PDA

View Full Version : Sound right to you?

Qu3
20-11-2008, 21:33
Hey

Our VM 20meg in Stafford is increasing disconnecting itself and a good old turn it off an on again approuch on the router sorts it out untill its next over dose.

Just so I can tell myself I'm not wasting some money on a new router would you guys say it is the router rather than the internet and modem?

Its the free thing we got from VM v6 not heard any problems with it but I'm guessing its not the best thing around and can't handle our network anymore, at any one time we have 13 devices using the network wired and wireless.

Stabhappy
20-11-2008, 21:46
any of those 13 using peer 2 peer regularly?

Qu3
20-11-2008, 22:06
Yea, one uses utorrent, its setup to download at low speeds however.. why?

whydoIneedatech
20-11-2008, 22:27
Hey

Our VM 20meg in Stafford is increasing disconnecting itself and a good old turn it off an on again approuch on the router sorts it out untill its next over dose.

Just so I can tell myself I'm not wasting some money on a new router would you guys say it is the router rather than the internet and modem?

Its the free thing we got from VM v6 not heard any problems with it but I'm guessing its not the best thing around and can't handle our network anymore, at any one time we have 13 devices using the network wired and wireless.
You are killing your own connection, as the router can either provide broadband for up to 10 wireless or up to 4 via ethernet not all at once, so if you have up to 13 on your router then that is what happens.

Qu3
20-11-2008, 22:30
Ah, right well the devices and made up of laptops, ipod/other wireless devices, xboxes and desktops, a student house of student so there is a few computers.

Can you recommend a router?

whydoIneedatech
20-11-2008, 22:42
Ah, right well the devices and made up of laptops, ipod/other wireless devices, xboxes and desktops, a student house of student so there is a few computers.

Can you recommend a router?
I would ask in this thread for router recommendations or advice on how to accommodate everyone on your connection.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/87/

Joxer
20-11-2008, 23:01
whydoIneedatech, sorry to contradict but if the router only supports 10 devices then why is the dhcp range (iirc) 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.50 ? the ten via wireless I think is correct, but the 4 via Ethernet can be expanded by using a switch, hub or indeed another router (which could also expand the wireless connections). Incidentally using two routers (or three or four) can dramatically increase security, for the paranoid amongst us.

whydoIneedatech
20-11-2008, 23:08
whydoIneedatech, sorry to contradict but if the router only supports 10 devices then why is the dhcp range (iirc) 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.50 ? the ten via wireless I think is correct, but the 4 via Ethernet can be expanded by using a switch, hub or indeed another router (which could also expand the wireless connections). Incidentally using two routers (or three or four) can dramatically increase security, for the paranoid amongst us.
That is the amount of connections quoted for that router in the link below, so you are not contradicting me:D

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/wireless/faqs.php

Remember that this router is not a standard Netgear WGR614 as it has Virgins own embedded firmware onboard and cannot be altered without bricking the router.

I am not a router expert so advised the OP to ask for advice about getting a better connection and you have come forward with advice.

Joxer
20-11-2008, 23:18
You can connect up to 10 computers wirelessly or up to 4 digital devices (games consoles, printers, etc) via ethernet using the 4 ethernet ports on the back of the wireless router.

This bit? I think the etc has to include a switch or hub thus (after fiddling with the dhcp settings) you can attach 253 pcs, using routers it starts getting into silly numbers (I don't fancy the speed), using just the 192.168 ranges you are talking of over 60,000 and there are stil the 10.x ranges as well..

Don't fancy MRTG on that lot either.

whydoIneedatech
20-11-2008, 23:29
This bit? I think the etc has to include a switch or hub thus (after fiddling with the dhcp settings) you can attach 253 pcs, using routers it starts getting into silly numbers (I don't fancy the speed), using just the 192.168 ranges you are talking of over 60,000 and there are stil the 10.x ranges as well..

Don't fancy MRTG on that lot either.
Thats what I mean, they only recommend 10 wireless or 4 wired no compromise otherwise they would get irate calls.:D

Stabhappy
21-11-2008, 18:09
OP, you can save your connection from the sheer stupidity by getting all your totaly legal linux ISO's from Usenet. The problem isn't the speed of the downloads, it's the sheer number of connections per second to the router. It simply can't handle it.