PDA

View Full Version : dialtone on Virgin media telephone

pacman1
19-11-2008, 21:07
Hi

I am using a work laptop to connect to my work network using dial up.I cannot use BB for security reasons.I sometimes get a non standard UK dial tone so I am unable to use dial up.I can use the phone without any issue.Is there a way of getting this fixed without have a new BT line installed

Thanks

piggy
19-11-2008, 21:14
if you get a staggered/interupted dial tone it usually means you have a message waiting
so retrieve the message or get the feature turned off (sometimes the only answer)

whydoIneedatech
19-11-2008, 21:17
Hi

I am using a work laptop to connect to my work network using dial up.I cannot use BB for security reasons.I sometimes get a non standard UK dial tone so I am unable to use dial up.I can use the phone without any issue.Is there a way of getting this fixed without have a new BT line installed

Thanks
Get your employer to install a BT line.

I would not have thought that a phoneline would be more secure than a broadband cable, especially as you must be using secure software.

Chris
19-11-2008, 21:21
I cannot use BB for security reasons.

Is that what your employer's telling you? I suspect it has more to do with them being unwilling to pay to have VPN properly and securely set up.

I've worked for some *extremely* high security outfits in my time and none of them has ever had any qualms about using broadband VPN for homeworking.

pacman1
19-11-2008, 21:23
Thanks very much piggy.This has solved all my problems.Thanks again

multiskilled
19-11-2008, 21:25
if you get a staggered/interupted dial tone it usually means you have a message waiting
so retrieve the message or get the feature turned off (sometimes the only answer)

To retrieve messages dial 1571.

piggy
19-11-2008, 21:26
Thanks very much piggy.This has solved all my problems.Thanks again

no problem glad its sorted.

m419
20-11-2008, 20:42
You may also getting a varied dial tone in some areas when you dial the following:

141 Number withold
1470 Number release
*80,*81,#80 and #81 Call baring functions
Pressing 'R' or the 'Recall' button depending on what phone you use

Also if you use pulse dialing instead of Tone dialing, you may also experience this dial tone,so its better to use Tone dialling, Tone dialling is when you hear the key tones on your phone when you press the numbers on your telephone keypad.