PDA

View Full Version : Cannot connect to certain websites - different problem to others

medicman
20-11-2008, 10:48
Hi all,

I cannot connect to at least two specific websites using my virgin cable connection.

http://threestore.three.co.uk/default.aspx?ID=1201

the other is my bank account with Cheltenham and Gloucester (not giving out details;))

I am in Cwmbran on 20mbit connection using the black foxconn virgin media modem connected to my plexus (Tenda) wireless N router.

Neither the laptop (via wireless) or my pc connected to router via a cable will connect to the three store (can browser most of the rest of the site).

ANyone got one of these on virgin? Like the idea of a wireless N and gigabit network (work well with my D-link NAS)

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/128049/show_product_overview

Now the strange part: If I connect the PC or laptop directly to the modem via a cable both will conenct to the sites I cannot access via the router. If I connect my old netgear router (from virgin) to the modem again both the PC and latop will connect to the three store.

I changed to the plexus router as the netgear is a pile of crop and gives me all sort of other issues such as cannot connect to games and locks up etc.

As far as I know the p[lexus router has never been able to connect to the three store.

There may be other sites it cannot connect to also.

I can connect either the pc or my latop via my modem in my mobile phone to the three shop site without problem.

So the question is:
Is there some stupid virgin setup issue with a different router that I am missing that will enable connection to these specific sites via the plexus router?

OR

Is this plexus router having a issue and needs to be replaced?

I have played with everything in the plexus router settings, changed MTU, tried different dns server settings, cloned PC mac address........

tearing my hair out here.... help. (other than this one very very annoying issue the tenda is a good cheap wireless n router.

Anyone sugguest anothe rgood router that can connect to all sites?

I am wonderingif it is anything to do with the aspx? bit on the end of the webaddress?

Stabhappy
20-11-2008, 16:47
I had the cheapy plexus (white and orange box, white case with shoddy green LED's?). It was awful. COuldn't ping from my adress to any website but could visit them fine. Couldn't port forward at all, dumped it like the P.O.S. it is :D

medicman
20-11-2008, 18:21
I had the cheapy plexus (white and orange box, white case with shoddy green LED's?). It was awful. COuldn't ping from my adress to any website but could visit them fine. Couldn't port forward at all, dumped it like the P.O.S. it is :D

Well to be honest it has worked far far better than the POS that virgin gave me and charge me £7 (netgear 834?).

its just these two sites...

Did you have similar problems can connect to certain sites?

Stabhappy
20-11-2008, 18:35
no, according to the router though I shouldldnt have been able to connect to any site. It seems to me that you're having issues with SSL encrypted webpages, perhaps that's linked?

Joxer
20-11-2008, 19:44
Hmm, could be bogon filters, but seems unlikely ona site like three - but still possible even if it is only part of it, the shop is likely to be tighter security wise than the rest of the site (bearing in mind that each device will have different ip addresses).

I take it you can't access the link you posted? In that case it rules out ssl as that site is not secure.

Could be a routing issue on the router, is it using a proxy? If so try rtemoving it, if not try adding one webcache.blueyonder.co.uk port 8080 should work.

Could be a VM routing issue - there is a routing issue on one of the subnets in somewhere begining with W, can't remember where,maybe Wakefield, maybe not, definetly subnet beggining 77. though.

And you say you can't access them - but what happens when you try?

medicman
21-11-2008, 07:10
Hi Joxer,

basically when I try to access this webpage explorer just takes for ever and doesnt load and page unavailble thingy appears (eventually).

I can't find any proxy settings on the router (should it have any?). I have tried the webcache thing as a proxy in internet explorer and still the same.

I am believing its the router but before I spend £80 on a new one I wanted to see if any intelligent gent on here would know a fix for this plexus router.

The thing that gets me is that the netgear router that Virgin supplied me works ok with this sites as soon as I plug it in (and turn the modem off and back on of course). I would expect the plexus to either work completely or don't work completely.

Just to confirm I can connect to these sites if I use the netgear router supplied by virgin (its just a POS in other areas of performance). I cannot connect to these sites when using my plexus router, all the rest of my network is the same including pc, laptop, network switch and NAs drive.

cheers for the help so far, any thing else I coudl try all???

medicman
02-12-2008, 06:48
Just to give everyone and update (some poor soul might have the same router).

Yup, its the router... bought a D-Link DIR655 and no problems connecting to websites now!

thanks for the replies