PDA

View Full Version : Can you get a second modem without a second subscription?

EvilRoySlade
19-11-2008, 17:35
Hey folks. My modem and router are currently upstairs and connected to my PC and 360. However I'm getting a second 360 for the living room but don't want to buy a wireless card as they're a rip off and my signal to my PS3 in the same room is ropey as it is. Can you get a second modem to hook these babies up hard wired? I have the splitters and cables already - all I'd need is a modem.

Not sure if it's best to just buy a modem online and configure it myself. Or is that an illegal option? Anyone else in here been faced with a similar dilemma?

Thanks man.

kpanchev
19-11-2008, 17:40
The only modems that you can connect to your line are the ones supplied by Virgin. Any other modem is 1. illegal 2. not going to work, as it is not registered on the Virgin's system.
For your case you would best get a router and then run a utp cable to your box, if you don't want to buy a wireless card.

Aragorn
19-11-2008, 17:41
Illegal!

If wireless coverage is poor, have a look at ethernet over power options (aka Homeplug).

Kymmy
19-11-2008, 17:42
If you got hold of a second one all you'll have is a glorified doorstop as every modem needs to be registered to an account before they'll work online

EvilRoySlade
19-11-2008, 17:44
The only modems that you can connect to your line are the ones supplied by Virgin. Any other modem is 1. illegal 2. not going to work, as it is not registered on the Virgin's system.
For your case you would best get a router and then run a utp cable to your box, if you don't want to buy a wireless card.

Okay doke, cheers KP. I'll just take the plunge and buy the 360 wireless card. I'll sell my PS3 to help pay for it! Using PSN on wireless is a waste of time and if I can't hard wire it (running cables just ain't an option) then it's going up for sale.

Thanks for your help bro.

:)

Fairway
19-11-2008, 17:59
If you got hold of a second one all you'll have is a glorified doorstop as every modem needs to be registered to an account before they'll work online

Not exactly true that is it! and yes I know details are not allowed :angel:

Fairway edit: deleted the delete

Jonnymeg
19-11-2008, 18:29
Okay doke, cheers KP. I'll just take the plunge and buy the 360 wireless card. I'll sell my PS3 to help pay for it! Using PSN on wireless is a waste of time and if I can't hard wire it (running cables just ain't an option) then it's going up for sale.

Thanks for your help bro.

:)

So if you have slitters there already why don't you put the modem in that room and then buy a wireless card for the computer?

General Maximus
19-11-2008, 18:52
i thought you couldnt get a second modem full stop, even if with an additional subscription. I thought it was one modem and line to each house that was it. If you can have 2 lines and 2 modems I want them. 2 x 20mbit will be sweet.

BenMcr
19-11-2008, 19:07
You can only have one modem per account. You can only have one account per address

General Maximus
19-11-2008, 19:36
thought so. You would have thought they would give you the option to have two though. Either internet and tv (2) or internet and internet. I have got Sky tv and Virgin broadband, things would be perfect if i could have 2 broadband lines.

BenMcr
19-11-2008, 19:53
As for the 2 x 20Mbit, what do you think the 50Mbit is for? It is also likely to be cheaper than 2 x 20mbit price ;) (just as the 20Mbit is cheaper than 2 x 10Mbit)

OldGeezer
19-11-2008, 21:27

Did you check out Aragorn's suggestion of Homeplug like devices?
It would effectively be hard wired but without running cables (other than patch cables to the homeplugs).

Turkey Machine
20-11-2008, 00:13
You can only have one modem per account. You can only have one account per address

That's not true, as I have 2 modems fully working at my address on 2 different accounts. I'd ask Virgin to stop the old one, but TBH, I'm surprised they haven't picked up on it.

BenMcr
20-11-2008, 00:16
Ok you cannot ask for one NOW.

Even when it was ntl it was not an official option, but as the system would allow it, agents would do it (along with lots of other stuff they were not authorised to do)

That all stopped for good back in May when the last ntl computer system was switched off

madtbh
23-11-2008, 16:37
Just an idea, you could try something like "NetGear Powerline Ethernet Adapter Kit"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NetGear-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter-Kit/dp/B000FU46DM/ref=sr_1_44?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1227454515&sr=8-44 - A tad expensive I know, but there are cheaper ones out there :)