PDA

View Full Version : Can we not use torrents with VM?

mufc4evauk
20-11-2008, 02:51
I don't use P2P much but now and again I'll use it for game patches and demo's released by Sports Interactive.

Trying to download the FM2009 demo but have had nothing but disconnections since doing so yet if I close utorrent the disconnections suddenly stop.

Any idea's?

O.G
20-11-2008, 03:51
No problems with torrents here.

xspeedyx
20-11-2008, 08:56
I don't use P2P much but now and again I'll use it for game patches and demo's released by Sports Interactive.

Trying to download the FM2009 demo but have had nothing but disconnections since doing so yet if I close utorrent the disconnections suddenly stop.

Any idea's?

Are you using a router also you need to limit your upload what connection are you using, what client are you using, we need more information

General Maximus
20-11-2008, 10:22
if you look at other threads everyone is having problems with their connections dropping atm. I only notice in the evening just before i go to bed between 11-12 and it doesnt last long. I know if it is anything to do with network congestion or something, I doubt it at that time of night.

Anyways, I use torrents all the time and for the most part, don't have a problem at all. I use Azureus/Vuze as my client, limit my max upload speed to 80k/sec on my 20mbit connection and the max number of global connections to 250 and tell it to use port 10000.

kpanchev
20-11-2008, 10:30
There isn't any problem with VM in general and had never been. Problems with torrents are most often due to misconfiguration of the client software (the upload speed in particular), sometimes due to technical problems in a given area (but then it is not only the torrents that get affected), but these are usually sorted out in a matter of days (if not hours).
Sometimes problems can occur if you have a crap router not being able to handle the big amount of connections a torrent client creates.

General Maximus
20-11-2008, 10:43
that is thing, recently people are reporting connection drops across the board. I have noticed it with everything apart from gaming tbh.

mufc4evauk
20-11-2008, 13:59
Are you using a router also you need to limit your upload what connection are you using, what client are you using, we need more information

I'm using a router yeah but also tested without.

Was using Utorrent but when I tried with BitTornado it didn't seem to happen.

xspeedyx
20-11-2008, 14:56
Ok utorrent is always my choice how ever if you look at the speedguide choose the best for the package your on, use 768k upload if your on 20Mb, any thing else once you have tryed this post back here please

General Maximus
20-11-2008, 15:13
i found ages ago that although i tend to max out at 96k up if i let torrents use all of it my download speed fluctuates all over the place which is why i always restrict my upload to 80k so my prog can use the extra bandwidth for whatever it does in sending packets backwards and forwards so it knows what i have got.

Turkey Machine
20-11-2008, 15:24

Any idea's?

Have you done port forwarding on the router? Do this and see whether the connection still drops out. If it does, connect up the computer to the modem and see whether it still drops out. If it does, your connection's got issues. If it doesn't, something's wrong with the router.

aurora88
20-11-2008, 21:03
im having a similar problem....been using utorrent for years now, but lately my upload speed has been incredibly slow, not even 20 kb/s which makes seeding a very difficult task especially on private trackers where seeding is essential. does anybody have any ideas, help would be very appreciated. :)

stu8975
20-11-2008, 21:45
Same here..over the last week its been slow..av..10kB/s...might have something to do with the ubr upgrades.

xspeedyx
21-11-2008, 09:01
Are you making sure your limiting your upload

Gavin78
21-11-2008, 11:02
I've noticed more in the last week that the internet, more evening time as late as 1am gets a little sluggish, could be as said loads of users on at once, I notice more of a slow down around 4-9pm more so about an hour after the school kids get home.

Could it be anything to do with the 50mb roll out and the exchange?

Another thing I have noticed with torrents that I dont get anymore

1 if there are more than one person on a computer downloading from a torrent site can crash the modem

2 depends on the modem, but as others have said if the upload is set too high it can crash out the modem again. I dont get the modem crashing anymore although I dont use torrent sites as much as I used to

TheDon
21-11-2008, 12:10
The most likely cause of connection drops using p2p is the maximum simultaneous connections being hit, the upload speed won't effect anything other than saturating the connection and slowing your download, whereas hitting the maximum connections can cause the network stack to fall over and restart, causing you to disconnect and then reconnect.

In your BT client limit the amount of connections to 50 and you shouldn't get disconnected. Then you can start raising the limit until you reach the point where you get disconnected again, and then knock it back down to a stable level.

roughbeast
22-11-2008, 08:09
Virgin has no problems with torrents. I downloaded the complete discography of Frank Zappa, (my hero,) the other day, ie 18 gb using Azureus.

I suggest that it is your torrent software causing problems. Try reinstalling it. Check to see if it is allowed in your firewall exceptions. Alternatively try different software.

I am biased. Try Azureus. http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

xspeedyx
22-11-2008, 08:56
I used to use Azureus and now I only use utorrent