PDA

View Full Version : Broadband minimum 12-month contract

iantresman
20-11-2008, 16:02
I've been a Virgin customer for 5 years, and wanted to add on Broadband XL. But it must be for a minimum of one year. Unfortunately we're trying to move house (to a non-cable area), so we don't know if we'll be here for year.

Even though I'm willing to pay the non-discounted price, don't need a modem, and used to have broadband with them 3 years ago, they still won't let me take it. Strange.

BenMcr
20-11-2008, 16:19
Even if you were to add it on now and move to a non-cable area, as long as you took Virgin National (ADSL) Broadband you would not be charged for closing your cable account in contract

chickendippers
20-11-2008, 16:24
Out of interest why don't you need a modem? If you still have the modem from 3 years ago they won't reactivate it for you and it might not be capable of 20Mb anyway.

Aragorn
20-11-2008, 16:26
Iirc, the T&C's allow you to get out of a 12m contract if you move to an area that is non-cable, providing you give a decent notice.

zing_deleted
20-11-2008, 16:29
just dont tell em thats the plan when you join lol

BenMcr
20-11-2008, 16:33
Iirc, the T&C's allow you to get out of a 12m contract if you move to an area that is non-cable, providing you give a decent notice.
Not anymore they don't

iantresman
20-11-2008, 21:16
Even if you were to add it on now and move to a non-cable area, as long as you took Virgin National (ADSL) Broadband you would not be charged for closing your cable account in contract

Well, that's a thought. Though I might have to downgrade the speed, although BT 21CN PSTN is due in Q2 2009.

Out of interest why don't you need a modem? If you still have the modem from 3 years ago they won't reactivate it for you and it might not be capable of 20Mb anyway.

My set-top box has an ethernet port, which worked fine then, though it's an old Pace Di 4000, which I think was good for 4Mb/s.

whydoIneedatech
20-11-2008, 21:22
My set-top box has an ethernet port, which worked fine then, though it's an old Pace Di 4000, which I think was good for 4Mb/s.
You will not get a STBactivated or even reactivated as Virgin want all customers to get broadband via a modem.

If you are a legacy customer ( already getting broadband through a STB ) they will swap your STB for another on broadband but would prefer you to get a modem.

BenMcr
20-11-2008, 21:44
Well, that's a thought. Though I might have to downgrade the speed, although BT 21CN PSTN is due in Q2 2009.
Virgin can provide up to 8Mb to the whole country and if you end up moving onto a C&W (ex-Bulldog) exchange you might be able to get up to 16Mb