep the thread on topic maybe it's best if I stay happily in ignorance and file this along with all the other questions in the section of my brain that is still trying to fathom the meaning of life. Maybe I'll start a thread one day for unanswered questions.

XFS03
22-11-2008, 09:37
Why is -15 dBmV described as high?

I'm in no way querying your description but it seems weird to have minus figures being 'high'. Remember I'm technically challenged so single syllable words in your answer if at all possible. :D
In real terms the number is actually a low reading, as it is more negative than the ideal range of downstream power levels, so there is nothing wrong with your logic joglynne.

Just to confuse you a bit more, in absolute terms the reading is high, since absolute numbers disregard the sign of a number (e.g. 5 is the absolute value [or modulus] of +5 or -5).

joglynne
22-11-2008, 12:01
Thanks XFSo3.

This is sooooooooo much sounding like a male thing..ie..why make something simple if you can confuse this issue with technicalities. < jo shakes head sadly and walks quickly away>...:D

enigma27
24-11-2008, 18:44
just to give everyone an update on this issue.

just had techy guy out and he basically move me down the cabinet and its become worse.

Downstream Receive Power Level : -16.6 dBmV <-- this is too high.
Downstream SNR : 27.8 dB <- i have been told this should be 30db+ anything below is bad

Upstream Channel ID : 6
Upstream Frequency : 46384000 Hz
Upstream transmit Power Level : 58.3 dBmV <- this is fine but because its fine the network manager wont do nowt

he then proceeded to tell me there is nothing he can do unless at least three people on the same cabinet report the same error... so unless three other people complain im stuck with a connection that cuts out every 2 mins forever!

i got a funny feeling that some other techy has fiddled with some other house connection and moved mine to a bad noisy connection without telling cos its been 100% fine for 6 months before last tuesday...

This is all becoming fishy now.

whydoIneedatech
24-11-2008, 18:48
just to give everyone an update on this issue.

just had techy guy out and he basically move me down the cabinet and its become worse.

Downstream Receive Power Level : -16.6 dBmV Way to low
Downstream SNR : 27.8 dB

Upstream Channel ID : 6
Upstream Frequency : 46384000 Hz
Upstream transmit Power Level : 58.3 dBmV To high

he then proceeded to tell me there is nothing he can do unless at least three people on the same cabinet report the same error... so unless three other people complain im stuck with a connection that cuts out every 2 mins forever!

i got a funny feeling that some other techy has fiddled with some other house connection and moved mine to a bad noisy connection without telling cos its been 100% fine for 6 months before last tuesday...

This is all becoming fishy now.
You need to call up and get a tech out as both the Downstream and the Upstream are out and will cause you to disconnect.

Take no notice of 3 people need to complain, how likely is that, ring up now.

Axegrinder
24-11-2008, 18:53
- 16.6 is way too LOW. the "-" isnt to space out the gap, is it actually a minus figure, i.e your not getting enought downstream power to your modem. 27.8dB is borderline. As for the upstream 58.3dbmv is also borderline. ;)

enigma27
24-11-2008, 20:53
well it staid connected for 2 hours which is longer than the usual 2 mins. the guy is gonna have a look tommorow when hes back in the area see if theres anything more he can do.

edit: nope its back to doing it every 2 mins.